General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
I love answering serious questions. Here are some answers.

Mr. Ryan,

I love answering serious questions. Here are some answers. (I've included your questions word-for-word for clarity.)

1. What is your plan to gain the support of over and estinated 3,000 cab drivers you will need at City Hall?

I am not interested in personally receiving support of any amount of cabdrivers for any reason.

What concerns me is that any individuals or groups which purport to represent me or my fellow cabdrivers do so respecting a democratic process to make that claim.

I am merely a placeholder until more popular reprsentatives are elected, that is, if those who want to represent us come forward and respect the votes and will of us cabdrivers.

2. Does your plan specifiy the strategies and tactics you intend to use to accomplish your goals and ambitions?

Yes. The CCO Articles of Organization outline just how such elections regularly take place and how whatever cabdrivers who are elected may change the rules.

3. Do you have a budget?

No. The CCO doesn't collect money or gifts. It is essentially a potential and much-needed "center table" for all of the groups who may or may not collect money themselves to regularly communicate and cooperate, equitably representing groups which may naturally have different interests (and much different levels of actual support).

A universal treasury and budget would only complicate what serious differences of opinion we have now.

4. Do you have the means to collect the revenue you will need to finance the day-to-day and long term operations of this bold undertaking?

Yes. I am committed to personally investing whatever funds I need from my own pocket to ensure that the third CCO election occurs next month.

5. What is your educational, managerial and hands-on experience and background that qualifies you for a leadership role?

I don't anticipate remaining as the President of the CCO very much longer, so I'll avoid the "leadership role" part of your question.

I can promote and run this election, with whatever help or oversight anyone who is a current Chicago cabdriver might want.

I might still remain as a Cabdriver-Representative and you would have to ask those who would vote to keep me as one as to what quality or opinion they find worth endorsing. I am sure there are a variety of reasons. I suppose it comes down to my trust-worthiness.

6. Aside from your current activities, how long have you been actively involved in any leadership postion or position of authority?

Your questions are kind of vague. I have had many different leadership positions and positions of authority. I would say such positions have been part of my life ever since I was a crossing guard, I guess.

7. Have you created and developed any other organization that has become an effective group, recognized as a legally authorized representive by any industry or government body?

You are mixing apples and oranges, potentially. Any group doesn't necessarily have to be "legally authorized" or "recognized" by anybody to be become as "effective", if not more so, than those who are.

8. Have you ever managed an operating budget of $100,000.00 or mnore?

Yes, but not exclusively. When I was younger, I served as assistant managers in several positions, more responsible for cash and labor controls than budgeting per se. I have been responsible for millions dollars of equipment and hundreds of children's lives. I've assisted the opening of several different types of operations which had yearly budgets of over $100,000 and even a million dollars.

There was a period when, if I suddenly showed up at the gas station you managed at your boss's request, any vacation you might have been scheduled for was likely to be permanent.

I have been personally responsible for tens of thousands of dollars on a daily basis.

9. Have you ever applied for and been denies a passport? If so, when and why?

I have never applied for a passport.

10. Do you have a criminal record or have you ever been arrested for any alleged crimes? If so, when and why?

I have a criminal record. First, a misdemeanor of contributing to the deliquency of a minor based on a curfew violation. I also have a misdemeanor and a felony conviction for telephone harassment.

I have been detained, questioned, and arrested for a variety of reasons. One of my favorite encounters was with the Elk Grove police officer who stopped me while walking to high school in the middle of the afternoon. He thought I matched the description of a jewel-thief apparently operating in the area.

See how much trouble you can get into when you oversleep!

11. What would you say is your strongest attribute that qualiiifies you as a leader and spolesman for cab drivers?

I am less interested about being a spokesman for cabdrivers than I am more interested in leading the way in demanding that our spokespersons are democratically-elected/-appointed and not self-appointed or self-interested outsiders who become so with pretension or illusion.

The agenda should be independently our own.

Otherwise, I would say my intelligence and insistence on truthfulness from all parties encourages others to designate me as a leader.

I am not afraid to take charge when necessary, without any regard to popular opinion if I believe I am doing the right thing.

12. What is your greatest weakness?

I am nice to a fault. Then, I can become one unforgiving son-of-a-bitch. That is perhaps my greatest weakness. I am sure I have many more. I guess pride prevents me from listing all the others.

-Mike Foulks

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

1. What is your plan to gain the support of over and estinated 3,000 cab drivers you will need at City Hall?

2. Does your plan specifiy the strategies and tactics you intend to use to accomplish your goals and ambitions?

3. Do you have a budget?

4. Do you have the means to collect the revenue you will need to finance the day-to-day and long term operations of this bold undertaking?

5. What is your educational, managerial and hands-on experience and background that qualifies you for a leadership role?

6. Aside from your current activities, how long have you been actively involved in any leadership postion or position of authority?

7. Have you created and developed any other organization that has become an effective group, recognized as a legally authorized representive by any industry or government body?

8. Have you ever managed an operating budget of $100,000.00 or mnore?

9. Have you ever applied for and been denies a passport? If so, when and why?

10. Do you have a criminal record or have you ever been arrested for any alleged crimes? If so, when and why?

11. What would you say is your strongest attribute that qualiiifies you as a leader and spolesman for cab drivers?

12. What is your greatest weakness?

Re: ARGUING WITH A CRYING BABY

What it’s like to argue with a crying baby:

Organizer #1: Crying Baby, what are you crying about? Is it because you don’t like my friends or co-workers?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Organizer #1: Well I like them just fine, they don’t have anything to do with you anyway, why do you keep crying? Is it your feeding time? Let me get you a bottle of warm milk. How’s that, Crying Baby?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaahhhh! Waaaaaaaaahhhh!

Organizer #1: Oh, that’s not it? What is it you want, Crying Baby? You want rights for cabdrivers? Well I do too! Let’s work together to achieve it. Let’s talk about it, OK?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Organizer #1: Oh, that’s not it? Well, is it your poopy diaper? Let me change that for you, then maybe we can talk, OK? How’s that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaahhhhhhh! Waaaaahhhhh! (Prateek) Waaaa(Prateek!)aaaaaaahhhh! Waaaaaaaaahhhh! (Prateek!)

Organizer #1: Oh, are you having hiccups, Crying Baby? Let me burp you! Now can we talk about organizing cabdrivers for their rights?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Organizer #1: OK, Crying Baby, I’m getting a little frustrated here. I’m just going to keep working on organizing the cabdrivers, OK? If you have a better idea, why don’t you just go work on your idea, OK? Maybe you can get an organization of Crying Babies together, and we can work together, how about that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaah! Waaaaaahhhhh! (Outsiders!) Waaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaahhhhhh! (Only Chicago cabdrivers!) Waaaaaahhhhh!

Organizer #1: Ok, I understand you have a different idea. OK, Crying Baby, let’s talk about our differences, can you do that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Organizer #1: OK, well maybe you can’t. I’m going to get on my way, OK, Crying Baby? I have 9,990 more adult cabdrivers to talk to, dialogue with, and organize so we can get some rights, OK? You go ahead and organize your 10 crying baby cabdrivers, and we’ll see who the other drivers like better, OK? Good luck!

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Who is a "CRYING BABY"?

"Friend of the UTCC",

Interesting how you aren't proud enough to indentify yourself.

Who is a "CRYING BABY"? You? Prateek Sampat?

