General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: george's meeting of leaders

George is a ~37 year old guy from Des Plaines Illinois. I'd say he is 5'9 with an average build. Just a guess from seeing him around. Now that I've answered your questions about his appearance, I wonder why you asked these things? I liked your post and also side with you about the hired lawyer and union idea being poor ideas.

The UTCC is indeed a very good organization. Don Nathan is helping them pro bono. Or in other words free of charge. Why start paying someone when you're already getting pro counsel for free? Part of it that he and another so called leader are embarrased to face the Nathan. They haven't been very nice to him in the past. This is my opinion, and it was reinforced when they failed to show for meetings when Nathan said he would be present.

As I have mentioned in the past the quality of the Dispatcher in MY OPINION has been slipping for awhile. It really showed when the editions went from monthly to weekly IN MY OPINION. Some of my posts on this forum have been removed due to content. George said they were allegations, not facts even though they were indeed factual. I think a fair man does allow someone to state opinion in a forum designed for it. Are you fair George? If you're actually 36 or 38 or 5'10 pardon me for the error.

clarification:

donald nathan is not officially helping the UTCC in any manner in the legal arena, pro bono or otherwise. he attends our meetings sometimes, has expressed support for our efforts, and has stated his desire to become a member in the advisory or solidarity capacity, once we start our membership drive. read the definition of such in the UTCC Voice #2.

Further Clarification

Peter Enger is correct. I want to donate my professional services and time to the UTCC, but have no official or unofficial role with the organization. I stand in solidarity with their principles, although I refuse to sign their "loyalty oath" believing my oath as an attorney to be more than enough to bind me to a code of ethics that the public can rely upon.

The UTCC meetings I attend are for the "General Members", and I do so as an "ally" of the organization. When I speak, I do so unprepared and off the cuff. I will do anything I can to help the UTCC in its membership drive, and I intend to support it financially as well. Although I am not a rich man, I will donate what I can afford and give of my time to achieve as many of the goals of the UTCC as can be accomplished.

Most of those goals are the same as those of the many other cabdriver organizations in the Chicago Metro area: CCO, CPTDA, etc. I don't care who is advancing the issues or how they are being advanced if they benefit the drivers and the industry. It isn't about me.

So there.

Donald Nathan

Re: Further Clarification

Let me see if I understand this. Nathan wants to donate his professional services to the UTCC. While Peter says Nathan has no role currently, Nathan's writings of legal opinion have appeared in the UTCC Voice. Nathans name was in the credits posted on page two of the same newspaper. I believe more than once. While Nathan might not be a member, Peter should admit that Nathan has been helping and in fact the work is pro bono. The article I saw didn't appear without Nathan's work. I never said Nathan was a member, but I did say he has been helping. His article and participation in the meetings are proof of this.

Why would George hire an attorney to help when Nathan was already on the scene? Could be that George and his President friend have already insulted Nathan on several occasions. Could also be that George has decided that the UTCC is his enemy. Go ahead and say this is allegation George. I have enough of your own writings to make my case here. What you don't know about Nathan is that he'll work with anyone and that he doesn't carry a grudge. Us long in the tooth remember him as a hard working attorney years back. There is no reason to believe he has changed.

Things would work better if 1) George sticks to the advertising business and stops pretending to hold an actual stake in this business other than an advertising man. 2) Peter would accept Nathan and let him provide his professional help. Easy to say, wonder if it will happen.

Re: Re: Further Clarification

excuse me fatlu hall,

(i really wish people would use their own names. it is so annoying, this anonymous stuff)

'pro bono': the term implies a donation of legal work. yes, donald nathan contributes to the Voice. so do many people. we are open to submissions of interest to cabdrivers. we don't pay for the contributions. donald nathan has been saying for years now that he would donate 'pro bono' legal work to any cabdrivers who ask him. i understand some of them take him up on his offers. all i am saying is that the UTCC has not found an occasion as of yet to use his legal services in any capacity. simply a statement of this fact. please try not to confuse the issue.

with all due respect, whoever you are, peter enger

Re: clarification:

Legal advice articles in the UTCC Voice aren't official help Peter? I think you forgot Nathan is one of your contributors Mr. Enger. No apology needed here. You personally are much improved and are doing good work with the UTCC sir.

