General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Shields vs. Cameras - sticking to the subject

You said, "I think of a shield like I do of a seatbelt. I hope more to come is in the form of a poll."

We actually did conduct a poll and published our findings in July, 2002.

Here's the excerpt that discusses our survey:

Ask The Drivers
Opinions regarding the safety shields are mixed in the industry. While some drivers believe the shields are highly valuable in terms of protection, others disagree. The Chicago Dispatcher conducted a survey to determine driver preferences and opinions about the safety shields.

55 percent of the drivers we surveyed indicated that they preferred driving taxicabs that had the safety shields while 37 percent said they did not. The remaining drivers were either indifferent or saw an equal weighting of positives and negatives.

However when asked whether shields should be optional or mandatory in taxicabs, 66 percent of the respondents thought that drivers should have the option of driving a taxicab with or without a shield while 30 percent thought the shields should be mandatory in all taxicabs.

But some drivers pointed out logistical problems with making the shields optional. Taxi driver Mr. Melvin Stewart said that if shields were optional there would be problems for drivers who want to lease a cab.
He asked, "Would you require a certain percent of the fleet to have shields? What if someone wanted a cab with a shield but there weren't any?"

Do Drivers Believe Safety Shields an Effective Protection Device?
53 percent of our respondents to the Chicago Dispatcher survey generally thought the safety shields were an effective protection device, while 28 percent thought they were not. Many drivers said the shields were effective for certain types of threats but not for others.

Specifically, several drivers thought the shields were effective at substantially eliminating the knife threat but were not at all effective in preventing a shooting injury. Some drivers thought that the shields did more harm than good from a psychological perspective. Several drivers told the Chicago Dispatcher that the shields offered a false sense of security. One driver said, "I feel safer than I really am which actually puts me in greater danger."

Re: Shields vs. Cameras - sticking to the subject

Sounds like more than not thought shields were effective. Can a seatbelt save you in all accidents? No. Same for a shield. Why go naked when there is a good safety option that is a help most of the time.

Now for a poll about camera vs. shileds.........

Re: Re: Shields vs. Cameras - sticking to the subject

66 percent of the respondents thought that drivers should have the option of driving a taxicab with or without a shield while 30 percent thought the shields should be mandatory in all taxicabs.

Would it be fair to say that you are in the 30 percent camp? Do you want to force your preference on the majority?

Re: Re: Re: Shields vs. Cameras - sticking to the subject

Lets try the seatbelt question. I am sure we will get similiar results. A shield is the same to us as a seatbelt is to a regular motorist.

How low can you go Fatlu?

Fatlu,

Your quote wasn't "cut up" and you weren't taken out of context at all. I copied and pasted it exactly as you wrote it.

Your other sentences about "charming" a passenger to make a few extra bucks doesn't demonstrate professionalism either. Based on your response, you obviously realized this.

It's shameful what you do "Fatlu." You get defeated in an argument so you take cheap shots at me personally and professionally. You falsely accuse me of taking you out of context, you make a general indictment on the media and suggest that my motivation for advocating for security cameras is to flirt with women.

When you make such ridiculous statements, not only is it an admission that you can't defend your position, but it's downright low.

George

Re: How low can you go Fatlu?

George, Every driver that is sane tries to "charm" the customer to get a gratuity when the opportunity is there. This can be done is many ways. Samples: Hello, Good evening, what's your destination? Sure, is there any route you would like me to take? Are you just visiting or a resident? Nice weather. Let me help you with those groceries. Nice jacket, where did you get it? I want one like that.

Tell me that you do not do this and more with a straight face George.

Re: Re: How low can you go George?

We know how low George cab go. See "snakes in the morning." That is very very low to go.

If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

"Fatlu Hall",

If do all this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Your insincerity is probably more obvious and less appreciated than you think.

It can even be resented by certain passengers.

Being professional and "keeping it real" are two of the most important qualities successful cabdrivers have, in my opinion.

It's not always about money. You should be happy.

It's easy to be nice with a "straight face" if you are genuinely nice.

If you really don't like people enough to have a mutually enjoyable conversation with the strangers who randomly enter your cab, please get out of the taxi business.

Especially if your "enjoyment" is only measured by the size of the tip.

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

George, Every driver that is sane tries to "charm" the customer to get a gratuity when the opportunity is there. This can be done is many ways. Samples: Hello, Good evening, what's your destination? Sure, is there any route you would like me to take? Are you just visiting or a resident? Nice weather. Let me help you with those groceries. Nice jacket, where did you get it? I want one like that.

Tell me that you do not do this and more with a straight face George.

Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

I agree with Mr. Foulks. Don't you hate it when someone lays on fake charm?

Re: Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

Who said I was a faker? I told you all previously that I am in the business of getting someone from point a to point b in one piece. I am a safe driver and have been recognized several times by the state at renewal time for this.

Who said my good nature to my customers is fake. How many of you have been looked down upon by your passengers? Yes, it does happen every night. In spite of this I am nice to all. However, I do not kiss as s when I notice the passenger does not want to engage in conversation or has a superior attitude. I use common sense. I wonder how many others do......

