General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reader Opinions

From the Chicago Dispatcher, November 2008

Reader Opinions

A message to Chicago cabdrivers:

As we all know, Tuesday, November 4, is Election Day, probably one of the most important elections that have ever been contested in the history of the United States. It is wonderful to be hung up in the euphoria of Barack Obama, and I'm not saying that we shouldn't support him because I believe it is imperative that we do so. But let us not forget that there are many, many other races that affect your life more so than the President of the United States.

These races include the Cook County State's Attorney, which is crucial to your day-to-day living. You may never come in contact with the President of the United States, but somehow, someway, someday, you will come in contact with the State's Attorney's Office or the number of judicial candidates on the ballot, whether it be in criminal court or civil court. Please, please, do not forget these people when you vote.

Also, you should not get hung up on party affiliations. All Democrats aren't good and all Republicans aren't bad.

Take Tony Peraica, Republican candidate for State's Attorney, who has stood up for us and is supportive of our cause. I urge cabdrivers very strongly not to punch straight ticket but to vote for the person who supports you and has your best interests in heart. Anita Alvarez, Dick Devine and Mayor Daley are all part of the same political machine. Their motto is all for one and none for all. We have tried on several different occasions to enforce the aggravated battery law that I got passed in Springfield. We've tried to arrange meetings with Alvarez on several different occasions, but our requests have fallen on deaf ears. Her arrogance and her refusal to acknowledge us show she does not deserve our support.

Therefore on Election Day, I reiterate that you go to the polls and show your support for Tony Peraica. It is true that he may not win, but this is not about winning and losing, it's about making a statement, about standing up for someone willing to stand up for you. Again, please make sure you vote and make sure you support Tony Peraica for Cook County State's Attorney. Thank you.

– Steve Wiedersberg

Re: Reader Opinions

if tony peraica is with us then we need to be with him. he has my vote. violence against taxi drivers needs to be taken more seriously by the law.