Prateek Sampat of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) is a LIAR. He is a RACIST. He believes things about Chicago cabdrivers that aren't true. He is a LEFT-WING RADICAL who is modelling his "Project" on that of a MARXIST from New York.

What "rights" for cabdrivers are being denied us by whom and how do you presume that I agree with you?

It seems you don't ever specify these.

The "outsiders" apparently want to force Chicago cabdrivers to pay into a pension a la Workman's Comp.

Yeah, I am just paranoid. The fact that one of these guys made a living off of Workman's Comp which is a rip-off for Chicago cabdrivers is just a coincidence.

I find it funny that Donald Nathan claims to "keep in touch" with the "industry" so much but doesn't explain how he was involved or benefited from Workman's Comp being forced upon Chicago cabdrivers.

Especially when he claims to have helped thousands of Chicago cabdrivers constantly over the years.

Maybe he can detail his involvement with the Seafarer's Union and its demise?

No, I am sure he doesn't like answering questions from a felon, I mean, fellow like me.

He prefers misleading cabdrivers he likes to call "mopes".

The UTCC doesn't have even 10 members. I challenge anyone to name them and their contact info to verify.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

What it’s like to argue with a crying baby:

Organizer #1: Crying Baby, what are you crying about? Is it because you don’t like my friends or co-workers?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

Organizer #1: Well I like them just fine, they don’t have anything to do with you anyway, why do you keep crying? Is it your feeding time? Let me get you a bottle of warm milk. How’s that, Crying Baby?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaahhhh! Waaaaaaaaahhhh!

Organizer #1: Oh, that’s not it? What is it you want, Crying Baby? You want rights for cabdrivers? Well I do too! Let’s work together to achieve it. Let’s talk about it, OK?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Organizer #1: Oh, that’s not it? Well, is it your poopy diaper? Let me change that for you, then maybe we can talk, OK? How’s that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaahhhhhhh! Waaaaahhhhh! (Prateek) Waaaa(Prateek!)aaaaaaahhhh! Waaaaaaaaahhhh! (Prateek!)

Organizer #1: Oh, are you having hiccups, Crying Baby? Let me burp you! Now can we talk about organizing cabdrivers for their rights?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Organizer #1: OK, Crying Baby, I’m getting a little frustrated here. I’m just going to keep working on organizing the cabdrivers, OK? If you have a better idea, why don’t you just go work on your idea, OK? Maybe you can get an organization of Crying Babies together, and we can work together, how about that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaah! Waaaaaahhhhh! (Outsiders!) Waaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaahhhhhh! (Only Chicago cabdrivers!) Waaaaaahhhhh!

Organizer #1: Ok, I understand you have a different idea. OK, Crying Baby, let’s talk about our differences, can you do that?

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Organizer #1: OK, well maybe you can’t. I’m going to get on my way, OK, Crying Baby? I have 9,990 more adult cabdrivers to talk to, dialogue with, and organize so we can get some rights, OK? You go ahead and organize your 10 crying baby cabdrivers, and we’ll see who the other drivers like better, OK? Good luck!

Crying Baby (Organizer #2): Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Re: Who is a "CRYING BABY"?

"Who is a "CRYING BABY"? You? Prateek Sampat?"

Guess again.

Hint: It starts with "Mik" and ends with "lks".

Dopey. "Who is a "DOPEY BABY"?

Re: 1300 DRIVERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Here the report from the Tribune:

Taxi drivers ask mayor for fare increase because of gas prices, economic concerns
by Annie Martin, Copyrigh, Chicago Tribune 2008
Oct 02, 2008

Chicago taxi drivers are seeking a 16 percent fare increase, and threatening a strike if they don’t get it.

Members of the United Taxidrivers Community Council presented petitions with their request for the increase to representatives from Mayor Daley’s office Wednesday.

“We are overdue for a fare increase,” said Ron Florence, the organization’s spokesman. “We have families we have to take care of, bills we have to pay.”

Florence and about a dozen other taxi drivers and supporters presented the petition signed by more than 1,300 drivers who say economic conditions and gas prices are hurting their income. In addition to the increase, they want biennial review of fares.

There are about 6,500 taxi medallians in the city, Florence said.

The city is committed to looking into a fare increase for 2009, said Norma Reyes, commissioner of the Department of Consumer Services.

The price of gas has risen more than 50 percent since the last fare increase in 2005, said Peter Enger, a member of the organization. He said the drivers would like an independent body to research the costs of cab driving and the current economic conditions.

A $1 surcharge was added to all trips earlier this year, but it is inadequate to cover the cost of fuel, Florence said.

“The fuel surcharge has given some of the drivers a few extra dollars, but overall it has not made a dent in our incomes,” he said.

Florence also said the charge is not fair to riders because it is the same amount for long and short trips.

The drivers also complained of receiving hefty fines for “minute” traffic violations. Fines range from $75 to $1,000, Enger said.

“I don’t know of any other business where you can be fined half of your monthly income for one mistake,” he said.

If Daley does not respond to the drivers’ requests, Khozindar said, there will be a one-day strike, followed by a rush-hour strike. He did not set a time limit for response to their request.

Enger didn’t give specific numbers, but said the organization surveyed “thousands” of drivers, and “95 percent” said they would be willing to strike.

Khozindar said he thinks a strike would be effective because of the city’s reliance on taxis and because it may affect the city’s bid for the 2016 Olympics.

“The strike will paralyze the city,” he said. “We are moving the city.”

One of 1300 UTCC Supporters

Who were the ones quoted in the Tribune?

Ron Florence? Peter Enger? Fayez Khozindar? It wasn't your nemesis, Sampat, who was quoted. Rather it was a series of Chicago cabdrivers who the reporter found to interview. Why do you want to pooh-pooh their efforts? How does this make for a fare increase?

Look, I wish you well in your efforts to organize cabdrivers in Chicago. Why would anyone wish you anything less? But tone down the passion against those who also mean well and who are struggling to accomplish the same set of goals. Your animus is accomplishing nothing productive.

This isn't Obama v. McCain. Let's hope that 1300 finally does make a difference, especially so when coupled with the threat of unannounced focused strikes if the 1300 go ignored. Why don't you take your 26 or 40 or however many and try to support the 1300.

In fact, I'll bet you those 1300 are to a person among the 2000 you had. Let's rally the other 700 and some more. Doesn't that make more sense than picking at one another?

Donald Nathan

Sampat is the puppeteer of the UTCC.

Mr. Nathan,

Sampat is the puppeteer of the UTCC. In all of the initial reports, it is Sampat who was mentioned and quoted.

Sampat claims that he and the American Friends Service Committee want to work "quietly behind the scenes". What a bunch of bull.

The reporters didn't "find" Florence, Enger, or Khozindar. They were "led" to them by Sampat.

They are quoted as members of an organization called the United Taxidrivers Community Council (UTCC) which they have "led" reporters to believe has 1000 members or more. What a bunch of bull.

The reporters aren't buying it, by the way.

How am I "pooh-poohing" their efforts? They haven't done anything different from what Melissa or I did last year.

In fact, I seem to recall that Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell were against cabdrivers threatening strikes.

Peter Enger himself criticized me for "threatening" the Transportation Committe with a strike or demonstration. What a hypocrite he has finally proven to be!

