General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2009 fare increase / we need 25% / reply to S.C. Watts.

I have been a Chicago cabdriver for 21 years. When I started as a rookie driver, the flag was a dollar at .90 cents per mile. There were several raises during my time as a cabdriver to what we are making now, and drivers were satisfied with whatever the city has offered till Mayor Daley took office.

Before Mayor Daley took office, the city wasn't flooded with cabs like now that slows our business. We were making money till Shoenberger became commissioner and she was very power hungry. She added a thousand more medallions on the street and that hurt us. Extra medallions on the street meant more revenue for the city on our expenses. CHICAGO TODAY HAS MORE CABS PER CAPITA,THAN ANY MAJOR CITY IN THE UNITED STATES. Thanks or no thanks to former consumer services commissioner Carolyn Shoenberger.

I am aware that the city only allows cabdrivers to petition once a year for a fare increase. A 25% fare increase was something we talked about a year ago, before the U.T.C.C. group came up with 16% and still keep the fuel surcharge. The U.T.C.C. group figured that the commissioner would only turn her back on us if 25% is requested, but 16% together with the surcharge can persuade to the commissioner to offer us the fare increase now at this time. But, whatever the rate we asking for, we still have to wait till March 2009, while the cost of living is still increasing. So how will 16% help us after March 2009, and still keep the surcharge? That's why we have to go for 25%. The surcharge only garnishes our tip. To me, the fuel surcharge is an insult!

Our present commissioner Norma I.Reyes uses excuses such as; drivers complaints from the riding public has doubled more now than last year, as an excuse to deny the drivers a fare increase. Norma Reyes' office even created more rules and regulations against the drivers, to see how much money the city can get from us drivers. Mayor Daley and the commissioner has no heart for the drivers who has to provide for their families. I feel the commissioner has a hatred for cabdrivers. I know for sure that if the commissioner would only start attending church, she wouldn't be so mean like she is now.

My relationship with George Lutfullah, we're only friends. I don't always agree with everything George says, but I'm not going to provoke him by calling him names, fight with him, or try embarrassing him on cabmarket. I'm alittle more easy going and I try to get along with everybody. I have worn out my welcome in Wolfgang's group, but I still consider him a friend and we still talk. I know that George and Wolfgang don't see eye to eye, but I'm not going to get involved or get in their way. George knows that I talk to Wolfgang and Peter, and he's not against me for that. Wolfgang has done me favors like George has and I keep peace with both of them. I just go about my business and move on. It would be great if everybody would practice that.