General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"We're Not Striking"

AFSC rejected again by Chicago's taxi drivers

“We’re Not Striking”
Chicago’s Taxi Driver Community Rejects Strike, Denounces Strike Organizers

“Chicago Taxi Drivers Union (CTDU) board members have met with Commissioner Norma Reyes of the Department of Consumer Services to discuss and negotiate specific issues that are important to Chicago taxi drivers. Drivers, don’t be fooled by strike organizers who are just trying to get attention for themselves. The commissioner is listening to us!”
- Kobe Williams, integral and active participant in union development

“We are in a period of declining prices where consumers are making efforts to cut their expenses. There are alternatives to taxicab transportation. Asking for a fare increase now might not be a wise decision. Demanding one by threatening our customers certainly isn’t.”
- George Lutfallah, Publisher, Chicago Dispatcher

“Commissioner Reyes has already promised that a fare increase is in the works for springtime. A cabdriver strike is being plotted by a little community of political agitators who are frustrated at their inability to successfully organize taxi drivers. My fellow drivers, a fare increase is supposed to happen this spring. Don’t be foolish in helping to ruin what’s already coming to us!”
- George Kasp, lead driver of meter increase of 2005

“The vast majority of taxi drivers are reasonable people and understand the current economic crisis that we’re all facing. Now is not the time to place more financial pressure on the public by increasing the meter rate. A small group of radicals representing a tiny percentage of cabdrivers will not be able to successfully stage a strike.”
- Melissa Callahan, Chicago taxi driver, strike organizer 2007

“We as independent operators have the right to reject or accept a strike. The people who called the strike did not call anyone except for a handful of people. I think it would be ludicrous to call a strike. They don’t have a good reason to strike anyway.”
- Johnny O. Holmes, President, Taxi Brotherhood

“The dangerous thing every person MUST avoid is to relegate yourself into disrespect before you sit around the table to talk to anyone. To go out there and sing slogans to the public before sitting down to talk is to reduce ourselves into disrespectfulness. Already remember, most of us, by where we came from and by what we do, give negative perceptions. We do not need to exacerbate these by stooping so much lower than what is perceived of us. It is some people's culture to activate violence before they are being heard, at least in some countries. But my fellow drivers, this is Chicago. Let us agree to sit and talk than the course of STRIKE, which would make it worse for us.”
- John Henry Assabill, President, Ghanaian Cabdrivers Association

“These people say ‘Hike or Strike.’ We believe in legislation before demonstration. Why not talk instead of walk? They’re putting the cart before the horse. A strike is a last-ditch effort. They’re leading you to Jim Jones’ Kool Aid instead of helping you. They’re false prophets. You’re either a help or a hindrance. These people are a hindrance.”
- Steve Wiedersberg, Leader of strike of 2001

REYES is wrong

George, I have asked you before, instead of just telling us what REYES wants us to do or wants us to hear, you can also tell her our concerns and those are, fare increase, end to this unfair credit card rules, end to new medallion sales and new drivers.

Let's join strike

I am going to strike! we had enough of mistreatment from Reyes.

Strike for our rights!

Goerge sounds very supportive of this city's unfair treatment and policy of drivers.
He is such a nonsense!

I'm not striking

the city already plans to give us a fare increase like george said. they are meeting with drivers and talking about issues. there is no need to strike.

More money for me!

Yes drivers. Go on strike. I'm gonna work and take all your fares. hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: More money for me!

You are an ignorant, fools like you cause set back in an organized community. If our fore-fathers didn't stand up to fight for their rights, you won't be enjoying what was supposed to be the fruit of their labor. So how much were you able to make on sunday? As if the $1000 will be enough to solve your problem..retards make me sick to my stomach..yuck!!!