General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there anything we can learn from others' problems?

Is there anything we can learn from others' problems?
-----------------------------------------------------

Arthur Weiss: Help Ourselves to Better Ourselves
There are many forces at work to harm our industry and if we are to overcome them we must be prepared to fight back for our survival. Many groups that have nothing to loose and some publicity for their cause to gain are using us as victims.

The sky is falling
If you chose to do nothing or run around like a chicken without a head, shame on you. In my state of New Jersey, we have been busy this month with attacks of gender-based pricing. As in other states, a not so well known Assemblywoman has tried making this cause into a public media circus. Hopefully, it will not get far, but it has gotten her on television, radio and in the newspaper by taking on a quiet opponent. These Pearl Harbor-like attacks have to be challenged by us.

There is also a bill in the Assembly regarding an environmental clean-up fund and machinery upgrading.

We know this is inevitable, but have made the Assemblyman who has taken this cause to heart aware that we are willing to work with him.

Instead of an atmosphere of cooperation, he chose to let the bill sit idle for about one year after we offered some public challenge to his misinformation. Now he has quietly reintroduced his bill with more restrictions and information he has gained from us. We were neither informed by his office of his intentions, nor given credit for the research the cleaners and Neighborhood Cleaners Association International provided to him.

Perhaps he will be surprised to find that we have developed a network to keep us advised, and will appear at public hearings to defend or challenge him as necessary.

We have options open. We are a strong, vital industry if we work together. I must credit the Korean cleaners of my state for being dedicated, hard-working and very active. They have stayed abreast of the political happenings. Although we do not always agree, I would like to see more people taking the initiative to organize and help as they have.

I have seen the enemy and it is us

Most of us have heard of or seen the attacks against our industry on television including sitcoms like The Cosby Show, documentaries like PrimeTime Live, and in the news in New York and other cities.

If there is an opening for us to be publicly flailed there must be something wrong with what we are doing. (Did you know The Better Business Bureau lists drycleaners as number three for customer complaints nationally?) The cure to this problem requires a serious self analysis of our industry.

We need to prepare a counter attack to defend ourselves. Many of us are not prepared with the funds and staff required to do the job, but our associations can help. But associations can not be everything, everywhere, we must work with them. They have the expertise available, but not the manpower. Becoming active with them will give you the ammunition you need to help yourself.

This means partly educational by investing the time to attend meetings and learn what is necessary to improve your technical and public relations skills and those of your workforce. We can get our message across if we work at it. The world is not out to get the drycleaners, but some self-serving special interest groups are and they can be very damaging.

I believe their effect can be dampened if we put some effort into it. I think our customers respect and depend on us and want us to continue offering the vital service we provide to them. But they have other more important priorities in there lives than to worry about our welfare and their opinions can be manipulated. Therefore if we want to survive and prosper it is up to us to limit the effects outside forces have on us

If you want to keep getting what you are getting keep doing what you are doing

I propose a multi faceted approach to the following issues:

Improve public perception of our industry.
Increase demand for our services.
Improve profitability.
Improve employee perception of working in a drycleaner.
Limit the severity of hard line legislation.
We must take a more objective look at ourselves. Like every industry, we have downfalls. Our industry has the appearance of being both a needed service and an uncaring entity. Our efforts must take the lead in giving superior customer service through better training of our front-end line of first defense, our customer service people. We must give them the best training available and advise them on policies to communicate to the public. This involves not only fabric care, but also environmental awareness and gender-free pricing.

The gender price issue is a real sore area to cleaners, but from what I have seen it does not take away from us the right to price according to work performed. The problem is how we communicate with our customers. We must take men's and ladies' out of our vocabulary when it comes to pricing. This must change to fabric, labor involved and terms like regular or hand finishing.

I was involved in a discussion on why we are the brunt of jokes and criticism by the public.

A very astute cleaner summed it up this way;

"Customers have a resentment for personal services they feel obligated to use and often do not get the good feeling they are hoping for. This is not limited to drycleaners, people have a resentment for mechanics, doctors, lawyers, etc. What group is more maligned than lawyers with all of the jokes we hear, but when you have a problem who do you run to? A lawyer, looking for defense."

Another instance of this was related to me by a drycleaning industry veteran who said the following:

"I drive a $60,000 car that I love, but resent every time I go to the gas station and have to pay $20 to put gas in it. That part is just not fun." Sound parallel to buying a beautiful new suit or dress for $50, $100 or more then resenting paying the cleaner $5 or $10 to clean it?

Our response must not be one of being defensive once harm is done, but being in the forefront of improving our public perception. Be proactive in bettering our cause rather than always fighting off attacks.

