Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: V8 overheating wows

Mel
Nigel Brooks

We took a 3.9 to Spain and it kept boiling. I solved the problem with a Range Rover header bottle. Catch the gas, separate it from the water, let the gas out and send the water back to the cooling system. Worked a treatfor next years rally to Rome.

Also I had a 3.5 with no apparent problem at all by way of head cracks, but replacement heads and the header tank did the trick.

Hope his helps.

Nigel Brooks
Findhorn Cars
01730 823647

Very interesting, could the 'gas' be localised boiling of the coolant that the tank removed without solving the problem?

Help us out here Nigel, where did you find the problem?
|It looks from your posts that the header tank position removed 'gas' from the system and would help in saving the heads as the 3.5 was ok after. Info please, please..............please.

Looks like our request for help has been overlooked Keith, a pity as the cooling system on a high power car with minimal frontal area to remove heat needs all the input we can get to understand it, make it work efficiently and possibly improve it..
Regards Mel.

Mel
Looks like our request for help has been overlooked Keith, a pity as the cooling system on a high power car with minimal frontal area to remove heat needs all the input we can get to understand it, make it work efficiently and possibly improve it..
Regards Mel.

Hi Mel

The V8 cooling is generally a troublesome area. I've heard so many "interesting" methods to "improve" or "fix" it.
I think the actual way it works is missunderstood - I once found a website that described how the flows actually go round the system. Not sure if I can locate it again, but it was quite good.

The problem seems to be that lots of so called fixes are made to try and correct either a fault that itself should be fixed, or some fixes just try and cure a bad installation.
For my fault, I'm not going to change the cooling system or add odd ideas to catch bubbles of air. The cooling has worked for 10 years plus so it's not suddenly become a bad installation that needs additional parts added.

One thing that does hinder the cooling is the fan on the front of the rad. A long time ago I spoke to Kenlow and they said that the fan is best on the back of the rad (sucking air through) as the fan on the front causes a lot of disruption to the air flow and above about 30mph actually is not effective, I guess the air pressure of the car moving is more than the fan at higher speeds.

The other thing I tried was "wetter water" but the effect was minimal.

I've not advanced on the heads much due to other stuff but so far nothing looks broken. I'll keep you posted.

Keith