General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will The Real OLA SHALOM Please stand Up?

OLA may refer to:

Places - Panama: Olá, a town - Hola iz a hawain name-for shut up yawtta it iz ola

- Russia: Ola, Russia, an urban-type settlement in Magadan Oblast, Russia; Ola River, a river in Magadan Oblast, Russia

United States: Ola, Arkansas, a city; Ola, Georgia, a census-designated place within the postal limits of McDonough, Georgia; Ola High School, a high school in McDonough, Georgia; Ola, Idaho, an unincorporated town

People: Ola Jordan, Polish dancer; Ola, a popular prefix in Yoruba names; Ola, a male or female first name of Norse origin; Ola, a female first name of Slavic origin; Ola, a spelling variation of Aulakh—a clan or gotra of Jats in India; Ola, a female first name of Arabic origin, it means most high and success

Other uses: Ola, another word for hello, hi, hey; Ola, palm leaf with ancient religious text; Ola, a Portuguese, Dutch and Belgian ice cream brand owned by Unilever; Ola, a commercial mark used by Colombian PCS operator Colombia Móvil

Shalom:

Shalom (שָׁלוֹם) is a Hebrew word meaning peace, Nothing missing, Nothing broken, wellbeing, and complete, and used to mean hello, and goodbye. As it does in English, it can refer to either peace between two entities (especially between man and God or between two countries), or to the well-being, welfare or safety of an individual or a group of individuals. It is also used as a greeting to either say hello or farewell, and is found in many other expressions and names. Its equivalent cognate in Arabic is salaam, Shlomo (ܫܠܡܐ) in Syriac-Assyrian and sälam in Ethiopian Semitic languages from the Hebrew root shin-lamed-mem (ש.ל.ם).

In expressions:

The Word "shalom" can be used for all parts of speech; as a noun, adjective, verb, and as an adverb. It categorizes all shaloms. The word shalom is used in a variety of expressions and contexts in Hebrew speech and writing:

Shalom aleichem (שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם; "well-being be upon you" or "may you be well"), this expression is used to greet others and is a Hebrew equivalent of "hello". The appropriate response to such a greeting is "upon you be well-being" ( עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם, aleichem shalom). This is a cognate of the Arabic Assalamu alaikum. On Erev Shabbat (Sabbath eve), Jewish people have a custom of singing a song which is called Shalom aleichem, before the Kiddush over wine of the Shabbat dinner is recited.
In the Gospels, Jesus often uses the greeting "Peace be unto you," a translation of shalom aleichem.
Shalom by itself is a very common abbreviation, and is used in Modern Israeli Hebrew to both greet and farewell. In this it is similar to the Hawaiian aloha, the (rather old-fashioned) English good evening and the Indian namaste. Also in Israel, especially among secular people, "b'ye" (English) and "yallah b'ye" (a mixture of Arabic and English) is popular. Shalom is also used by Jewish people around the world, and even by many non-Jewish people.

Shabbat shalom (שַׁבָּת שָׁלוֹם) is a common greeting used on Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath). This is most prominent in areas with Mizrahi, Sephardi, or modern Israeli influence. Many Ashkenazi communities in the Jewish diaspora use Yiddish Gut shabbes in preference or interchangeably.

Ma sh'lom'cha (מַה שְׁלוֹמְךָ; "what is your well-being/peace?") is a Hebrew equivalent of the English "how are you?". This is the form addressed to a single male. The form for addressing a single female is Ma sh'lomech? For addressing several females, Ma sh'lomchen? For a group of males or a mixed-gender group, Ma sh'lomchem?

Alav hashalom (עַלָיו הַשָּׁלוֹם; "upon him is peace") is a phrase used in some Jewish communities, especially Ashkenazi ones, after mentioning the name of a deceased respected individual.

Oseh shalom is the part of a passage commonly found as a concluding sentence in much Jewish liturgy (including the birkat hamazon, kaddish and personal amidah prayers). The full sentence is עוֹשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם בִּמְרוֹמָיו, הוּא יַעֲשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם עָלֵינוּ, וְעַל כָּל יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן (Oseh shalom bimromav, hu ya'aseh shalom aleynu, ve'al kol Yisrael ve'imru amen), which translates to English as "He who makes peace in His heights may He make peace upon us and upon all Israel; and say, Amen."

The word Shalom is widely used in popular Israeli songs such as "In Our Garden," "Ratziti Sheteda," and "Shalom Chaverim."

U.S. President Bill Clinton ended his eulogy for Yitzhak Rabin with the words Shalom, chaver (Goodbye, friend).

The word 'Lom (and occasionally Sh'lom) have been used (especially by Jewish teenagers) as the contracted forms of Shalom in street slang.

Shalom as a name for people:

Shalom is also common in modern Hebrew in Israel, as a given name or a surname. It is usually used by men as a given name but there are women named Shalom as well.

Notable people named Shalom include:

Sholom Schwartzbard Poet, assassin of Symon Petliura; Silvan Shalom (Israeli politician), and his wife Judy Shalom Nir-Mozes; Sholem Aleichem (Yiddish author); Sholem Asch (Yiddish author); Shalom Auslander (American author); Shalom Harlow (model and actress); Shalom Carmy (rabbi); Shalom Shachna (rabbi); Yosef Shalom Eliashiv (rabbi); Shalom Hanoch (Israeli rock musician)

Related male names include Shlomi (Hebrew name) ("my well-being") and Solomon (Hebrew Shlomo).

Related female names include Shulamit, Shulamith, Shlomtsion or Shlomzion and Salome and Shlomith.