Your time can be much better served touting the benefits we offer than waiting to be attacked and fighting off enemies. It is far better to educate customers of the time, effort and money we save them. Highlight how we prolong the life of their valuable garments and are always there to provide them an important service. Always be aware that it is fun buying a new outfit but what a chore it is going to the cleaner. But what fun would it be if we were not there for them?

Get positive publicity
This is possible through positive publicity in the media. Most cleaners think it is impossible to get a positive story about us, but it happens all the time. It may take some work on your part, talk to your local association, the NCAI or IFI. They have materials available for your use.

Next develop a media list. All this involves is getting the names of the editors in your newspapers who handle community and business news. When there is something important in our industry, or with your business, send them a press release.

If you do not have the writing skills, ask your association, a free-lance writer or hire someone like myself or other writers in our industry for a nominal fee (I can provide you with other names if you would like). I know that NCAI has a public relations firm on staff that can get the job done.

You must also allow time occasionally to attend association seminars or meetings. When a subject is affecting our industry in the government you must be available to go to a town, city or state legislators office. It is possible to get their attention, but the burden is on you. A letter mailed or faxed and a short meeting will let them know that you have a stand on an issue.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself

I know most of you have never done this but neither did I until recently. I am here to tell you that it can and must be done. If we remain afraid of things we have never done, someone else will do it for us.

Unfortunately, it is usually our adversary who has nothing to loose by our apathy and everything to gain. You have a vested interest in your success and must take action.

Do not let lack of time become an excuse. I put in 80 hours this week and had to write for a deadline. If lack of time is an issue think of the free time we will have on our hands if our adversaries ruined our businesses.

Another area where we suffer is problem garments. Many cleaners are reluctant to contact a clothing retailer or manufacturer themselves when there is a problem with a garment.

I for one am tired of hearing from a clothing store that they never had a problem with a garment that we know is faulty.

How would they answer if all of the cleaners in town, or at least as many as you can organize, contacted them. Better still, why not develop a relationship with the reputable stores in your area and tell them that you will be happy to refer your customers to them if they work with you.

Imagine the benefit of having your customer buy from a store that you know can be worked with if a problem occurs.

As for profitability, I have talked much about this in the past. In the context of this discussion, if we do all of the other things right, profits will take care of themselves.

Arthur Weiss owns Betty Brite Cleaners and loves to get mail from readers at 334 Route 33, Mercerville, NJ 08619. He can be reached by phone at (609) 890-8787 or through his e-mail address: awclean@aol.com

Re: Is there anything we can learn from YOU?

What will make us believe that there is any on going "criminal investigation involving several members of my extended family and officers of the court"? What will make us believe that these "investigators" can be trusted? Is there a classified case number from FBI, CIA, DHS, or any trusted law enforcement agency?

As far as we can see that part your criminal record were stolen by unknown, not expunged or removed by any court orders.

The case was closed!

"Clueless" refuses to accept the facts.

"Clueless", most likely Yi Tang of the CPTDA,

Nothing will make you believe that there is an ongoing criminal investigation involving several members of my extanded family and officers of the court.

You have too much personally invested in your belief that I was properly convicted.

You tell me what will allow you to "trust" the investigators.

There is a federal file related to this case that isn't a matter of public record, at least, not at this time.

None of my "criminal record" was "stolen" by "unknown", whatever that means.

My case isn't "closed", either.

This entire situation is far more complicated than you can imagine.

Anyways, what does any of this have to do with what I posted?

It seems you just want to sabotage discussion of a topic I've posted by re-hashing the same old irrelevancies and inaccuracies about my criminal record.

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What will make us believe that there is any on going "criminal investigation involving several members of my extended family and officers of the court"? What will make us believe that these "investigators" can be trusted? Is there a classified case number from FBI, CIA, DHS, or any trusted law enforcement agency?

As far as we can see that part your criminal record were stolen by unknown, not expunged or removed by any court orders.

The case was closed!

Re: "Foulks" refuses to accept the facts.

No matter how you can imagine, you can leave Yi Tang of the CPTDA out of your "clueless". Is there indeed an ongoing investigation needed?

Any one of your extended family and officers of the court is in custody or indicted yet? Are you sure all of the suspects have been named and investigated properly?

Just give us a number if there is a federal file pending. Evan a person at Guantánamo Bay has a number. Which trusted federal agency may it be?

There is no reason to believe the deputy of the court clerk lie. Many pages of your criminal record were stolen by a thief, and you know what I mean.

