General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hanover Hassle

From the Chicago Dispatcher, July 9, 2008

Hanover Hassle
Cabdriver Tahir Alvi receives violation notice for charging meter and a half to Hanover Park.

By: Jonathan Bullington

Tahir Alvi almost couldn't believe what he was reading. As his eyes scanned the piece of paper in front of him, he thought to himself, how could this be? In 25 years of driving, his only violation was for not having a copy of his lease with him in his cab - now he was staring at a notice from the Department of Consumer Services charging him with discourteous conduct and demanding for overcharge of fare. And after he explained it to her so many times?

It all happened back in March of this year (the 14th to be exact). Alvi pulled up to the terminals at O'Hare Airport and waited in a line of 10 other cabs when a woman approached his cab asking to go to Hanover Park. Alvi dutifully exited his cab to assist her with her luggage. Before opening the trunk, he explained to her that a trip to the far-western suburb would cost her a meter and a half. She asked what meter and a half meant, to which Alvi replied by telling her how the fare would be the total on the meter plus half that total.

While they were talking, a starter approached and asked why they were talking. Alvi said the woman asked the starter for an explanation of meter and a half and again, was told the policy. In fact, Alvi went so far as to provide this woman with an example.

“I told her, if the meter is $50, meter and a half means you have to pay me $75,” Alvi said. “She said no problem.”

So, after thoroughly explaining the concept of meter and a half (which is further explained on the information card displayed for passengers in every cab), Alvi put the woman's luggage in the trunk and prepared to depart.

Before pulling off, Alvi said he did two things. First, he confirmed his route. He knew how to get to Hanover Park, but being a city driver, he wasn't familiar with the exact address of her destination. Next, he turned his meter on and pressed the extra button to add the one-dollar MPEA tax that all cabdrivers are required to charge at both O'Hare and Midway airports.

With these two steps complete, Alvi and his passenger were off to Hanover Park via I-294. While on I-294, Alvi said they passed two tolls, totaling more than $1. But, to save his customer money, Alvi said he only added $1 in extras to the fare. Upon pressing the extra button, he said his passenger started to argue, asking him why he added another dollar?

“I told her not to worry. The first dollar was for the tax and the second was for the toll,” he remembered, adding that he was willing to waive the dollar charge if it was a problem for her.

When they arrived at their destination, Alvi said the meter's total read $48.35. So, he told the woman she owed him $74.35, which included the meter and a half rate plus the $2 in extras.

“She didn't want to pay,” Alvi said. “She asked why the meter didn't show $74.35.”

Alvi said he explained to her how Chicago taximeters aren't calibrated to show the meter and a half charge, but that she was more than welcome to call the cab company or the city to complain. He said the woman called Yellow Cab and was told the same thing by them, yet she still refused to pay.

“She was not giving me my money and she was wasting my time,” Alvi said. “I felt I wasn't getting anywhere, so I told her I was going to call the police.”

When police arrived, Alvi described the situation and even showed them the information poster in the back of his cab that spells out meter and a half fares. He said police understood his point and told the woman to pay her fare.
Instead of paying the full amount, the woman gave Alvi $68, which he accepted, not wanting to waste anymore of his time. He had thought the issue was over, that is, until he received the violation notice in his mail three weeks ago. Attached to the notice was a copy of the complaint filed by this passenger. In it, she states Alvi told her the fare would be a meter and a half, wasn't familiar with the address but knew how to get to Hanover Park, added $1 when they were on I-90 and added another $1 when they passed the last toll. Her complaint acknowledges that Alvi called the police and gave her the phone to speak with them. It also states that when the police officer arrived, he listened to both sides of the story and told her to pay the fare.

Alvi's hearing is scheduled for Tuesday. While he plans to fight the complaint, he wonders why he has to waste more time and money on what seems to be a frivolous case?

“I can't understand why the city is pursuing this complaint,” he said.

Re: Hanover Hassle

This is a load of crap. How can the city get away with this? You know the lady will get to testify over the phone but the driver is going to have to come in. The charge shouldn't have been accepted by the city on its face and the driver should sue for the time he's wasting by going to court.

Pro Bono Publico Representation

My entire day is open on Tuesday, July 15. I am happy to represent this man for free. It is outrageous that he was charged with a violation.

Donald Nathan

July 15 will be a GREAT day!

The attacker (Doorman) of Brother Mohamed will appear in Court (Branch 29, Western/Belmont) in the morning on the misdemeanor battery charge, and

The other two attackers (deliver driver) of Brother Sultan will also appear in the same Court in the afternoon for the same misdemeanor charge.

Will the message be out that BATTERY TO A CABDRIVER ON DUTY IS A FELONY, if you all chose to stay home or work as usual on this day, July 15?

If you think an upgrade charge comes automatically, please think AGAIN!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My entire day is open on Tuesday, July 15. I am happy to represent this man for free. It is outrageous that he was charged with a violation.

Donald Nathan

Re: Hanover Hassle

City should evaluate the sitution before issuning any tickets. It represents our goverment. I hate to see our city staff so stupid. This driver Tahir, did what the city is written in faresheet. It is very legal from the city to listen to passenger issues. But not to forget the drivers. City should judge both passangers and drivers based on rules and regulations.
If anyone find guilty, fine must issue. Even passangers. What I see is the city always by passanger's side. ( even they are wrong, and the city knows they are wrong.) Just be fair and apply your own rules. FEAR GOD. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND ON YOU AND HARDER.