General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The truth about my wrongful conviction and how it affects my chauffeur's license.

The truth about my wrongful conviction and how it affects my chauffeur's license:

There is absolutely nothing about my wrongful conviction which would affect my chauffeur's license.

I invite anyone who believes otherwise to respond.

I ask that you use your real name so that you will be held accountable for your foolishness or lies.

I ask Mr. George Lutfallah to delete any and all further posts which claim or suggest that my wrongful conviction affects my chauffeur's license which are POSTED ANONYMOUSLY (or using an obvious pseudonym such as "Big Fat Mouth"), as such posts unfairly defame me.

I ask Mr. George Lutfallah to ban messages from the IP addresses of those who persist in defaming me anonymously or otherwise.

-Mike Foulks

Re: The truth about my wrongful conviction and how it affects my chauffeur's license.

Mike,

Please send me an email referencing the messages so I can look at them and take appropriate action.

George

Felony Convictions/ Our reputation as trusted public servants/ Right to vote

The appropriate action for those seeking affiliation with a drivers group would be to make sure the "leader" has a nice clean background/reputation. I can imagine the medias response about felons driving taxis.

Instead of a raise we will end up getting more stringent rules yet. How would all of you old timers like to be printed/drug test once a year? Felony criminal records aren't looked upon too highly in any line of work.

Our work involves dealing hand in hand with the general public. Most of the people that flag us have a sense of security when they enter our taxis. If the word got out that cab drivers are felons and it's OK with the companies/city this trust would come to an end.

I once recommended George start a group due to the fact he has a good presentable image. I didn't know of his recent arrest then, but I do not see a conviction on the record. A wrongful arrest can happen. This must have been the case with George.

However, when a crime is commited and then a misdemeanor conviction is entered on the record the person arrested is put on notice. He is supposed to realize this is a crime and our society does not tolerate this behavior. When the crime is repeated, felony charges are issued, and a conviction follows with jail time we are dealing with a person that is a criminal. In this case a felon.

Now for a question that might not belong on the forum, but I'm curious. Does a felony conviction end ones right to vote?

Should Felons Vote?

Should Felons Vote?
Edward Feser

Forty-eight states currently restrict the right of felons to vote. Most states forbid current inmates to vote, others extend such bans to parolees, and still others disenfranchise felons for life. A movement to overturn these restrictions gained swift momentum during the 2004 presidential campaign, and pending legal and legislative measures promise to keep the issue in the headlines in the months to come. It hasn’t escaped notice that the felon vote would prove a windfall for the Democrats; when they do get to vote, convicts and ex-cons tend to pull the lever for the Left. Had ex-felons been able to vote in Florida in 2000—the state permanently strips all felons of voting rights—Al Gore almost certainly would have won the presidential election.

Murderers, rapists, and thieves might seem to be an odd constituency for a party that prides itself on its touchy-feely concern for women and victims. But desperate times call for desperate measures. After three national electoral defeats in a row, the Democrats need to enlarge their base. If that means reaching out to lock in the pedophile and home-invader vote, so be it. Even newly moderate Democrat Hillary Clinton has recently endorsed voting rights for ex-cons. This is inclusiveness with a vengeance.

The liberal advocates and Democratic politicians seeking the enfranchisement of felons deny any narrow political motivation, of course. Their interest is moral, they claim: it is just wrong to deny felons the vote. Their various arguments in support of this conclusion, though, fail to persuade.

The most frequently heard charge is that disenfranchising felons is racist because the felon population is disproportionately black. But the mere fact that blacks make up a lopsided percentage of the nation’s prison population doesn’t prove that racism is to blame. Is the mostly male population of the prisons evidence of reverse sexism? Of course not: men commit the vast majority of serious crimes—a fact no one would dispute—and that’s why there are lots more of them than women behind bars. Regrettably, blacks also commit a disproportionate number of felonies, as victim surveys show. In any case, a felon either deserves his punishment or not, whatever his race. If he does, it may also be that he deserves disenfranchisement. His race, in both cases, is irrelevant.

