General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Taxicab Safety Attn. George L.

"I would imagine that the rates would be..."

Your postulation, rooted in your imagination, is similar to the assertion... by Dr. Stone that partitions are INTUITIVELY EFFECTIVE.

I can only interpret such GUESSES about taxi partition use viability are based in nothing more than WISHFUL THINKING. In other words; "We EXPECT them to work... so they probably DO."

What a load of crap.

Taxi partition use mandates only serve the regulator... in that they create an illusion of protection, much like 'restraining orders' from a judge.

Regulators need to APPEAR to be addressing the 'cab driver murder' issue. Taxi partition installation mandates DO THAT... very well.

A partition, in a taxi, merely indicates that the prospective victim is at least AWARE that there is a risk, but in no way discourages or prevents an attack. The INDICATION is a false one. Most drivers don't want or like partitions.

Partitions not only mutilate and kill occupants in collisions... they inspire the formerly knife wielding assailant to upgrade... to using a gun, instead of a knife.
This explains why murder rates increase... with partition use mandates.
The major claim of 'victory' used by partition use proponents is; "Assaults and robberies decline with partition use mandates."

What they include in the studies... is the radical increase in murder rates... but that little factoid is well concealed and effectively soft-pedalled in the editorial content of the studies... unless one IS LOOKING FOR IT.

SWC

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

A well informed driver, wow. Good information sir. It seem that San Francisco decided that cameras were not effective. We're 60 times more likely to be murdered on the job than in other occupations yet George advocates removing the partitions from Chicago taxi cabs.

I already have a wife George. Find you own out of the cab and lets put this to rest once and for all. No one likes a seat belt either. A partition is like a seat belt to a cab driver in a big city.

When was the last time a Chicago MEDALLION taxi driver was murdered in his/her taxi? What was the murder rate in the non partition years? I would imagine that the rates would be similiar to accidents involving an ejection from a vehicle while using a seat belt or not wearing one.