Mr. Nathan, let me "tune up" my passionate animus against you:

You continue to presume that Prateek Sampat of the AFSC or anybody in its puppet UTCC and I are trying to "accomplish the same set of goals".

Take my 26 or 40 or however and do what?

**** you, Mr. Nathan. I collected and supervised the collection of hundreds of signatures in a matter of days last year.

Gas just went down 35 cents a gallon. Nice timing, jackasses.

I'm not wasting any of my time with anything to do with the AFSC or UTCC activities involving Prateek Sampat. He's a known liar. He's not a cabdriver. He's in this for his own political agenda.

Florence, Enger, and Khozindar were all aware of and invited to particpate in the open and democratic CCO. They chose not to. They want to put themselves in charge. They don't care what cabdrivers actually think; they have the AFSC to prop them up.

All those 1300 signatures might do is force a public hearing on a fare increase - perhaps long before we are even allowed to receive one.

Even though it might be at odds with what the UTCC expects to happen, I am going forward with my organizing plans as scheduled.

It's what Chicago cabdrivers actually want to happen by guys who they hope and trust can "get results".

I am sure that the AFSC and UTCC will find some excuse not to support it, even though my particular involvement is less relevant than the fact that they will sacrifice the will of current Chicago cabdrivers in order to have some fake appearance of influence or power or righteousness.

Surprise, surprise, Pankaj Kapoor the Schemer got himself a big picture in the Trib. Maybe now "Fatlu Hall" will come out of the closet and start asking cabdrivers for those lucrative dues he's been fantasizing about collecting for years now.

15 cabdrivers at a press conference asking for a fare increase? Seems like even cabdrivers don't support this group or its petition that much.

I would love to know exactly who these 15 were. I'd bet that there weren't even 15 actual cabdrivers.

To sum up: the UTCC doesn't represent Chicago cabdrivers. The UTCC doesn't even respect the groups and individuals who do. Hence, the UTCC isn't respected or influential enough to get the support any of us needs to call strikes or secure a sufficient fare increase. Not just because I say so, either.

Politics is a gradual process. These guys are simply an echo from last year's initial moves.

Prateek Sampat finally got to do what he wanted. What have cabdrivers gotten?

The challenge still stands to all UTCC and CPTDA members: prove your actual support by standing for election in the CCO.

I'm not participating in any potential strike until after November 19, 2008.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Ron Florence? Peter Enger? Fayez Khozindar? It wasn't your nemesis, Sampat, who was quoted. Rather it was a series of Chicago cabdrivers who the reporter found to interview. Why do you want to pooh-pooh their efforts? How does this make for a fare increase?

Look, I wish you well in your efforts to organize cabdrivers in Chicago. Why would anyone wish you anything less? But tone down the passion against those who also mean well and who are struggling to accomplish the same set of goals. Your animus is accomplishing nothing productive.

This isn't Obama v. McCain. Let's hope that 1300 finally does make a difference, especially so when coupled with the threat of unannounced focused strikes if the 1300 go ignored. Why don't you take your 26 or 40 or however many and try to support the 1300.

In fact, I'll bet you those 1300 are to a person among the 2000 you had. Let's rally the other 700 and some more. Doesn't that make more sense than picking at one another?

Donald Nathan

Re: Sampat is the puppeteer of the UTCC.

Brother Mike is terribly confused about American Friends Service Committee. The things he says are not funny, only pathetic. What is funny about his comments: He tries to taunt and fight like a street gang youth with people who fight with faith, hope, charity and good works, as their Christian values, beliefs and good works guide them. Brother Mike can not see the futility of try to build himself up by tearing others down.

About AFSC

The American Friends Service Committee carries out service, development, social justice, and peace programs throughout the world. Founded by Quakers in 1917 to provide conscientious objectors with an opportunity to aid civilian war victims, AFSC's work attracts the support and partnership of people of many races, religions, and cultures.

AFSC's work is based on the Quaker belief in the worth of every person and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and injustice. The organization's mission and achievements won worldwide recognition in 1947 when it accepted the Nobel Peace Prize with the British Friends Service Council on behalf of all Quakers.

The AFSC is directed by a Quaker board and staffed by Quakers and other people of faith who share the Friends' desire for peace and social justice.

AFSC Mission Statement

The American Friends Service Committee is a practical expression of the faith of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Committed to the principles of nonviolence and justice, it seeks in its work and witness to draw on the transforming power of love, human and divine.

We recognize that the leadings of the Spirit and the principles of truth found through Friends' experience and practice are not the exclusive possession of any group. Thus, the AFSC draws into its work people of many faiths and backgrounds who share the values that animate its life and who bring to it a rich variety of experiences and spiritual insights.

This AFSC community works to transform conditions and relationships both in the world and in ourselves, which threaten to overwhelm what is precious in human beings. We nurture the faith that conflicts can be resolved nonviolently, that enmity can be transformed into friendship, strife into cooperation, poverty into well-being, and injustice into dignity and participation. We believe that ultimately goodness can prevail over evil, and oppression in all its many forms can give way.

AFSC Values

We cherish the belief that there is that of God in each person, leading us to respect the worth and dignity of all. We are guided and empowered by the Spirit in following the radical thrust of the early Christian witness. From these beliefs flow the core understandings that form the spiritual framework of our organization and guide its work.

We regard no person as our enemy. While we often oppose specific actions and abuses of power, we seek to address the goodness and truth in each individual.

We assert the transforming power of love and nonviolence as a challenge to injustice and violence and as a force for reconciliation.

We seek and trust the power of the Spirit to guide the individual and collective search for truth and practical action.

We accept our understandings of truth as incomplete and have faith that new perceptions of truth will continue to be revealed both to us and to others.

AFSC Work

We seek to understand and address the root causes of poverty, injustice, and war. We hope to act with courage and vision in taking initiatives that may not be popular.

We are called to confront, nonviolently, powerful institutions of violence, evil, oppression, and injustice. Such actions may engage us in creative tumult and tension in the process of basic change. We seek opportunities to help reconcile enemies and to facilitate a peaceful and just resolution of conflict.

We work to relieve and prevent suffering through both immediate aid and long-term development and seek to serve the needs of people on all sides of violent strife.

We ground our work at the community level both at home and abroad in partnership with those who suffer the conditions we seek to change and informed by their strength and vision.

We work with all people, the poor and the materially comfortable, the disenfranchised and the powerful in pursuit of justice. We encourage collaboration in social transformation towards a society that recognizes the dignity of each person. We believe that the Spirit can move among all these groups, making great change possible.

Seeking to transform the institutions of society, we are ourselves transformed in the process. As we work in the world around us, our awareness grows that the AFSC's own organizational life must change to reflect the same goals we urge others to achieve.

We find in our life of service a great adventure. We are committed to this Spirit-led journey, undertaken "to see what love can do," and we are ever renewed by it.

(Adopted by the Board of Directors, June 19, 1994) (www.afsc.org)

Respectfully,
A friend of the ‘Friends’

Re: Re: Sampat is the puppeteer of the UTCC.

"A Friend of the Friends",

Again, interesting how you aren't proud enough to use your real name.

I am not your "Brother". Quit the condescension, "Bro".

I am not "terribly confused" about the AFSC. Nothing I say about them is meant to be "funny".

How is calling someone on their lies "taunting and fighting like a street gang youth"? That's a pathetic comment.

My Christian beliefs don't include this "Good Works" concept. Besides, what does religion have to do with this?

