General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To All New Drivers

I know there are probably alot of questions on here about this but I can't find any posts in the search .

I want to start a career as a Taxi driver .

Could anyone please answer these questions.....

On average what is .....
the weekly TAKE HOME pay for 40 hours ?

the weekly TAKE HOME pay for 60 hours ?

I'am looking to bring home atleast $500.00 a week .
Would I have to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week to make that ?

Who are the best companies to drive for in the City of Chicago ?

I live near Carriage Cab around 26th & State , I'll most likley see if they are hiring .Are they a good company ?

Do all companies allow you to take home the cab and start a shift whenever you want ?

Is there an option to bring the cab back every night so they will take LESS out of leasing the cab ? Or would they charge the same as when you bring it home ?

Are you only allowed to travel in certain parts , meaning do companies give you a certain Zone to work in ? Or are you free to go where you want ?

What should I expect for being a new driver ?

Do companies go by senority as to who gets what pick-ups ? Or is it every man for themselves ?

What are basic company hiring policies ? What would they look for in hiring someone ?

Any other advice you can share would be appreciated .

Re: To All New Drivers

Good luck my friend. I work for Yellow 7 days a week. My lease is 518 a week 24 hrs of course. I bring home 500 after gas sometimes less. I work like M-TH 4am-7pm. Friday 11am-4am saturday morning. On, saturday I work from 1pm-5am sunday morning. On, sundays I just work 3pm-midnight.

Re: Re: To All New Drivers

This driver takes home less than 5.00 per hour. He claims to work 102 hours a week. While we do need a raise to make the decent wages we deserve, no one can be this bad of a driver. I paid more for a weekly lease at Yellow 10 years ago. Your numbers and hours don't add up. If you claimed to book 1600 before lease and fuel I would have believed you. 900 lease and fuel and 700 for your pocket would be more realistic. I can make 700 profit on a 12 hour lease too without killing myself like you do.

Re: To All New Drivers, dont drive cab, bussiness is slow with too many cabs

i strongly advice you to do any other job inclkuding at resturants or mcdonald because bussiness has been slow for few years and there are just too many cabs in street that is killing bussiness.

you make about $40 or maximum of $50 a day forurself after gas and lease if bussiness is ok and u worked for like 10 hours not including breaks.
you can make that at macdonald in 8 hrs easily.

also too many fines and tickets for cabbiess.

i have been working as cabbie for 9 yrs and i say this from my expereince.
never drive cab i too am soon changing job.

byeeeeeeeee

i said knock it off

i said knock it off.

cab bussiness sucks

Cab bussiness sucks. To many cabs, to muck traffic, to many fine, and tickets. I am off to drive a truck.

Re: cab bussiness sucks

Go over the road and end up making less. I still average 100 cash profit for working 9 hours at night. Easy 700 weekly.

Re: Re: cab bussiness sucks

I will be working for my brother truck company J.B. Hunt. I will be making 77 a mile, plus they pay for my gas and food. I think i will be making out good. I will be out west on chicago

Re: Re: Re: cab bussiness sucks

I always see .29 per mile promised.

Re: Re: Re: Re: cab bussiness sucks

True that. my brother owns the truck. he can charge what he wants

Re: To All New Drivers

There's a reason that there are few American cab drivers. Figure it out before wasting any time on this poor excuse for an occupation.