But look where the laws preventing felons from voting arose, the advocates say: in bigoted post–Civil War legislatures, keen to keep newly emancipated blacks away from the ballot box. These laws are utterly racist in origin, like poll taxes and literacy tests. But this argument fails on two counts. First, as legal writer Roger Clegg notes, many of the same studies appealed to by felon advocates show that the policy of disenfranchising felons is as old as ancient Greece and Rome; it made its way to these shores not long after the American Revolution. By the time of the Civil War, 70 percent of the states already had such laws.

Second, even if felon disenfranchisement did have a disreputable origin, it wouldn’t follow that the policy is bad. To think otherwise would be to commit what logicians call the genetic fallacy. Say Abraham Lincoln drafted the Emancipation Proclamation purely for cynical political reasons, or to exact vengeance on rebellious Southern plantation owners, or just to get rid of some unneeded scratch paper. It would be silly to suggest that therefore freeing the slaves wasn’t a good thing.

Felon advocates also argue that to prevent felons from voting, especially after their release from prison, unfairly punishes them twice for the same crime. On this view, the ex-con pays his debt to society by doing time and should suffer no further punishment. But this begs the question at issue: should a felon lose his vote as well as spend time behind bars? Few people would say that the drunk driver sentenced by a judge to lose his driver’s license and to pay a hefty fine is punished twice. Most would agree that, given the crime, this one punishment with two components is perfectly apt. Similarly, those who support disenfranchising felons do not believe in punishing criminals twice for the same misdeed; they believe in punishing them once, with the penalty including both jail time and the loss of the vote. A punishment of incarceration without disenfranchisement, they plausibly maintain, would be too lenient.

The claim that disenfranchising felons is wrong because the right to vote is basic and inalienable—another common argument of the advocates—is no more convincing. Obviously, the right is not basic and inalienable in any legal sense, since the laws banning murderers, thieves, and other wrongdoers from voting have stood for a long time. Nor is the right basic and inalienable in a moral sense. Even John Locke, the English philosopher generally regarded as having the greatest influence on the American founding, didn’t view the franchise in that light. True, Locke believed that all human beings had certain rights by nature (such as rights to life, liberty, and property), that government existed to protect those rights, and that any legitimate government had to rest on the tacit consent of the people. But the government that the people consented to did not need to be democratic, in Locke’s view—it might even be monarchical.

As long as it protected the basic rights of citizens and retained their loyalty, it remained legitimate, whether or not it allowed its citizens to vote.

Further, Locke added, under certain circumstances we can lose even the rights we do have by nature. Someone who violates another’s rights to life, liberty, and property forfeits his own rights to these things; society can legitimately punish him by removing these rights. The criminal has broken the social compact and violated the trust of his fellow citizens. He cannot reasonably complain if they mete out to him a measure of the very harm that he has inflicted on them. Their doing so is a means of dissuading others from breaking the social contract.

Seen in this light, disenfranchisement seems a particularly appropriate punishment for felons. The murderer, rapist, or thief has expressed contempt for his fellow citizens and broken the rules of society in the most unmistakable way. It’s fitting that society should deprive him of his role in determining the content of those rules or electing the magistrate who enforces them.

A New York Times editorial this past February favored felon voting—no surprise there—but put forward a different rationale. The disenfranchisement of felons, the paper held, “may actually contribute to recidivism by keeping ex-offenders and their families disengaged from the civic mainstream”—a notion “clearly supported by data showing that former offenders who vote are less likely to return to jail.”

The Times’s argument is at least more serious than those considered so far. Still, it doesn’t fly. Recidivism doubtless is also less common among ex-cons who return their videos on time. That doesn’t mean they should be rewarded with free rental privileges at Blockbuster. More to the point, it doesn’t seem to have occurred to the Times that it might be misinterpreting the (alleged) causal connection between voting and keeping out of trouble. Surely it’s at least plausible—in fact, quite plausible—that it is precisely the sort of person disposed to learn from his mistakes and become more conscientious who is likely to vote in the first place. That is, it isn’t that voting makes someone responsible but that the responsible person will be likelier to vote.