There isn't a single Quaker among current Chicago cabdrivers that I am aware of. Why are the Quakers so interested in foisting a lying, left-wing radical racist like Prateek Sampat upon our natural organizing activists and activities?

Nobody builds themselves up by tearing themselves down. I tear into lies and liars. I don't tolerate racists and racism.

I don't care if Prateek Sampat is from the AFSC, USC, AFL-CIO, or any other group. He is a snake among us and his employer is responsible for his being so.

I am going to re-post Melissa Callahan's AFSC post so you can get another opinion of the AFSC, Prateek Sampat, and his boss, Mike McConnell.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Brother Mike is terribly confused about American Friends Service Committee. The things he says are not funny, only pathetic. What is funny about his comments: He tries to taunt and fight like a street gang youth with people who fight with faith, hope, charity and good works, as their Christian values, beliefs and good works guide them. Brother Mike can not see the futility of try to build himself up by tearing others down.

About AFSC

The American Friends Service Committee carries out service, development, social justice, and peace programs throughout the world. Founded by Quakers in 1917 to provide conscientious objectors with an opportunity to aid civilian war victims, AFSC's work attracts the support and partnership of people of many races, religions, and cultures.

AFSC's work is based on the Quaker belief in the worth of every person and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and injustice. The organization's mission and achievements won worldwide recognition in 1947 when it accepted the Nobel Peace Prize with the British Friends Service Council on behalf of all Quakers.

The AFSC is directed by a Quaker board and staffed by Quakers and other people of faith who share the Friends' desire for peace and social justice.

AFSC Mission Statement

The American Friends Service Committee is a practical expression of the faith of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Committed to the principles of nonviolence and justice, it seeks in its work and witness to draw on the transforming power of love, human and divine.

We recognize that the leadings of the Spirit and the principles of truth found through Friends' experience and practice are not the exclusive possession of any group. Thus, the AFSC draws into its work people of many faiths and backgrounds who share the values that animate its life and who bring to it a rich variety of experiences and spiritual insights.

This AFSC community works to transform conditions and relationships both in the world and in ourselves, which threaten to overwhelm what is precious in human beings. We nurture the faith that conflicts can be resolved nonviolently, that enmity can be transformed into friendship, strife into cooperation, poverty into well-being, and injustice into dignity and participation. We believe that ultimately goodness can prevail over evil, and oppression in all its many forms can give way.

AFSC Values

We cherish the belief that there is that of God in each person, leading us to respect the worth and dignity of all. We are guided and empowered by the Spirit in following the radical thrust of the early Christian witness. From these beliefs flow the core understandings that form the spiritual framework of our organization and guide its work.

We regard no person as our enemy. While we often oppose specific actions and abuses of power, we seek to address the goodness and truth in each individual.

We assert the transforming power of love and nonviolence as a challenge to injustice and violence and as a force for reconciliation.

We seek and trust the power of the Spirit to guide the individual and collective search for truth and practical action.

We accept our understandings of truth as incomplete and have faith that new perceptions of truth will continue to be revealed both to us and to others.

AFSC Work

We seek to understand and address the root causes of poverty, injustice, and war. We hope to act with courage and vision in taking initiatives that may not be popular.

We are called to confront, nonviolently, powerful institutions of violence, evil, oppression, and injustice. Such actions may engage us in creative tumult and tension in the process of basic change. We seek opportunities to help reconcile enemies and to facilitate a peaceful and just resolution of conflict.

We work to relieve and prevent suffering through both immediate aid and long-term development and seek to serve the needs of people on all sides of violent strife.

We ground our work at the community level both at home and abroad in partnership with those who suffer the conditions we seek to change and informed by their strength and vision.

We work with all people, the poor and the materially comfortable, the disenfranchised and the powerful in pursuit of justice. We encourage collaboration in social transformation towards a society that recognizes the dignity of each person. We believe that the Spirit can move among all these groups, making great change possible.

Seeking to transform the institutions of society, we are ourselves transformed in the process. As we work in the world around us, our awareness grows that the AFSC's own organizational life must change to reflect the same goals we urge others to achieve.

We find in our life of service a great adventure. We are committed to this Spirit-led journey, undertaken "to see what love can do," and we are ever renewed by it.

Respectfully,

Melissa Callahan comments about the AFSC, Prateek Sampat, and Mike McConnell

Subject: AFSC
Name: Melissa Callahan
Date Posted: Oct 20, 07 - 10:38 PM
melissacci@yahoo.com
Message: This is a response to a couple of emails that I've received that question what the problem is between AFSC and me.

The second day into distributing the fliers calling for the strike, a driver approached me and gave me a business card from Prateek Sampat w/AFSC, who had been at O’Hare looking for me. I didn't know who Prateek was or why he was trying to reach me. The next morning, I called Prateek. He asked for me to come and meet with him to discuss the strike at Kabob Corner where he was also having another meeting with other drivers regarding lease cap violations. I attended their meeting with the other drivers and stayed afterward to meet with Prateek, Mike McConnell and a representative of the CIOCG. During their meeting regarding the lease cap issue, I listened to Prateek talk about how lease caps have been violated and I became angry at the thought that once again I, along with other taxi drivers had been taken advantage of. I agreed to bring my leases to AFSC. I agreed to nothing more than that. At the end of the meeting, Prateek and Mike McConnell said that they wanted to support the strike. At that point, I was three days into handing out fliers without very much help. Being completely exhausted, I very happily and gratefully accepted their offer to help.

Mistake 1 DISHONESTY
Prateek has been lying to anyone who will listen, saying that I sought him out and requested help from AFSC. How AFSC and I became involved is not a huge issue to me – it apparently is to them. My problem with this particular situation is that Prateek Sampat has proved to be a dishonest person.

The day before the strike, Prateek asked me to come into his office to prepare me for the press conference that AFSC had scheduled. George Lutfallah, whom I had met only a couple of days before, had also offered to help me with what he could. I decided to take George Lutfallah up on his offer to help me so, I called him and asked him to attend AFSC's meeting to prep me. He said that he couldn't make it but, Jonathan Bullington, Chicago Dispatcher’s Managing Editor, would be able to. I called Prateek to let him know that someone from the Chicago Dispatcher would be attending the meeting also. Prateek said okay and ten minutes later called me back to say that George and/or Jonathan were not allowed at the meeting. I insisted that Jonathan be there. My thoughts were that if I'm preparing for media questions, who better than to advise me than the media themselves? Prateek disagreed but reluctantly agreed to Jonathan being a part of the press-prep meeting.

Mistake 2 AUTHORITY?
This was a meeting for me. AFSC has no right to tell me who I can and cannot accept advice from.

The Chicago Dispatcher was never formally invited to the actual press conference and didn't receive a press packet like the other media. Why the complete disregard for the Chicago Dispatcher?

The day of the strike, after the press conference, I met with Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell, at their request, to "debrief." During this meeting, Prateek informed me that the next step after the strike was to start organizing drivers. I explained that I thought it was a good idea but, it was too big of a task for me. Mike McConnell and Prateek tried, unsuccessfully, for an hour to persuade me to take on this project while incorrectly implying that I had agreed to organize drivers in return for their support of the strike.

Mistake 3 IMPOSITION
AFSC thought they could impose on me and pressure me into what they thought “the next step was.” I will not be pushed into anything and I take great offense when people attempt to do so.

