General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Since you brought it up...

Since you brought it up...

I actually participated in a democratic process in Cook County Jail already. We won.

The prisoners on my deck in Division IX were debating and arguing about whether we should watch a sporting event or a sit-com.

As we caucussed (and cussed), it was becoming clear that there were two very large, vocal, and distinct camps on either side of this issue.

Off to the side was a young man talking on the phone who had received a very long sentence earlier that day. He didn't give a **** about what we wanted to watch and he was politely asking us to keep it down.

The noise and commotion was preventing him from having a serious conversation with his loved ones about his fate.

Finally, out of sheer frustration, the guy lets the phone drop, runs over to where the television is plugged in, leaps up and yanks the cord out of the outlet, thus re-damaging the frayed connection so much that it became useless.

Some shouted in protest; others were simply shocked. I had nothing but amazement, admiration, and respect for the guy doing what he had to do to get the personal peace he deserved.

Nonetheless, the rest of us were suddenly in the same boat. Foes were quickly forced to become friends if anybody was going to watch anything that night.

There was no point in arguing about what to watch if the electricity couldn't be restored to the TV.

I was one of the tallest and lightest guys there, but I couldn't reach the outlet without standing on the shoulders of another inmate, protected from a fall by several others who stood ready to catch me if I did.

After several trips up and down to repair the cord and plug, the television suddenly sprang back to life when, with guidance from the onlookers, the connection was finally made.

As the gratitude was expressed to me (and others) for making sure we weren't going to be playing Spades in silence that night, Mike Foulks the Fearless Leader, Mike Foulks the Politician, Mike Foulks who-makes-sure-that-what-needs-to-be-done-gets-done and says-what-needs-to-be-said-when-necessary, said:

"We ain't watching Desperate Housewives. The White Sox are gonna win the World Series. You can watch the Desperate Housewives next week."

There was no need for a roll-call vote. The consensus was clear. The respect was given to those who had done the real work, not to those who simply wanted to sit on the sidelines and complain.

I guess the moral of this story could be, "a ***** is just a ****** real men watch the White Sox".

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

For and on On behalf all WISE ASSES in the world,
and
To and for our fearless leader,

The LONG EARED FATHER OF FOOLS:

Cook County Department of Corrections / Cook County Jail

Physical Address:
2700 S. California Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60608

Re: Since you brought "it" up back to you...

Whereas, this is shall be heretofore and hereafter known, the official beginning of the THROW THE BUMS OUT CAMPAIGN OF INDEPENDENT CABDRIVERS (ttbocoic);

Whereas and therefore I do hereby nominate:

Mr. Wolfgang J. Weiss, President of the CPTDA

and

Mr. Steve Wiedersberg, former President of the currently disbanded CPTCDA;

for the right honorable positions of

Co-Presidents of the CCO (CPCCOs).

How Sayeth Ye and/or Yi, ladies and/or gentlemen,
as the case may be.

I second the nomination!

I second the nomination of Wolfgang and Steve Weidersberg. When Steve and I were in communication years back he didn't even use an answering machine and was hard to reach. Hope he's interested. These two would make a great team!