Re: Re: Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

"Fatlu Hall",

This is exactly what you said:

"George, Every driver that is sane tries to "charm" the customer to get a gratuity when the opportunity is there. This can be done is many ways. Samples: Hello, Good evening, what's your destination? Sure, is there any route you would like me to take? Are you just visiting or a resident? Nice weather. Let me help you with those groceries. Nice jacket, where did you get it? I want one like that.

Tell me that you do not do this and more with a straight face George."

Are you not "sane" yourself, Mr. "Fatlu Hall"?

You implied that this "charming" was fake, or at least, insincere enough to be simply about "getting a gratuity".

You then go on to actually project your own attitude (and more) onto Mr. Lutfallah, daring him to deny it "with a straight face".

Most people use "common sense", Mr. "Fatlu Hall". That's why they call it "common".

Not only do you seem to be a fake, you also seem to be arrogant if you think you are in the righteous minority with your "common sense" quip.

Actually, you are proven to be an insincere fake with a mocking attitude - your fake name, "Fatlu Hall", is a re-spelling of "L U T F A L L A H".

I am amazed that George Lutfallah, who is the publisher of the Chicago Dispatcher and the moderator of this discussion forum, actually lets you post your nonsense here with such a name.

I would have banned your IP address.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Who said I was a faker? I told you all previously that I am in the business of getting someone from point a to point b in one piece. I am a safe driver and have been recognized several times by the state at renewal time for this.

Who said my good nature to my customers is fake. How many of you have been looked down upon by your passengers? Yes, it does happen every night. In spite of this I am nice to all. However, I do not kiss as s when I notice the passenger does not want to engage in conversation or has a superior attitude. I use common sense. I wonder how many others do......

it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

Sorry, your IP address has been blocked from accessing this Bravenet Service.

Please contact the webmaster who owns and maintains this service if you require further details about the problem.

For additional assistance, visit our Help Center.

Re: Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

Surprise surprise, Riad is another of Mikes multiple personalities. Ola Shalom shame on you Mike.

Re: Re: Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

"Fatlu Hall",

I have only one personality. I have only used my real name, "Mike Foulks", when posting anything, anywhere, at any time.

Ola Shalom is a real name of a real cabdriver.

I don't know who "Riad" is. It seems you find it impossible that another person could agree with me, or that you are disturbed that one would, and you want to cast aspersions on them or me.

I am not "Riad".

You aren't named "Fatlu Hall". What's your real name?

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Surprise surprise, Riad is another of Mikes multiple personalities. Ola Shalom shame on you Mike.

i said knock it off: mike doesn't even have one "personality"

why does anyone think he has more than one?

Re: Re: Re: Re: If do this just to "get a gratuity", it isn't "charming" or sincere. Be genuine.

Louis Hall. Fatlu for nickname. Perhpas you have seen me at O'Hare. Now for why Kim didn't speak with you, he's scared the bad Mike will be present. The felon. Not the nice guy that wrote to the newspaper and wrote the nice reply about the shields and cameras.

Fo what its worth more and more are now afraid of the door breaking man too. Read the 4th edition of the Voice to see how UTCC members see George. No wonder Steve was mute. They're afraid of you two guys.

Re: How low can you go Fatlu?

George, I am not a member of the media. I do not have to be professional in print working as a taxi driver.

What defeat are you talking about here? Even your old outdated poll shows more than not thought a shield was an effective device.

Why would an unmarried newspaperman of 37 years want to "get closer" to his passengers other than to get the story or perhaps meet someone? I won't mention your own meltdown other than to say it gave the appearance of someone that didn't get what they wanted in a relationship and is still looking. This isn't a cheap shot, rather someones opinion that has been formed by observing you. Be thankful you were not arrested.

I said that the media has been known for taking quotes out of context to create something that isn't. Set up a poll for this comment. 99 percent will agree with me. Again, not a cheap shot at you or your newspaper brothers. Just the fact of the matter. The meltdown at MC's home made your struggles public. Your own polls backed my position that more than not think the shields are a good safety device. I hate wearing a seat belt but do so for safety. Same with a shield. You are in a favor of removing an effective device for an unproven one. One than offers no barrier for the desperate to attack. People that deal in cash are typically separated from the customers. Think ticket window, bank tellers, and many other kind of cashiers. We as drivers are cashiers as well. This is another reason the partition was/is required.

Do you know the history of partitions in Chicago taxi's? I saw Wolfgang Weiss at the Field about two weeks ago. He told me an interesting story that would be good material for your publication. You should ask him about it.

Another question that has been left unanswered: Are you still a weekly publication or have you gone back to a monthly format?

My taxi safety position is well defended and is in the majority. Saying a newspaper man or the media is known for taking quotes out of context isn't shameful or rediculous, its one of the most well known things about the media. Taking an excerpt of a full quote out and posting it was done in the media before any of us were born and it will continue well after both of us are dead. What's naive is pretending that it isn't common.

F.L. Hall

i said knock it off

knock it off george. you can't pretend to have a brain. we all know better.