Mistake 4 MANIPULATION
AFSC tried to lay a guilt trip on me by basically sending the message: We supported you with the strike and now you’re abandoning your obligation to us. AFSC should’ve understood that these guilt trip attempts and manipulation tactics would be unsuccessful and very offensive.

Mistake 5 CONDITIONS
I do not accept help when something is expected in return. If you would like to offer help, offer it unconditionally. Otherwise, it is not a genuine offer in my opinion.

Feeling the tension between AFSC and George Lutfallah, after the Snakes in the Morning editorial came out and having a somewhat naïve “let’s all work together” attitude, I decided to call a meeting to bring all existing taxi associations and advocates together and mend fences between everyone. Some of the people who attended were Raja Khan, George Kasp, Johnny Holmes, Ted Budzynski, George Lutfallah and me. Let’s be clear. The meeting was specifically meant to bring peace between everyone but, especially George Lutfallah and Prateek Sampat, AFSC.

Mistake 6 COUNTERACTIVE
Prateek Sampat did not show up. George Lutfallah did. That showed me a lot about who is willing to work together and who was not.

AFSC held a meeting for drivers. I was told by driver, Zafar Bhatti, that drivers were confused and wanted to know whether or not it was a meeting that I had scheduled. Prateek called me the day of the meeting to ask if I was planning on attending. To eliminate any confusion and to address any drivers with questions, I attended. Only when the question of my involvement with AFSC was brought up by driver, Mike Foulks, did I speak on that subject. At some point during the discussion of this topic, Prateek stated that George Lutfallah is not allowed at any organizing meetings.

Mistake 7 DICTATORSHIP
That’s when I had heard enough. I told Prateek and the other drivers that his comment was exactly what George Lutfallah had a problem with, AFSC trying to control drivers. Who is Prateek or his boss to tell drivers how to run our meetings? Who is Prateek or his boss to say who can or cannot attend? Being cabdrivers does not mean that we’re stupid and are incapable of making our own decisions.
Some of the most intelligent people that I’ve come across are cab drivers and I’m so sorry that AFSC can’t appreciate our capabilities.

Weeks after that meeting, Prateek asked to meet with me. At this point, so many drivers expressed to me their need for a “union” and I had accepted the responsibility of creating what they envisioned. During this meeting, Prateek spoke about the funds that AFSC had available for drivers to start this organization. He also said that AFSC would be taking more of a “secretarial role” from that day on. He wrote down guidelines that the organization would have to meet in order to receive these funds. The guidelines are listed below in the exact wording from Prateek.

Organizing Committee (or similar)
• Should have majority lease drivers
• Also has some single medallion owners
• Is clearly independent of the city and large medallion/fleet owners
• Should include leaders from all communities or close with appropriate representation
• Should have a fair and democratic process

Should have majority lease drivers
I believe that the committee should be made up of whatever the drivers vote on, not what AFSC says. If the majority of drivers that choose to vote elect 30 committee members and the majority happens to be medallion owners, so be it. If the majority of votes are for candidates who are lease drivers, so be it. The ultimate decision of what the majority of the committee is made up of is THE DRIVERS’ DECISION.

Also has some single medallion owners
Why did Prateek use the word “single”? Is someone who owns two medallions a horrible person and does not deserve to be on the committee? Is it so wrong for someone to own two cabs, drive one and lease out the other? The man that I lease my cab from owns two medallions, is the sweetest little man ever and couldn’t hurt a fly. Should this man be considered a predator out to victimize lease drivers?
Why should drivers who own two or three medallions be excluded from the committee? Most of the help that I’ve received with the strike and now, creating a “drivers union,” has been from medallion owners. Some medallion owners have said to me that they don’t have too many problems with Consumer Services, fleet owners or any other agency because they’re very careful to follow the rules set by the city to protect their investment. However, they support what I’m doing because they care about lease drivers.
So why should their involvement be limited when they’ve proven to be the most committed to bringing positive change to the industry?

The city hall incident occurred, which I assume everyone is familiar with. The day after that, Prateek and I went back to city hall to submit the petition for the fare increase. On the top of the petitions was a cover page that acknowledged everyone who had participated in getting signatures for the fare increase. Several “fleet owners” had petitions at their garages for drivers to sign. Prateek asked what I thought about taking the fleet owners names off of the cover page. I didn’t want to remove any names from the list of those who had helped.

Mistake 8 ABUSE OF POWER & AUTHORITY
Even if AFSC possesses misplaced, undeserved power and authority, it is wrong to discredit anyone who has acted in support of a good cause. I believe that credit should be given when credit is rightfully due.

After submitting the petition for the fare increase, Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell suggested several times that they inform the media that I submitted the petition for the fare increase. They pressured me to the point that I finally became very frustrated. With all of the chaos within those couple of days, it was not the right time to bring media attention into the taxi industry. Plus, I didn’t feel the need to say to the cameras “It was me, Melissa Callahan, that submitted the petition for the fare increase.”

Mistake 9 MISUSING MEDIA
By no means am I an expert when it comes to the media. However, in my opinion I believe that the media should be used to educate the public and gain public support for taxi drivers. It serves no good purpose to use the media to claim or gain credit.

WBBM News incorrectly reported that George Kasp had submitted the petition for the fare increase along with his proposed amendments. Mike McConnell and Prateek Sampat’s message to me was “You see, we should have gone to the media before Kasp & Lutfallah did. I guess we learned something for next time.” As Mike and Prateek spoke they looked at me with an expression on their faces of pity and an expression of “I told you so.”

Mistake 10 CONDESCENDENCE
AFSC needs to realize that a condescending approach is a serious mistake to make not only with me but, especially with other drivers who might not be as willing as I was to overlook it. Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell also need to understand that their knowledge is not above or better than everyone else’s knowledge and ideas.

THE ULTIMATE MISTAKE
From the very beginning, I was in the middle of a conflict that already existed between AFSC and George Lutfallah. I tried very hard to remain neutral and bring the two parties together. As the days passed, it became more and more stressful to be in the middle of this conflict when both parties had such strong, negative opinions of each other and wouldn’t budge an inch. While working with both AFSC and George Lutfallah, there were issues of confidentiality, trust and strategic views. I think the question of whether or not I could continue to remain neutral enough to honor both sides views was what concerned George Kasp & George Lutfallah . Those issues were a concern for AFSC, as well. I decided to disassociate myself from AFSC. I made this decision after having a discussion with George Kasp & George Lutfallah, in which they expressed their concerns and asked me to decide for myself what position I would take. I thought a lot about the conversation between the three of us. I realized that no matter how much effort I put forth, AFSC and George Lutfallah would probably never work together. I decided that it was definitely time to make a decision. Some of the factors that led up to my decision were that George Lutfallah and George Kasp have a long history of putting forth a tremendous amount of effort in improving working conditions for taxi drivers. The other factors that led up to my decision are the mistakes made by AFSC and their continued unwillingness to try to resolve the issues that they had with George Lutfallah.

AFSC couldn’t accept my decision. So, they attempted to destroy my reputation. They made this attempt by creating a double sided flier, plastered with lies about me on both sides. One side of the flier is about lease increases. It states the city’s position on a lease increase, it states Kasp & Lutfallah’s supposed position, AFSC’s position and lies about my position. They lied about me, stating on their flier: Melissa Callahan’s Position - Believes that companies deserve to charge higher leases because of the high cost of business. That was an outright lie. It was only a couple of days before that I had grabbed ordinances at City Hall that I thought would result in a lease increase and ran with them. I did that with one of the intentions being to prevent any lease increase and protecting lease drivers.

