Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: V8 conversion on TF

Nope, but I did convert my TC going my own way and using it competitively in hillclimb and sprints. I used to regularly compete against a factory built NGTCR and never got beat, so must have got something right.

PS my NG is on the cover of the March 2007 Changing Gear.
If you are reasonably mechanically competent is isn't a difficult conversion.

It looks a great car Mel. Do you need to change the back axle & prop shaft?

David Frost
Do you need to change the back axle & prop shaft?

only prop shaft.

I've had a v8 for 13 years - the main problem that seems to crop up regularly with all v8 kit cars is cooling issues. NG is no exception due to the small area for the radiator.

As for installation - straight forward - however I just put mine back in after a gearbox overhaul and I forgot that the remote housing on the LT77 box is wider than the tunnel. I had modified the tunnel when I built it but forgot how I did it. I managed to get the box stuck and to make it worse I also got it stuck on the exhaust manifold as I pulled it out again.

Keith

David Frost
It looks a great car Mel. Do you need to change the back axle & prop shaft?

Sorry, missed this, no notification of reply.
My reply is the same as Keith's. If I remember correctly I cut the rover prop shaft down and welded the B shaft yolk, axle end to it. If your careful balancing is not required. The standard axle proved up to the job. I did snap the pinion pin once leaving the start line, but how many times do you do racing starts on the road?
I found modifying the standard SD1 engine mounts the simplest and best way to mount the engine and run standard position SU's under the bonnet (I did consider modifying the dashpots but found it unnecessary). No extra restraint was needed to stop any engine movement and remember this car was used in anger.
Cooling was taken care of by a Mini rad at the front
and yes, on the road it kept the NG cool when posing.

I overcame the problem of converting the heat produced by 200+HP used in anger by fitting a Citroen CX radiator with twin cev marchall fans fitted in the boot blasting out under the floor controlled by a thermostat.
I would be more than happy to find out how other V8 owners find their more modern cooling systems work as I'm hoping to put mine back on the road without the race mods. My addy is.
mel.clark@blueyonder.co.uk

A link to the simple modification of engine mounts.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/NG%20projects/SD1Mounts1.jpg

I'm surprised no V8 owners are prepared to help me out with regard to the cooling system.

From your previous replies it sounds like you already have a good knowledge of how to keep the v8 cool.
I've just got a standard set up but I have recently altered pipework to the expansion tank, I have a weber and offy manifold and it seems to suffer air locks easily during initial warm up, expecially with the heater connected as it is higher than the engine.

Keith

Thanks Keith. After re reading my post I didn't make it plain.
My intention is to do away with the two rads and liberate the 'boot', so the question I meant to ask was how V8 owners found there cooling system coped. I put my email address on to so any problems (that do arise with different configurations)could be covered in private.
Regards Mel.

The standard setup I have copes ok. but the temp does creep up on long runs. Improvements I think will help are:
Try to arrange the rad and fan such that the fan is behind the rad rather than in front. This was the recommended approach by a guy at kenlow (or whatever my fan make is!). The fan in front causes a lot of disruption to air flow. Basically the fan is only affective at low speed (say under 30mph) but is more of an air block at high speeds.
Another thing is I have a standard MGB axle it would be better to have a lower (?) ratio axle so that the revs are less at motorway speeds. Although it is a 5 speed box I rarely use 1st gear.
An oil cooler may help as well although I think they have less affect that imagined but at that stage any improvement is worth it.

Thanks for that Keith.
As for gearing, if you do lots of motorway speed cruising it makes sense to raise the gearing. Depending on what aspect ratio tyres your running it maybe possible to fit taller tyres to cut the revs.