If that’s true, then a former inmate who already has what it takes to clean up his act isn’t likely to relapse into a life of crime just because he can’t cast a ballot. By the same logic, an ex-con hell-bent on new rapes and muggings isn’t going to turn over a new leaf just because he gets to vote—even if it’s to vote for a Democrat. The notion that he might is pure sentimentality. It assumes that deep inside the typical burglar or car jacker lurks a Morgan Freeman–type character, full of world-weary wisdom and latent civic virtue. A neoconservative, some say, is a liberal mugged by reality. A felon-vote advocate seems to be a liberal who has seen The Shawshank Redemption one too many times.

It would be a tall order for any moral or political theory, let alone the Lockean one central to the American tradition, to make a convincing case that the disenfranchisement of felons is particularly unjust. How is depriving felons of the vote worse than stripping them of their freedom by incarcerating them? Surely the right to liberty is far more basic and fundamental than the franchise. Yet few would deny that it’s legitimate to deprive serious criminals of their liberty. To do so, after all, would be to deny the possibility of criminal justice.

Perhaps, though, some advocates of felon voting have trouble with the basic concept of criminal justice. Traditional notions of desert, punishment, and retribution aren’t in fashion among those whose hearts bleed more for perpetrators than for victims. The movement to give felons the vote may be a sign that the tough-on-crime New Democrat is as passé as the Kerry campaign: for a whiff of the criminal-as-victim mind-set seems to surround the whole enterprise. The Times editorial coos over unnamed “democracies abroad” that “valu the franchise so much that they take ballot boxes right to the prisons.” It would have been more accurate to say that they “value the idea of individual responsibility so little that they take ballot boxes right to the prisons.”

Such countries devalue the franchise by throwing it away on murderers and other criminals, whose fellow citizens’ blood is still fresh on their hands. Such hands can only defile a ballot. If the right to vote is as precious as felon advocates claim to believe it is, we should expect people to uphold at least some minimum moral standards in order to keep it—such as refraining from violating their fellow voters’ own inalienable rights.

Those pushing for felon voting will thus need to come up with much better arguments before they can hope to convince their fellow citizens. They ought at least to try. People might otherwise begin to suspect that the hope of gaining political advantage is the only reason they advocate reform.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The appropriate action for those seeking affiliation with a drivers group would be to make sure the "leader" has a nice clean background/reputation. I can imagine the medias response about felons driving taxis.

Instead of a raise we will end up getting more stringent rules yet. How would all of you old timers like to be printed/drug test once a year? Felony criminal records aren't looked upon too highly in any line of work.

Our work involves dealing hand in hand with the general public. Most of the people that flag us have a sense of security when they enter our taxis. If the word got out that cab drivers are felons and it's OK with the companies/city this trust would come to an end.

I once recommended George start a group due to the fact he has a good presentable image. I didn't know of his recent arrest then, but I do not see a conviction on the record. A wrongful arrest can happen. This must have been the case with George.

However, when a crime is commited and then a misdemeanor conviction is entered on the record the person arrested is put on notice. He is supposed to realize this is a crime and our society does not tolerate this behavior. When the crime is repeated, felony charges are issued, and a conviction follows with jail time we are dealing with a person that is a criminal. In this case a felon.

Now for a question that might not belong on the forum, but I'm curious. Does a felony conviction end ones right to vote?

Great article, Clueless, but tthere are more important matters to consider

Most cabdrivers who suck sheep dip out in Wyoming licking the boots of Gerry Spence and kissing Dick Cheney's **** would vote straight Republican given the right to vote were they not to have that right stripped after a felony conviction. This would likely even be the case if the sheep dip sucker were claiming the felony conviction was a wrongful one.

