General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

It looks George is flip-flopping all over the place.

There is something missing in his thinking or logic or reasoning ow whatever, but he doesn't make much sense:

He says he wants to hire an outsider, a union lawyer to help form a union.

But who is going to pay for this? The City?

Who is going to form the core group to sponsor this legal help and assistance to form a union?

He says wants us cabbies to form a union. But we can't because we need a lawyer to help us do it.

So cab drivers are incapable of organizing without outside help.

Or they are capable because there are several organization in progress already.

But they include outsiders so they have been condemned by George.

But if they get rid of their outsiders, they won't be capable of operating anymore and they will fail.

It's a vicious circle!

But if you think about, isn't it just a "back door" way in to trash the existing organizations some more?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'll listen to Mr. Geoghegan if allowed, and I'll make my own call about his "strategy". If I'm impressed, I'll stand behind him and help him if invited to do so. If I see him as a management stooge, I'll let cabdrivers know my impression and explain exactly why. I sincerely hope I am blown away by the man.

Knowing that he's being offered up by the former general manager of Wolley Cab, a guy who survives on the income that comes from all the major fleets who advertise in his trade rag, I'm suspicious. Knowing that he was educated at an elitist institution, I tend to be even the more suspicious of him. Knowing that a convicted felon thinks he's a genius, I'm even the more suspicious. But I'd be happy to hear his ideas - not expressed by someone hawking them like George Lutfallah or the likes of a convicted felon, but rather by him.

Let's hear what there is to hear. Then let's pass judgment.

I sincerely hope for the best for the sake of cabdrivers in the Chicago Metropolitan area who are now so under the gun.

Donald Nathan

Re: Re: Automatic Annual Cost Of Living Increase Review

If every full time cab driver donated just $1 per month to the democratic election committee, I believe the mayor would be coming to us and asking what we need.

For one thing we need an Automatic Annual Cost Of Living Increase Review written into the law.

Our financial security and well being is too important to leave up to the whims and will of City Council and beaurocratic patsies who mismanage and misappropriate the taxi industry and the revenue it generates.

ww

Replying to:

There is something missing in his thinking or logic or reasoning ow whatever, but he doesn't make much sense:

Who is going to form the core group to sponsor this legal help and assistance to form a union?

He says wants us cabbies to form a union. But we can't because we need a lawyer to help us do it.

But if they get rid of their outsiders, they won't be capable of operating anymore and they will fail.

It's a vicious circle!

But if you think about, isn't it just a "back door" way in to trash the existing organizations some more?

Replying to:

I'll listen to Mr. Geoghegan if allowed, and I'll make my own call about his "strategy". If I'm impressed, I'll stand behind him and help him if invited to do so. If I see him as a management stooge, I'll let cabdrivers know my impression and explain exactly why. I sincerely hope I am blown away by the man.

Knowing that he's being offered up by the former general manager of Wolley Cab, a guy who survives on the income that comes from all the major fleets who advertise in his trade rag, I'm suspicious. Knowing that he was educated at an elitist institution, I tend to be even the more suspicious of him. Knowing that a convicted felon thinks he's a genius, I'm even the more suspicious. But I'd be happy to hear his ideas - not expressed by someone hawking them like George Lutfallah or the likes of a convicted felon, but rather by him.

I sincerely hope for the best for the sake of cabdrivers in the Chicago Metropolitan area who are now so under the gun.

Donald Nathan

"Just and reasonable" rate in 2007 and 2008?

What is the HOPE OR WISDOM for such a "hearings (but not more often than once in each period of 12 consecutive months) to determine whether a revision of the rates of fare is necessary"?

MCC 9-112-510 Taxicab rates of fare – Revision.

(c) The council may from time to time revise the rates of fare by general ordinance in conformity with the provision hereinafter set forth, which rates shall be just and reasonable. The council, through its committee on local transportation, may, and upon the application of not less than one-third of the licensees or ten percent of chauffeurs currently licensed under Chapter 9-104 of the Municipal Code, shall within 60 days after such application, hold hearings (but not more often than once in each period of 12 consecutive months) to determine whether a revision of the rates of fare is necessary. At such hearings each petitioning licensee or chauffeur may be required to submit a sworn statement of the gross income derived from the operation of taxicabs by him or under his control and all such expenses exclusive of Federal Income Taxes incurred during the immediately preceding period of 12 full calendar months. At such hearings the committee shall:

I. consider the sworn statements of gross income and expenses submitted by the licensees or chauffeurs;

II. consider the testimony and other evidence from any licensee or chauffeur who may wish to testify in support of the requested increase;

III. consider the effect of an increase in fares upon the public and take testimony from any interested individual or organization;

IV. consider the fares and practices with respect to similar services in other cities of the United States;

V. consider all other evidence or testimony which the committee deems to be relevant and material to a proper determination.

Upon completion of such hearings, said committee shall report to the council its findings and recommendations concerning a just and reasonable rate of fare. If after receiving said findings and recommendations from the committee the council determines that a rate increase is proper, it shall increase the rates in an amount to insure adequate and efficient service to the public.

Any revision of rates of fares may be made by a change in the charge for the length of the first designated portion to the trip, or by a change in the charge for the balance of the trip, for waiting time or for each additional passenger or by any combination of such changes. In making any such revision, the council may presume the average length of a trip to be as established by the licensee’s most current available records.

Replying to:

If every full time cab driver donated just $1 per month to the democratic election committee, I believe the mayor would be coming to us and asking what we need.

For one thing we need an Automatic Annual Cost Of Living Increase Review written into the law.

Our financial security and well being is too important to leave up to the whims and will of City Council and beaurocratic patsies who mismanage and misappropriate the taxi industry and the revenue it generates.

ww

Replying to:

It's a vicious circle!

Replying to:

Donald Nathan