As far as we know, your case is closed. There is no more number to go on in the hand of any justice of the supreme court.

Was it you in the story of the "An Epidemic of Violence"? "For almost eight years, John Doe has driven a cab in Chicago without incident. Then, one Sunday morning in July, his luck ran out."

I'm sure that the investigation is also classified.

"Clueless" has no clue of what he claims.

"Clueless" you have no clue of what you claim.

If you aren't Yi Tang, then I suggest you identify yourself, or, I suggest that Yi Tang goes on record here to claim that he isn't "Clueless".

It is notable that neither of these natural reactions have ever occurred despite my frequent assertions that "Clueless" and Yi Tang are, with little doubt, one and the same.

I have members of my extended family who are currently in custody for bank robbery and other crimes. There are members of my extended family who have committed even more heinous crimes who have yet to be taken into custody or indicted.

I am absolutely positive that the relevant officers of the court are being investigated by the proper authorities. Here a clue, "Clueless": it ain't the ARDC.

You want a number "if there is a federal file pending"? I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "pending", but here you go:

Take your pick: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

The deputies of the court clerk haven't even made an official statement, so I don't know why you are asserting that they haven't "lied". What are you referring to?

Many pages of my criminal record are "missing". What evidence do you have that they were "stolen by a thief"? No, "Clueless", I don't know what you mean.

My case isn't "closed". How and why do you think that it is "closed"? You have the numbers relevant to case. So does any justice of any court.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between judiciary records and those of the executive branches of government.

Moving on, I am not the subject of the story "An Epidemic of Violence". I know who the subject is. There's no classified investigation of that incident to my knowledge.

The victim's physical and financial conditions have improved from what they were immediately after the crime.

He doesn't want to be identified publicly. With the way you "investigate" and treat the "facts" and victims of "crime", "Clueless" (and "Fatlu Hall", Wolf Weiss, Peter Enger, etc.)...I don't blame him for choosing to remain anonymous.

I respect his privacy. You question his sincerity for that?

You're a hysterical HYPOCRITE, "Clueless".

What's YOUR EXCUSE for not coming forward with your real name?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

No matter how you can imagine, you can leave Yi Tang of the CPTDA out of your "clueless". Is there indeed an ongoing investigation needed?

Any one of your extended family and officers of the court is in custody or indicted yet? Are you sure all of the suspects have been named and investigated properly?

Just give us a number if there is a federal file pending. Evan a person at Guantánamo Bay has a number. Which trusted federal agency may it be?

There is no reason to believe the deputy of the court clerk lie. Many pages of your criminal record were stolen by a thief, and you know what I mean.

As far as we know, your case is closed. There is no more number to go on in the hand of any justice of the supreme court.

Was it you in the story of the "An Epidemic of Violence"? "For almost eight years, John Doe has driven a cab in Chicago without incident. Then, one Sunday morning in July, his luck ran out."

I'm sure that the investigation is also classified.

Re: "Clueless" has no clue of what he claims?

When did you discover that you are a victim of a "dysfunctional" family?

Can you take your pick: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9?

"I have members of my extended family who are currently in custody for bank robbery and other crimes." Don't you remember their names? Are they named under "Foulks" or else?

Maybe you don't understand the difference between judiciary records and those of a decent family.

Your own word "I am not the subject of the story "An Epidemic of Violence". I know who the subject is. There's no classified investigation of that incident to my knowledge."

What was the date and time for this incident? Can remember the date in June or in July? What is the police report number then? Don't you want to solve the case?

You respects his privacy, so do I. What was wrong to ask you for a police report number and the name of the detective who investigates the crime? Did I ask you for his identity or his physical and financial conditions? I don't really care if he is Ola.

I doubt that you have any decency to respect anyone's privacy.

What's YOUR EXCUSE for not coming forward with real names of criminals and their numbers?

More honest answers to "Clueless'" more irrelevant comments and "questions"...

More honest answers to "Clueless'" more irrelevant comments and "questions"...

...I was aware that I was a victim of a dysfunctional family at a very young age. So were the courts and other authorities. Why do you ask?

I know the names of the criminals in my family who are currently in prison. They aren't named "Foulks". Only a few people related to me are named "Foulks", and vice versa.

It's clear you don't understand the difference between acknowledging the fact that members of your extended family who are related to you by marriage are imprisoned for serious crimes as opposed to being responsible for the shame your own flesh and blood brings to your family name when they are left or led astray.

I believe that the "An Epidemic of Violence" incident occured in early June or late May. Maybe it was late April. All I know for sure is that it was shortly before it was publicized in the Chicago Dispatcher. The Dispatcher made an error, stating that the crime was committed in July, which was an impossibility, I think. Am I mistaken?