The opposite side of the flier is entitled AN URGENT LETTER TO ALL TAXI DRIVERS. AFSC states on the flier that they are writing the letter to alert drivers.
They go on to say that there are “a few people aligned with the largest and most powerful taxi lease companies who are trying to fool you into participating in an organization of drivers.” Who are these few people? George Kasp is not interested in creating or getting drivers involved in any organization. From the conversations that I’ve had with George Lutfallah, I believe that he thinks that it’s a good idea that drivers get organized. George Lutfallah does not have any role in efforts to organize at this point but, what if he did? What’s wrong with Mr. Lutfallah being an advocate for drivers? AFSC claims that he’s in with the “fleet owners” and that to work with George Lutfallah is a conflict of interest. If George Lutfallah’s interest is helping drivers and AFSC’s interest is helping drivers, where is the conflict?

From what I can see, George Lutfallah provides several valuable services to the industry. One service being his newspaper. The Chicago Dispatcher is a way for drivers to stay connected with what’s happening in the industry. Let’s think about it. If his newspaper didn’t exist, do you think that the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times would print information that is valuable specifically to taxi drivers and not of any interest to the general public? I don’t. I doubt that the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times would care about many of our problems, if any. It’s true, Mr. Lutfallah does receive money from the taxi companies, payment for advertisements. The taxi industry is fortunate enough to have this man with impressive credentials including a masters degree in business that has enables him to advocate on behalf of taxi drivers, a man who’s providing a very beneficial service to taxi drivers and he’s being bashed for it by AFSC. To me, this is outrageous.
If I’m missing something, someone please let me know. If you do have an opinion, I ask that you reply on this site. Be straight and allow George Lutfallah a fair chance to defend himself.

Let’s look at the friends wording again. “a few people aligned with the largest and most powerful taxi lease companies who are trying to fool you into participating in an organization of drivers.”

Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell know that my intentions are good. They know that I am not aligned with any taxi companies. They know that I’m not trying to trick any driver into anything. Knowing all of this they tried, but failed, to destroy my reputation.

It is very disturbing to me that while AFSC knows that I care deeply about the well being of taxi drivers, they tried to steer drivers away from an organization that I am creating that would benefit drivers. I consider that to be a direct threat to the drivers. If anyone would like to see these fliers, ask Prateek for one. I’m sure he has lots of them left because the drivers at O’Hare told Prateek to stop distributing them.

Drivers were outraged by the actions of AFSC. It didn’t stop there. AFSC not only attempted to damage George Kasp, George Lutfallah and my reputation but they did it by cutting out signatures of drivers from other forms and affixing them to the flier that lied about my position. I suppose Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell’s idea was to show that other drivers were in agreement with the slanderous content and they didn’t care if the drivers actually signed the flier. I received a call from one of the drivers who’s signature was on this flier, Ted Budzynski. Ted claims that he never signed that flier. He says that he signed something else. So, Prateek must have cut his signature off of whatever it was that Ted signed and affixed Ted’s signature to the flier. Now AFSC has not only resorted to unethical behavior but, they’ve committed fraud.

The drivers - the people who matter - know that my loyalty belongs to them and that I always have their best interest in mind. They know that I will work and fight as hard as I have to for them because they’ve seen it.

Replying to:

"A Friend of the Friends",

Again, interesting how you aren't proud enough to use your real name.

I am not your "Brother". Quit the condescension, "Bro".

I am not "terribly confused" about the AFSC. Nothing I say about them is meant to be "funny".

How is calling someone on their lies "taunting and fighting like a street gang youth"? That's a pathetic comment.

My Christian beliefs don't include this "Good Works" concept. Besides, what does religion have to do with this?

There isn't a single Quaker among current Chicago cabdrivers that I am aware of. Why are the Quakers so interested in foisting a lying, left-wing radical racist like Prateek Sampat upon our natural organizing activists and activities?

Nobody builds themselves up by tearing themselves down. I tear into lies and liars. I don't tolerate racists and racism.

I don't care if Prateek Sampat is from the AFSC, USC, AFL-CIO, or any other group. He is a snake among us and his employer is responsible for his being so.

I am going to re-post Melissa Callahan's AFSC post so you can get another opinion of the AFSC, Prateek Sampat, and his boss, Mike McConnell.

-Mike Foulks

Replying to:

About AFSC

AFSC Mission Statement

AFSC Values

AFSC Work

Respectfully,

Re: Re: Re: Sampat is the puppeteer of the CCO.

Greetings Brother Mike.

Do you have some kind of fetish about names? If you must know my name it is in fact "friend" in another language.

I take pride in many things in my life. Telling you my name or posting it on the internet is not on my "PROUD OF" list. God knows who I am, and that is the only one that matters.

For eveyone's edification, dear4 Brother Mike, why don't you post relavent documents, materials and statements that prove your accusations about the others.

You are very good at making noise about others. It remains to be seen if you can make a solid case.

2 documents about Prateek Sampat's racism and lies: (and AFSC manipulation)

2 documents about Prateek Sampat's racism and lies:

---------------------
Please note that the conference is intended for People of Color-
White-allies may visit our website or call us for activities they may
participate in during July 10th as well as ways in which they may
volunteer and contribute.

We encourage you to visit our website at
http://www.racialjustice911.org/mwnet/ and join our email list for
detailed information about all of the workshops, a downloadable
conference booklet, and up to date announcements regarding Still
We Rise: Midwest Conference for Racial Justice.

Feel free to call us at (773) 476-3534 x34 or email us at
rj911chicago@hotmail.com for any questions, comments, further
information, or if you would like to help out.

Peace,

Prateek Sampat, Midwest Regional Coordinator
Racial Justice 911 Chicago
6400 S. Kedzie Ave.
Chicago, IL 60629
(773) 476-3534 x 34
-----------------------------------------

Melissa Callahan documents the AFSC LIAR, Prateek Sampat.

(re-posted by Mike Foulks)
------------------------------------
Subject: AFSC
Name: Melissa Callahan
Date Posted: Oct 20, 07 - 10:38 PM
melissacci@yahoo.com
Message: This is a response to a couple of emails that I've received that question what the problem is between AFSC and me.

The second day into distributing the fliers calling for the strike, a driver approached me and gave me a business card from Prateek Sampat w/AFSC, who had been at O’Hare looking for me. I didn't know who Prateek was or why he was trying to reach me. The next morning, I called Prateek. He asked for me to come and meet with him to discuss the strike at Kabob Corner where he was also having another meeting with other drivers regarding lease cap violations. I attended their meeting with the other drivers and stayed afterward to meet with Prateek, Mike McConnell and a representative of the CIOCG. During their meeting regarding the lease cap issue, I listened to Prateek talk about how lease caps have been violated and I became angry at the thought that once again I, along with other taxi drivers had been taken advantage of. I agreed to bring my leases to AFSC. I agreed to nothing more than that. At the end of the meeting, Prateek and Mike McConnell said that they wanted to support the strike. At that point, I was three days into handing out fliers without very much help. Being completely exhausted, I very happily and gratefully accepted their offer to help.

