Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

I wouldnt go near a DVLA office until you know they are simpathetic. Phone first, speak to the person responsible for registration.
I had the same problem with my TC and I have loads of information and competition results for the car from the 80s and 90s (it is the car on the cover of the March 2007 Changing Gear). It also has had the private reg ****NG since 1984 but that wasnt enough for some jobsworths to offer positive information over the phone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Thanks Mel,I really want it registered correctly but if this is not possible without SVA what problems am I likely to encounter with the registration as it is?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

From what I was told at the time as the MGB no longer existed the logbook should be returned and the registration number would be lost. Someone may know better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

No thats wrong as the logbook refers to the donor vehicle from which major parts for the NG was taken.

If you send that back you are going to be in BIG trouble and could end up with a Q plate as you have no proof of identity for the parts used.

Give this chap a ring, Paul Jepson 01189842303
He provides a service for people wanting registration/SVA and used to work for DVLA at Reading.
He charges £35 for all the paperwork, and no I have no connection with him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Thanks tony, will give him a call

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Hi again.

Do you know the actual year the car was built? Ie: how many MOTs it could have had as an NG? Do you know who owned it from first build, where they lived and WHERE THEY HAD THE CAR MOT'd?!!

That would be one of my first ports of call - contact the garage and ask if they remember the car!

A long shot would be that they actual even took a photo of the car for their 'wall' - I've certainly seen that done especially with smaller 'family' owned garages where they are genuinely interested in what they do, and love to show off the cars they've worked on!

A long shot, I know...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Thanks Donnie, another avenue to explore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Hi

I was in a similar position to you approx 3 years ago. I contacted the garage where the car was MOT'd as an MG with a photograph of the car and copies of the old MOTs and asked if anyone there could remember MOT'ing the car and could match it to the photographs. The mechanic who MOT'd the car countersigned the photographs saying the MOT he had issued was for the NG. I also requested a Trace on the reg no from the DVLA (about £5 at the time),and proceeded to trace previous owners. I was lucky on my second attempt as I had noticed that there was an amendment on the car details from 2 seater MG roadster to 4 seater MG roadster. I managed to trace the then owner via the BT directory. He confirmed that he had built the car and that the car had been driven on the road prior to 1998. I also collected other evidence, including a letter from John Hoyle. All minor points, but it helped to build the overall case. Most importantly The DVLA representative who dealt with my case was extremely understanding and also very interested in my car. It took approx 4 months in total, but the end result was worth it.
Good Luck! - John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Registration

Thanks John this is a big help