I don't have a police report, nor would I give you any more information which would allow you to cast aspersions towards the victim of this crime in the manner you and others have done towards Ola Shalom.

Not every cabdriver who gets beaten up and robbed wants to be like your "friend", Stanley Shen.

I would like to see the criminals apprehended. I don't think I am personally responsible for "solving the case". That's the work of professional detectives and police officers.

No, Mr. Tang, you didn't ask me about the condition of the cabdriver who was brutally victimized. It's nice to see your true colors shine.

I respect peoples' privacy. Obviously, you don't. You want to know all the personal details of things which really aren't any of your business.

I won't answer you last "question": "What's YOUR EXCUSE for not coming forward with real names of criminals and their numbers?"

This is because this "question" of your needs no "answer".

It can stand alone as a perfect example of how utterly useless you are to anybody who wants to have a serious discussion here on Cabmarket.com.

When you want recognition for your "work", you use your real name, "Yi Tang". When you want to sabotage the discussions of those you don't like, you use your fake name, "Clueless".

We don't need a "clue" as to why...it's obvious to anyone who matters or cares...you are as despicable as Wolf Weiss.

No wonder you, him, and Donald Nathan get along so well. No wonder the three of you make up 50% of the "CPTDA".

Diane Santucci and Raja Khan obviously like each other enough to get and stay married.

What's your excuse?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

When did you discover that you are a victim of a "dysfunctional" family?

Can you take your pick: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9?

"I have members of my extended family who are currently in custody for bank robbery and other crimes." Don't you remember their names? Are they named under "Foulks" or else?

Maybe you don't understand the difference between judiciary records and those of a decent family.

Your own word "I am not the subject of the story "An Epidemic of Violence". I know who the subject is. There's no classified investigation of that incident to my knowledge."

What was the date and time for this incident? Can remember the date in June or in July? What is the police report number then? Don't you want to solve the case?

You respects his privacy, so do I. What was wrong to ask you for a police report number and the name of the detective who investigates the crime? Did I ask you for his identity or his physical and financial conditions? I don't really care if he is Ola.

I doubt that you have any decency to respect anyone's privacy.

What's YOUR EXCUSE for not coming forward with real names of criminals and their numbers?

Re: More honest answers to "Foulks", et al.

...I was aware that I was a victim of a dysfunctional family at a very young age. So were the courts and other authorities. Why do you ask?

HOW YOUNG WERE YOU? CAN YOU TELL RIGHT OR WRONG NOW, AND HOW DID YOU LEARN TO DO SO? WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF AN UNFORTUNATE DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY ANYWAY? I ASK IT SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS AN IMPORTANT SOCIAL ISSUE. DON'T YOU AGREE?

I know the names of the criminals in my family who are currently in prison. They aren't named "Foulks". Only a few people related to me are named "Foulks", and vice versa.

GIVE US THE NAMES OF KNOWN CRIMINALS, SO MANY WILL LEARN TO DEFEAT THE SAME. ARE THE ONES NAMED "FOULKS" ALL GOOD LIKE YOU?

It's clear you don't understand the difference between acknowledging the fact that members of your extended family who are related to you by marriage are imprisoned for serious crimes as opposed to being responsible for the shame your own flesh and blood brings to your family name when they are left or led astray.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND SO I ASK. DO YOU FEEL ANY SHAME, OR HAVE YOU MADE ANYONE SHAMEFUL YET?

I believe that the "An Epidemic of Violence" incident occured in early June or late May. Maybe it was late April. All I know for sure is that it was shortly before it was publicized in the Chicago Dispatcher. The Dispatcher made an error, stating that the crime was committed in July, which was an impossibility, I think. Am I mistaken?

HOW SO? IF THE DISPATCHER MADE AN ERROR, IT WOULD BE CORRECTED BY GEORGE. DON'T YOU REALLY HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS INCIDENT?

I don't have a police report, nor would I give you any more information which would allow you to cast aspersions towards the victim of this crime in the manner you and others have done towards Ola Shalom.

STICK WITH OLA SHALOM, MY ADVICE.

Not every cabdriver who gets beaten up and robbed wants to be like your "friend", Stanley Shen.

NOT EVERYONE LIKE YOU TO POST HIS PICTURE FOR A "MARCH" WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION. HAVE YOU DONE ANYTHING GOOD FOR ANYONE?

I would like to see the criminals apprehended. I don't think I am personally responsible for "solving the case". That's the work of professional detectives and police officers.

YOU CANNOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTION.