Re: Re: clarification:

they aren't 'pro bono' legal help. just contributions. and how did you do that?

Re: Re: Re: clarification:

Allright Peter. However his contributions were accepted by you. He is involved with you if only just a contributor. Did you ask for his help in reference to the articles that appeared in the Voice?

Nickname Fat Lu Hall. Louis Hall.

Re: Re: Re: Re: clarification:

The UTCC is indeed a very good organization. Don Nathan is helping them pro bono. Or in other words free of charge. - Fatlu Hall posting

Nathan helped you with the article. It was a no charge thing. Or pro bono. Nathan helped some of the CPTDA file a lawsuit pro bono too. Why are you trying to distance yourself from him now?

Be friendly and you will see others cooperate with you Peter. Your organization is the very best and you deserve credit when its due. Leave the sour puss sissy fit stuff for the other publisher that runs this site.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: clarification:

mr. hall,

please. i am not trying to distance ourselves from anyone, it's just a clarification of semantics. donald nathan is not providing LEGAL services, so the use of the term 'pro bono' is incorrect. (excuse me--my parents were english teachers and i have a profound love for the correct use of language--it's a personality quirk i sometimes wish i didn't have as i spend too much time correcting people and annoying them--sorry)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: clarification:

I'll accept your answer Peter. Nathan is a contributor to your organization. Free of charge. Did you ask him to write for the Voice?

I am sure you are right about the use of pro bono reflecting that he might have done some work in the courts for the UTCC. I do understand he did this work for the CPTDA and not the UTCC although he has offered to help the UTCC as well.

Lets get with making conditions better for all in this industry! Congrats on your good start Peter!

Re: clarification:

Mr. Enger you seem to be unappreciative of the help Mr. Nathan is giving you. He provides you with content and credibility. Maybe you don't mean it this way but you're coming across as an ingrate. If you're appreciative of him, you should say so.

Re: Re: clarification:

Peter did come off the wrong way. If you read his last post he kind of realizes and gives somewhat of an apology. I truly believe he asked Nathan to write for his paper. This is the question he forgot to answer. I know for a fact Peter asked another driver I see at least weekly at O'Hare to write for the Voice as well. Peter is a good man. Stubborn at times, but a good man no less.

Nathan is a good egg that is trying to give back to the community. He put himself through school driving a cab. He is the only one that I know of that remembers his "roots" and actually gives us something we can use. Perhaps the same could be said for the late Harold Washington. While I don't think he was a cabbie, it was under his watch that guys like me got our medallions. The only real explanation I can give for Nathans involvement is that he must want to go to heaven. He is a believer.

why utcc use chicago dispatch site for their propaganda? they are so negative we dont need that. why chicago dispatch allow this?

Re: Re: george's meeting of leaders

They(UTCC) aren't really negative. Enger just comes off this way. He's a good worker and I'm glad that he has enough sense to realize that Mr. Fayaz is the better leader for the UTCC.

George L. is a great advertising man. He also looks the part. It's when I heard his mouth open that I formed the opinion that he doesn't know all of the issues we're facing and what this business is really like for us. Remember, he just moonlights as a cabbie. He real mission and business is selling the ads in his newspaper. CAN WE BLAME HIM? NO! We haven't given him one red cent! He would have to close without his ad money. Newspapers don't quite grow on trees.

Where Peter sometimes comes off as cold, George comes off as stubborn. We need a diplomat to lead the cause. My money is with Mr. Fayaz until I see someone better.

Youn write your way, George will write his way. If you don't like it, too **** bad!

Re: Re: george's meeting of leaders

Wow. I say a guy is stubborn at times and you go off. You're just dragging down those you say you support by being this way. There is another saying: with friends like you, who needs enemies. At least you didn't put an ing on the end of it.