Of course, the same sucker could still vote for President --- of the CCO.

I wonder if Clueless could find an article about that? Maybe he could do so on the Foulks website. I'd love to see a cut and paste on the subject.

Donald Nathan

PS - In all seriousness, who the devil cares if the guy votes? What earthly difference does it make? Let's just stick to the issues. Peter Enger raised a bunch of them in asking George Lutfallah questions, none of which have been answered - all of which have gone ignored. These seem more interesting to me. I doubt an article in the Dispatcher is going to serve to answer the follow up questions that only the Forum is designed to deal with.

Re: Great article, Clueless, but tthere are more important matters to consider

We will see what George make an answer in his next news.

Re: Should Felons Vote?

Excellent response. What's the law here in our state? D. Foulks says he has the right to vote here. Is he wrong? It would seem that in Florida or Wyoming he would be locked out from the polls. The way people are treated in Texas I would bet the same.

Anyway glad to see you're on board. Keep up the good work.

Re: Felony Convictions/ Our reputation as trusted public servants/ Right to vote

Wow. Glad to see that I made a few think about this "leader." While I did say the question was off topic, I am still glad to see we have a small group here that is interested in making things better for us. This so called leader can and already has fooled the general public into thinking he represents us. Prrof of this is the letter he was able to get published in the Tribune. This is my motivation for getting him out of "office." This kind can only make things worse for us.

We need a good clean person to lead the way. Naturally others direct the charge from the rear by pushing the front in the right direction. This is why I have backed the leader of the UTCC Mr. Fayaz. I believe he has the ability to listen to us and work with us for us.

While I have been critical of George in the past, I understand his actions better as I get to know him. My hope is that someday he realizes who the real leaders and groups are here. His backing of the 2 man CCO and its president are disturbing. I do not believe George is a criminal or is really like Prez Foulks. However he did make some sort of connection with the CCO president due to similar background and age. George needs to think this over with a clear head and perhaps he might see it in other light. My opinion only George. No allegation.

I also hope that George can work with the UTCC for our betterment. The more divided we are, the harder we will fall. Lets mend the fences. Communication will help. Please answer Engers questions. Enger sometimes comes off the wrong way. Once you get to know him I think you might decide you will be able to work with him.

No mas - Throw the bum out

What's this garbage about wrongful conviction? Felon Foulks entered a voluntary guilty plea. It would have been much worse if he had gone to trial. Judge Tobin would have roasted his cookies. A Jury would have done worse. Let's call it as it is.

I don't hide behind a pseudonym.

Donald Nathan, Esquire

Re: No mas - Throw the bum out/clean record party/Cameras as safety devices.

When the "bad guy" in my opinion is a 6'5 guy that has a felony conviction background for death threats I do hide behind pseudonym. Judge Tobin put this man on a 24 month mental health probation/parole after the jail sentence for a reason. I don't want to be pushing up daisy's yet.

This leads me back to the camera as a safety device arguement. A $1500.00 camera can record someone killing me. The police might be able to find the guy from the photos. Then he can get put in the hospital as a mentally ill person. I suffered and was executed. This wouldn't have happened if I had a $250.00 shield. Wait, then no one profits off of the camera money making scheme.

Do bank robberies stop because of cameras? How about holdups at local businesses? No. The people that do these kind of things are desperate and do not care. What are the stats of deaths occuring at businesses with lexan partitions vs. open areas with cameras. All with common sense know the numbers must be 1 death or less with lexan to 100 per open areas. The city of Baltimore started using partitions earlier in this decade. Someone posted the results. Does anyone remember what they were? Wolf Weiss?

I agree with No mas for the current president of the CCO. Who wants the nomination of the clean record party?

Re: The truth about my wrongful conviction and how it affects my chauffeur's license.

Roberto Duran said "no mas" between rounds when he had his rear kicked. He had more class in my opinion.