No, Mr. Tang, you didn't ask me about the condition of the cabdriver who was brutally victimized. It's nice to see your true colors shine.

LEAVE MR. TANG OUT OUT OF THIS. WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU REALLY ARE.

I respect peoples' privacy. Obviously, you don't. You want to know all the personal details of things which really aren't any of your business.

I DO WANT TO KNOW THE DETAILS OF ALL CRIMINALS. YOU HAVE MET MANY, DON'T YOU? CRIMINALS NEED TO BE PUBLICIZED, SO WE CAN ALL BE BETTER EDUCATED.

I won't answer you last "question": "What's YOUR EXCUSE for not coming forward with real names of criminals and their numbers?"

YOU HAVE NO GOOD EXCUSE.

This is because this "question" of your needs no "answer".

THE TRUTH HURTS.

It can stand alone as a perfect example of how utterly useless you are to anybody who wants to have a serious discussion here on Cabmarket.com.

NO NEED TO WARRING OTHERS.

When you want recognition for your "work", you use your real name, "Yi Tang". When you want to sabotage the discussions of those you don't like, you use your fake name, "Clueless".

MY NAME IS CLUELESS. IS IT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

We don't need a "clue" as to why...it's obvious to anyone who matters or cares...you are as despicable as Wolf Weiss.

YOU NEED A FUNCTIONAL FAMILY, WHICH I CAN'T GIVE.

No wonder you, him, and Donald Nathan get along so well. No wonder the three of you make up 50% of the "CPTDA".

IT IS JUST NOT YOUR BISINESS.

Diane Santucci and Raja Khan obviously like each other enough to get and stay married.

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, AND YOU SHOULD LEAVE THEM ALONE!

What's your excuse?

NONE!

-Mike Foulks

Re: You ARE a victim of a dysfunctional family, Mike - it is us.

"I was aware that I was a victim of a dysfunctional family at a very young age. So were the courts and other authorities." -Mike Foulks

Apparently you still are a victim of a dysfunctional family. The courts and authorities should be aware of this if they are not?

When you violate these common-sense rules of your family, they will all of a sudden become dysfunctional (bad, abnormal, difficult) to you:

The following house rules apply to the Chicago Dispatcher Discussion forum for Chicago's taxi drivers in order to maintain order within an open forum:

1) No flaming, threats, personal insults, obscenity, libel, slander or remarks that damage anyone's character.

2) Do not post material that violates copyright, privacy, patent, trademark or other intellectual property.

3) Please keep topics limited to the taxi trade.

4) Private information about any person, place or activity or information that cannot be verified in publicly accessible information is not permitted.

5) No commercial postings.

6) Do not collect email addresses from the forum (where available) for the purpose of spamming, mass email or advertising.

7) Moderator may remove any posting that points out the moderator's mistakes, errors and misinformation whether deliberate or accidental, from the forum without notice or explanation. We will try to resolve conflicts but we are not obligated to do so, it is easier just delete or bury undesired facts and hope nobody will notice.

8) Forum contributors use this service at their own risk and are subject to prevailing local, state and federal law, to Bravenet Terms of Service and to abusive attacks, flaming, threats, personal insults, obscenity, libel, slander or remarks that damage one's character by the moderator's friends and assignees.

ALL CONTRIBUTORS ARE WARNED TO PRACTICE CAUTION WHEN USING THIS FORUM TO ENGAGE IN ANY INTELLECTUAL OR SOCIO-CULTURALLY MEANINGFUL TOPIC. (IT WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE!)

9) The taxi trade is a respectable profession. Do not insult cabdrivers or their profession on this forum. Complaints against cyberstalkers, cabdrivers or cab companies should be directed to the appropriate regulating or law enforcement agency.

10) This forum is provided as a free service of the Chicago Dispatcher and therefor it is subject to our terms of service, prevailing local, state and federal law, Bravenet Terms of Service and to abusive attacks, flaming, threats, personal insults, obscenity, libel, slander or remarks that damage one's character by the moderator's friends and assignees.

Re: Is there anything we can learn from others' problems?

Mike, what are you saying? What does this have to do with the Chicago taxicabs?

Re: Re: Is there anything we can learn from others' problems?

Mr. Budzynski,

I thought that there were interesting parallels of the situation that dry cleaners are facing and this man's opinions with the situation we face as cabdrivers.

The fact that he is also named "Weiss" is just a hilarious coincidence.

I suggest you re-read what this guy is advising his fellow dry cleaners about and consider how any of it might apply to us.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Mike, what are you saying? What does this have to do with the Chicago taxicabs?