Mistake 1 DISHONESTY
Prateek has been lying to anyone who will listen, saying that I sought him out and requested help from AFSC. How AFSC and I became involved is not a huge issue to me – it apparently is to them. My problem with this particular situation is that Prateek Sampat has proved to be a dishonest person.

The day before the strike, Prateek asked me to come into his office to prepare me for the press conference that AFSC had scheduled. George Lutfallah, whom I had met only a couple of days before, had also offered to help me with what he could. I decided to take George Lutfallah up on his offer to help me so, I called him and asked him to attend AFSC's meeting to prep me. He said that he couldn't make it but, Jonathan Bullington, Chicago Dispatcher’s Managing Editor, would be able to. I called Prateek to let him know that someone from the Chicago Dispatcher would be attending the meeting also. Prateek said okay and ten minutes later called me back to say that George and/or Jonathan were not allowed at the meeting. I insisted that Jonathan be there. My thoughts were that if I'm preparing for media questions, who better than to advise me than the media themselves? Prateek disagreed but reluctantly agreed to Jonathan being a part of the press-prep meeting.

Mistake 2 AUTHORITY?
This was a meeting for me. AFSC has no right to tell me who I can and cannot accept advice from.

The Chicago Dispatcher was never formally invited to the actual press conference and didn't receive a press packet like the other media. Why the complete disregard for the Chicago Dispatcher?

The day of the strike, after the press conference, I met with Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell, at their request, to "debrief." During this meeting, Prateek informed me that the next step after the strike was to start organizing drivers. I explained that I thought it was a good idea but, it was too big of a task for me. Mike McConnell and Prateek tried, unsuccessfully, for an hour to persuade me to take on this project while incorrectly implying that I had agreed to organize drivers in return for their support of the strike.

Mistake 3 IMPOSITION
AFSC thought they could impose on me and pressure me into what they thought “the next step was.” I will not be pushed into anything and I take great offense when people attempt to do so.

Mistake 4 MANIPULATION
AFSC tried to lay a guilt trip on me by basically sending the message: We supported you with the strike and now you’re abandoning your obligation to us. AFSC should’ve understood that these guilt trip attempts and manipulation tactics would be unsuccessful and very offensive.

Mistake 5 CONDITIONS
I do not accept help when something is expected in return. If you would like to offer help, offer it unconditionally. Otherwise, it is not a genuine offer in my opinion.

Feeling the tension between AFSC and George Lutfallah, after the Snakes in the Morning editorial came out and having a somewhat naïve “let’s all work together” attitude, I decided to call a meeting to bring all existing taxi associations and advocates together and mend fences between everyone. Some of the people who attended were Raja Khan, George Kasp, Johnny Holmes, Ted Budzynski, George Lutfallah and me. Let’s be clear. The meeting was specifically meant to bring peace between everyone but, especially George Lutfallah and Prateek Sampat, AFSC.

Mistake 6 COUNTERACTIVE
Prateek Sampat did not show up. George Lutfallah did. That showed me a lot about who is willing to work together and who was not.

AFSC held a meeting for drivers. I was told by driver, Zafar Bhatti, that drivers were confused and wanted to know whether or not it was a meeting that I had scheduled. Prateek called me the day of the meeting to ask if I was planning on attending. To eliminate any confusion and to address any drivers with questions, I attended. Only when the question of my involvement with AFSC was brought up by driver, Mike Foulks, did I speak on that subject. At some point during the discussion of this topic, Prateek stated that George Lutfallah is not allowed at any organizing meetings.

Mistake 7 DICTATORSHIP
That’s when I had heard enough. I told Prateek and the other drivers that his comment was exactly what George Lutfallah had a problem with, AFSC trying to control drivers. Who is Prateek or his boss to tell drivers how to run our meetings? Who is Prateek or his boss to say who can or cannot attend? Being cabdrivers does not mean that we’re stupid and are incapable of making our own decisions.
Some of the most intelligent people that I’ve come across are cab drivers and I’m so sorry that AFSC can’t appreciate our capabilities.

Weeks after that meeting, Prateek asked to meet with me. At this point, so many drivers expressed to me their need for a “union” and I had accepted the responsibility of creating what they envisioned. During this meeting, Prateek spoke about the funds that AFSC had available for drivers to start this organization. He also said that AFSC would be taking more of a “secretarial role” from that day on. He wrote down guidelines that the organization would have to meet in order to receive these funds. The guidelines are listed below in the exact wording from Prateek.

Organizing Committee (or similar)
• Should have majority lease drivers
• Also has some single medallion owners
• Is clearly independent of the city and large medallion/fleet owners
• Should include leaders from all communities or close with appropriate representation
• Should have a fair and democratic process

Should have majority lease drivers
I believe that the committee should be made up of whatever the drivers vote on, not what AFSC says. If the majority of drivers that choose to vote elect 30 committee members and the majority happens to be medallion owners, so be it. If the majority of votes are for candidates who are lease drivers, so be it. The ultimate decision of what the majority of the committee is made up of is THE DRIVERS’ DECISION.

Also has some single medallion owners
Why did Prateek use the word “single”? Is someone who owns two medallions a horrible person and does not deserve to be on the committee? Is it so wrong for someone to own two cabs, drive one and lease out the other? The man that I lease my cab from owns two medallions, is the sweetest little man ever and couldn’t hurt a fly. Should this man be considered a predator out to victimize lease drivers?
Why should drivers who own two or three medallions be excluded from the committee? Most of the help that I’ve received with the strike and now, creating a “drivers union,” has been from medallion owners. Some medallion owners have said to me that they don’t have too many problems with Consumer Services, fleet owners or any other agency because they’re very careful to follow the rules set by the city to protect their investment. However, they support what I’m doing because they care about lease drivers.
So why should their involvement be limited when they’ve proven to be the most committed to bringing positive change to the industry?

The city hall incident occurred, which I assume everyone is familiar with. The day after that, Prateek and I went back to city hall to submit the petition for the fare increase. On the top of the petitions was a cover page that acknowledged everyone who had participated in getting signatures for the fare increase. Several “fleet owners” had petitions at their garages for drivers to sign. Prateek asked what I thought about taking the fleet owners names off of the cover page. I didn’t want to remove any names from the list of those who had helped.

Mistake 8 ABUSE OF POWER & AUTHORITY
Even if AFSC possesses misplaced, undeserved power and authority, it is wrong to discredit anyone who has acted in support of a good cause. I believe that credit should be given when credit is rightfully due.

After submitting the petition for the fare increase, Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell suggested several times that they inform the media that I submitted the petition for the fare increase. They pressured me to the point that I finally became very frustrated. With all of the chaos within those couple of days, it was not the right time to bring media attention into the taxi industry. Plus, I didn’t feel the need to say to the cameras “It was me, Melissa Callahan, that submitted the petition for the fare increase.”

Mistake 9 MISUSING MEDIA
By no means am I an expert when it comes to the media. However, in my opinion I believe that the media should be used to educate the public and gain public support for taxi drivers. It serves no good purpose to use the media to claim or gain credit.

WBBM News incorrectly reported that George Kasp had submitted the petition for the fare increase along with his proposed amendments. Mike McConnell and Prateek Sampat’s message to me was “You see, we should have gone to the media before Kasp & Lutfallah did. I guess we learned something for next time.” As Mike and Prateek spoke they looked at me with an expression on their faces of pity and an expression of “I told you so.”

