General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: What does "The City" have to do with Illinois State Safety Law?

OLA!

The point is well made.

Get the stickers in and on every cab now!

Who cares if it's from UTCC, AUPD or CPTDA, NSC, NAC, FBI, CIA, NBC or BBC!

I got mine on and I saw several cabs with it on the bumper!

The only reason the City does not want these stickers is because they tell the real truth: CAB DRIVING IS DANGEROUS and cab drivers face this danger every minute of their shifts.

How would it look to the Oly (not Ola!) Committee if they knew that cab drivers are in danger of being attacked.

Shalom!
ww

ps: An optional safety information sticker: WARNING: SMITH & WESSON ON BOARD.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What does any of this deluge of discourse have to with protecting drivers?

The BIG IMPORTANT ISSUE is educating the public, especially those who would harm drivers.

Why anyone would want to diminish this with seemingly unimportant and apparently self-serving argument over a name and phone number is beyond reason.

It seems that the people who produced and distributed the stickers did the City and drivers a favor. They did it for FREE!

It has been argued that those who produced the stickers may be trying to serve their own interests because they added the UTCC information. So what!

Would it be OK if it included the name and number for the National Safety Council?

NSC produces and distributes tons of saftey info and every piece has NSC information on or in their materials.

What if it was sponsored by the National Advertising Council, which produces hundreds of safety and health related TV commercials, billboard messages, radio spots, news and magazine ads, which are seen around the world -- and they add the name and other sponsorship information in the tag?

Do any of you object to such crass advertising about AIDS, flu epidemics. crime prevention, fire prevention, world-wide hunger and starvation, general safety and health tips?

How about if the sticker included information about the National Center for Disease Control?

How about OHSHA or the the Department of Energy or EPA?

What if it mentioned Steve Wiedersberg or the State politicians who helped get the law passed?

Why aren't any of you up in arms over the simple fact that THE CITY HAS NOT ADOPTED A SIMILAR LAW and added it to the Municipal Code -- as it has done with many other State laws?

Why aren't you people requesting the CPD (through the Chief Jody Weis' office) issue a "Special Police Order" which is distributed to all Watch Commanders, and Police Supervisors and read to all beat cops.

And if (Heaven forbid!) another attack CPD can be reminded of the SPO and handle it as a felony from the beginning.

The statistical clock is ticking and it will not be long until another cab driver is attacked.

But it is more important - obviously - to quibble, hem and haw about 'advertising' rather than the safety of the drivers and acting to get this message on and in every taxi in Illinois.

Replying to:

UTCC is good org for cab drivers and we like u guys and we support you guys but take off your info on the cab drivers felony law from the sticker and than tell this to the city and we may get the ok to be able to post it in back sheild.

Re: What does the jail bird have to do with Weidersberg law

Dear Mr. Bubba's Wife

copy cat as usual

get an original idea

get a brain

go back to jail where you belong

Replying to:

There's nothing illegal about posting information about Wiedersberg's Law inside or outside a taxicab.

However, adding "UTCC" and contact information, however small the print, will likely be considered "advertising", if objected to.

I suggest that the "UTCC" re-issue stickers that simply contain the safety information, as I intend to do.

Beyond that important detail, I agree with Mr. Nathan's sentiments on this issue. A public awareness and official education campaign is needed.

Proactive prevention through deterence is more effective and easier than reactionary outrage after the fact. We need to get ahead of the curve.

Also, nothing which obstructs the view of the meter for passengers is permissible. I suggest that cabdrivers apply or re-apply their "safety signs" below the plexiglass, not on it.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

For the life of me, I cannot understand how anyone could think of the UTCC signs citing the Wiedersberg Law as "clutter". In the words of Dr. Laura: "What could you be thinking", Commissioner Reyes?

Every police officer in the City of Chicago and throughout the Metro area and every State's Attorney in Northeast Illinois needs active education in this new law. There shouldn't have to be a monumental effort to make every time a Stanley Shen is attacked viciously.

I'm hoping that a copy of the lawsuit in the Shen matter along with a judgment order with a print out of the law can be sent to every State's Attorney's office with the proceeds of that civil litigation that might go beyond Stanley's bills and lost wages. We need to do whatever we can to educate the police and the prosecutors.

Thank you, Concerned Cabbie, for reminding us all of how important that goal is.

give the cab drivers battery felony poster to all cab drivers

I would ask you to give that warning posters to cabbies at airport and resturants and cab companies so drivers can post it in the back.

Re: What does "UTCC" have to do with Wiedersberg's Law?

anyone who wishes could cut off the information about the UTCC from the placard and then post it like that. the important thing is to inform the public. we would also like to applaud the few drivers we've seen that have posted it on their trunks.

peter enger

Re: Re: What does "UTCC" have to do with Wiedersberg's Law?

where is the poster? i want to post it in back of my sheild.

but please take off UTCC info.

I support and like UTCC but we don't need their add on this poster and tell this to the city so maybe this racist and unfair city may agree.

response to concerned cab bie

you can look for any of our organizers at Ohare almost any day, or call the UTCC phone number to get a safety placard. you can cut off the info about UTCC if you want. 773 774 UTCC

Re: response to concerned cab bie

Your fellow drivers at O'Hare gave me a red sticker. I encourage all to get one and post it. It sure can't hurt. Fatlu Hall.