Shalom as a name for organizations:

The name of the following organizations and places refer to "peace" between Israel and its Arab neighbors: Brit Tzedek v'Shalom; Brit Shalom; Gush Shalom; Hevel Shalom; Neve Shalom; Shalom Sesame

Shalom as name for synagogues or structures

Beth Sholom Synagogue; Shalom BC, Jewish Information and Referrals in Vancouver, Canada; Shalom Park in Charlotte, North Carolina and Denver, Colorado; Shalom Meir Tower in Tel Aviv, Israel; Shalom Christian Academy in Marion, Pennsylvania; Valley Beth Shalom in Encino, California

Shalom as the name for events

The 1982 Lebanon War is known in Hebrew as Milhemeth Shlom Hagalil (Hebrew: מלחמת שלום הגליל), which means in English, "The War for the Shalom (or Well-Being) of the Galilee".

Other uses as/in names

SS Shalom, an ocean liner operated by Zim Lines, Israel 1964-1967

OLA SHALOM:

Agbo-Ola Shalom is a Realtor/IT in the Greater Chicago Area; Agbo-ola Shalom Century 21 Universal Phone: (773) 465-0300

From the First Place Winner Poetry WInner- Elizabeth Robinson:

“People”

Martin Luther King said
“I have a dream.”
Carrie Strug won Olympics
from flipping over a beam.
Activist Jesse Jackson
Championed L.A. ebonics.
Pop singer Madonna
Birthed family harmonics.
NFTA agreement
signed more Mexican trade.
Troops sent to Bosnia
peace plans to be laid.
World gone hi-tech
Madeline Albright on deck.
As bipartisan we join
before there’s a wreck.
Twenty-first century
coming soon.
Could my neighborhood
be on the moon?
Multiculturally we eat
pizza, fajitas, taco.
Global we become
Ola, Shalom, for hello.

------

Servus! See me and email me at:
http://www.homesbyola.com/Contact_Me/page_1574766.html

Re: Will The Real OLA SHALOM Please stand Up?/Todays Tribune and a few ideas.

Good Job. I can't stop laughing. All I have for Mike is this: Hello Hello! Or: Hello Peace!

There were two interesting articles in the Tribune today that related to us in a way. The front page of the perspective section had a nice article about "big brother" being the strongest right here in Chicago. We already have the most red light cameras of any city in the US, And some of the most controlling rules too. In the Metro section the problem solver told a story of parking tickets and unfair hearings. One of the senior hearing people gave some vague hints of how to beat a ticket. Kind of weak hints. I guess this person likes her job. We can do better at showing the abuses in print, and on film.

Lets compose a letter to the Tribune telling of how we are issued tickets time and time again when not in violation of the stopping/standing law. As any driver knows, we as cab drivers have three minutes to load/unload unless we're told to move by a policeman. Perhaps a nice letter to the trib with a youtube link of a ticket being issued to a cab stopped at a curb for loading/unloading would get the word out.

Perhpas the cameras Norma wants to be inside our cabs for security would really be better off on the outside of cab for us. I dont know about you guys, but I've been victimized way more by the city than any other crooks. I would feel safer with the external camera and no shield in the taxi. However, who here really thinks the camera is safer than the shield? I'd think very few. The guys that hold us up can't even read the camera present signs.

I hate shields too, but will admit that they are better for safety than a camera lens. The only guys that can hide behind a camera lens are newspaper men. Remember this: The only way a camera helps is to find the guy once we already have been robbed and maybe even much worse, slain. Does "maybe" a guy can be caught from a fuzzy image make it ok to risk getting killed? All a camera would do for poor old Ola Shalom would be to give him a false sense of security, no more.

The safety cards the UTCC wants to post are a good idea. It doesn't hurt to spread the word about the laws protecting us. I still stand by saying the crooks can't read, but perhaps someone can translate for them. These card cost PENNIES. The cameras cost thousands and the city is considering requireing them. Do you want your civil rights violated? The next thing will be using the camera to prosecute the driver. Don't worry about losing your license, they will do you a favor and just fine you 500.00. By the way, who will pay for the cameras in the long run?Yep, you guessed it, US!

George, sorry if I broke the rules using Ola's name. At least it wasn't in vain.

okay.

A crook can break the camera after they kill a cab driver. I think are safety is not good.

Re: Will The Real OLA SHALOM Please Take a Picture

A crook can kill a cab driver.

But if he break the camera after, he is a dead man.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

A crook can break the camera after they kill a cab driver. I think are safety is not good.

Re: okay.

You are right Steve. Cameras aren't good for keeping a driver in one piece. The only guy I know of that hides behind a camera is a newsman. Good job on the new red UTCC safety signs. They are very small, but noticeable. Norma is just an idiot to say this small card clutters up the cab. (*&*((*^T(*%)*^&$% I just can't bring myself to say the rest of the things that come to mind about Norma. Wonder if we can sue to have her removed?

To Ahmed R

"Wonder if we can sue to have her removed?"-Ahmed R

I have been thinking about this. We have been disscused with UTCC member seriously. When it happened,then UTCC will do against such kind of action.Details will be announced when it comes with reality.

Hope to see you at any time as soon.And sorry to just brief information as an answer because we ,UTCC,do not discuss any of subject or strategy in this open forum. Steve Kim

If your are real Steve, Will you use Last name also?

Steve, my name is Steve Kim. To avoid any confusion, will you consider to use other name. If your name is Steve, maybe you use an initial of your last name.Please!

Re: If your are real Steve, Will you use Last name also?

I will. Steven K.

Re: Re: If your are real Steve, Will you use Last name also?

My Full name is Steven Kolakis. I am polish.