Mistake 10 CONDESCENDENCE
AFSC needs to realize that a condescending approach is a serious mistake to make not only with me but, especially with other drivers who might not be as willing as I was to overlook it. Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell also need to understand that their knowledge is not above or better than everyone else’s knowledge and ideas.

THE ULTIMATE MISTAKE
From the very beginning, I was in the middle of a conflict that already existed between AFSC and George Lutfallah. I tried very hard to remain neutral and bring the two parties together. As the days passed, it became more and more stressful to be in the middle of this conflict when both parties had such strong, negative opinions of each other and wouldn’t budge an inch. While working with both AFSC and George Lutfallah, there were issues of confidentiality, trust and strategic views. I think the question of whether or not I could continue to remain neutral enough to honor both sides views was what concerned George Kasp & George Lutfallah . Those issues were a concern for AFSC, as well. I decided to disassociate myself from AFSC. I made this decision after having a discussion with George Kasp & George Lutfallah, in which they expressed their concerns and asked me to decide for myself what position I would take. I thought a lot about the conversation between the three of us. I realized that no matter how much effort I put forth, AFSC and George Lutfallah would probably never work together. I decided that it was definitely time to make a decision. Some of the factors that led up to my decision were that George Lutfallah and George Kasp have a long history of putting forth a tremendous amount of effort in improving working conditions for taxi drivers. The other factors that led up to my decision are the mistakes made by AFSC and their continued unwillingness to try to resolve the issues that they had with George Lutfallah.

AFSC couldn’t accept my decision. So, they attempted to destroy my reputation. They made this attempt by creating a double sided flier, plastered with lies about me on both sides. One side of the flier is about lease increases. It states the city’s position on a lease increase, it states Kasp & Lutfallah’s supposed position, AFSC’s position and lies about my position. They lied about me, stating on their flier: Melissa Callahan’s Position - Believes that companies deserve to charge higher leases because of the high cost of business. That was an outright lie. It was only a couple of days before that I had grabbed ordinances at City Hall that I thought would result in a lease increase and ran with them. I did that with one of the intentions being to prevent any lease increase and protecting lease drivers.

The opposite side of the flier is entitled AN URGENT LETTER TO ALL TAXI DRIVERS. AFSC states on the flier that they are writing the letter to alert drivers.
They go on to say that there are “a few people aligned with the largest and most powerful taxi lease companies who are trying to fool you into participating in an organization of drivers.” Who are these few people? George Kasp is not interested in creating or getting drivers involved in any organization. From the conversations that I’ve had with George Lutfallah, I believe that he thinks that it’s a good idea that drivers get organized. George Lutfallah does not have any role in efforts to organize at this point but, what if he did? What’s wrong with Mr. Lutfallah being an advocate for drivers? AFSC claims that he’s in with the “fleet owners” and that to work with George Lutfallah is a conflict of interest. If George Lutfallah’s interest is helping drivers and AFSC’s interest is helping drivers, where is the conflict?

From what I can see, George Lutfallah provides several valuable services to the industry. One service being his newspaper. The Chicago Dispatcher is a way for drivers to stay connected with what’s happening in the industry. Let’s think about it. If his newspaper didn’t exist, do you think that the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times would print information that is valuable specifically to taxi drivers and not of any interest to the general public? I don’t. I doubt that the Chicago Tribune or Sun Times would care about many of our problems, if any. It’s true, Mr. Lutfallah does receive money from the taxi companies, payment for advertisements. The taxi industry is fortunate enough to have this man with impressive credentials including a masters degree in business that has enables him to advocate on behalf of taxi drivers, a man who’s providing a very beneficial service to taxi drivers and he’s being bashed for it by AFSC. To me, this is outrageous.
If I’m missing something, someone please let me know. If you do have an opinion, I ask that you reply on this site. Be straight and allow George Lutfallah a fair chance to defend himself.

Let’s look at the friends wording again. “a few people aligned with the largest and most powerful taxi lease companies who are trying to fool you into participating in an organization of drivers.”

Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell know that my intentions are good. They know that I am not aligned with any taxi companies. They know that I’m not trying to trick any driver into anything. Knowing all of this they tried, but failed, to destroy my reputation.

It is very disturbing to me that while AFSC knows that I care deeply about the well being of taxi drivers, they tried to steer drivers away from an organization that I am creating that would benefit drivers. I consider that to be a direct threat to the drivers. If anyone would like to see these fliers, ask Prateek for one. I’m sure he has lots of them left because the drivers at O’Hare told Prateek to stop distributing them.

Drivers were outraged by the actions of AFSC. It didn’t stop there. AFSC not only attempted to damage George Kasp, George Lutfallah and my reputation but they did it by cutting out signatures of drivers from other forms and affixing them to the flier that lied about my position. I suppose Prateek Sampat and Mike McConnell’s idea was to show that other drivers were in agreement with the slanderous content and they didn’t care if the drivers actually signed the flier. I received a call from one of the drivers who’s signature was on this flier, Ted Budzynski. Ted claims that he never signed that flier. He says that he signed something else. So, Prateek must have cut his signature off of whatever it was that Ted signed and affixed Ted’s signature to the flier. Now AFSC has not only resorted to unethical behavior but, they’ve committed fraud.

The drivers - the people who matter - know that my loyalty belongs to them and that I always have their best interest in mind. They know that I will work and fight as hard as I have to for them because they’ve seen it.
--------------------------------

THE UTCC IS A PUPPET OF THE AFSC - Mike Foulks

Replying to:

Greetings Brother Mike.

Do you have some kind of fetish about names? If you must know my name it is in fact "friend" in another language.

I take pride in many things in my life. Telling you my name or posting it on the internet is not on my "PROUD OF" list. God knows who I am, and that is the only one that matters.

For eveyone's edification, dear4 Brother Mike, why don't you post relavent documents, materials and statements that prove your accusations about the others.

You are very good at making noise about others. It remains to be seen if you can make a solid case.

Re: 2 documents that prove nothing but the a lame-brain's fantasies

What is going on here?

Do these documents prove Prateek is a racist and liar?

Perhaps to someone who has a reasoning deficit with emotional problems that see spirits and ghosts and hears things that go bump in the night.

No wonder this guy believes he was wrongfully convicted. He can't make heads or tails out of his world.

Another thought. Who really wrote Ms. Callahan's long and windy denouncement thinly disguised as some sort of confession of errors?

It just doesn't have that woman's voice. That person who I have met and spoken to several times seems a lot different from the person who would write out.

Doesn't this seem like the same kind of word-play trickery both Lutfallah and Foulks pull regularly?

This is totally irresponsible.

Re: Re: 1300 DRIVERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

We should be on strike for couple of days. Until, Daley and city hall. Gives us are 25% fair increase and get's rid of the credit card law that sucks. Lets strike the whole dam week. If, we have to beat the raise into Daley and city hall butts

Re: Re: Re: 1300 DRIVERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Joey, too many rely on credit/debit these days. What do I hate more, paying the 5% or ending up with no change and all 20's since the cash machine doesn't give small bills.

I understand and gladly accept the credit cards on airport runs. Just wish the city put in a 10.00 minimum. Many vendors do this. In fact lets submit a revised petition with this included. When's the meeting?

I also repeat my nomination of Wolfgang Weiss, Ted Budynski and Steve Weidersberg for CCO. Mike can stay in the "stall"