You still follow your own form here just like you did after your felony conviction. "There was a mistake here. I am wrongfully convicted. The judge was in error."

I'm not the judge, just someone that thinks you're a poor example of a leader and that you're going to make a bad name for us if you're allowed to continue.

Your responses asking the referee to take down my postings are the example of one on the stool between the 11th and 12th rounds that can't stand on his two feet any longer. You're trying to say you should win due to the fact I'm breaking some sort of unknown and unwritten rules. Just like you said the judge did when you were convicted.

Similar to when you were sentenced to jail, you have lost your arguements here. A felon shouldn't be a leader. And also not a president. I think the 99%+ of the drivers without felony convictions will side with me. When's the next cco election?

foulks starts from the presumption that his conviction based on his guilty plea was wrongful

To follow any of foulks' tripe, you have to assume his conviction was wrongful. You have to buy into his assertion that Judge Tobin did him wrong in taking a voluntary plea. This is only what foulks the felon who entered a voluntary plea claims now before the Appellate Court.

DON'T PRESUME FOULKS ENTERED A VOLUNTARY PLEA WRONGFULLY. The odds are overwhelming Judge Tobin followed the requirements of Illinois Supreme Court Rule 402 to the letter. Very few of the appeals claiming a voluntary guilty plea lead to reversals. They do happen, but RARELY.

Reading the public record that is available, this man only threatened violence over the phone. He did not commit an act of violence. He only threatened to kill family members or extended family members if they didn't give him well into six-figures.

The judge sentenced him to 24 months of felony probation with the first 30 days to be spent in the House of Corrections along with a "BCX"; that is, a psychiatric evaluation. The shrink concluded that the guy was suffering from no psychiatric malady, although one might wonder about the sanity of that shrink given the conclusion.

Because the conviction does not involve an act of violence, just the threat of violence, I do believe his chauffeur's license is not subject to being pulled. I believe he can say things like "Don't go down dark alleys" without his chauffeur's license being pulled as well. He can suggest he wants to beat my ass too - as long as he doesn't actually do it. Sticks and stones and all that stuff will lead to having a C/L yanked, but words won't, even if the words lead to a felony conviction.

Of course, if he lays a finger on me, he is going to be indicted because of the law that protects the elderly. He knows I am over 60, and he towers over me. He is 25 years my junior. It's another section of the same aggravated battery law that protects cabdrivers who are assaulted on the job.

There are no lies here. It's all public record. There is no defamation of any sort. And truth is a complete defense to any claim of that sort anyway.

My real name follows.

Donald Nathan, Esquire
Former C/L # 11473

Loose cannon

This guy is going to follow through one of these days. The fact it was a family member is very disturbing to me. That a guy with multiple personalities was able to stay in one to fool a shrink over the course of a few meetings is no surprise to me.

Loose cannon is the right term to describe. One of these days the fuse won't go out until the gun is actually fired. I already feel sorry for his victim.

The above are the opinions of Big Fat Mouth, a Chicago Taxi Driver without a felony record.

Re: Loose cannon

Maybe not. I've been using words as weapons for the benefit of cabdrivers for the past 33 years. Maybe foulks the felon can harness his anger to good use. I'd rather hope so. But the likelihood is that he's not going to be a benefit to the industry until he learns to work with those who have positive programs: Khozindar, Kim, Enger, Sampat, Weiss, Tang - all of these fine men come to mind right away.

No one can work alone, and foulks' CCO is an organization of one. It has nominal backing of George Lutfallah - I can't fathom why because Lutfallah is really a bright young man who I would hardly expect would want to associate with a criminal element. This mystifies me.

The bottom line is to do our best to stay out of foulks' way and to remind those in the industry of what he is over and over when he assaults decent people with his vicious pen.

I'll use my name to do that EVERY TIME. You can stay anonymous if you like. I'm afraid of nothing and no one, especially so a slime and a crud out of a dark alley.

Donald Nathan