Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overheating

Hi
My Ford 4 cyl engine (circa '92 has an overheating problem.
I have checked waterpump, thermostat, but engine is running too hot.
Any suggestions? I'm guessing airlock on the radiator, but not sure how to release it.
Thanks
B

Re: Overheating

The way i used to get rid of a airlock was to disconnect top hose from rad and block the rad with a rag . Then top up hose and at the same time squeeze the hose at the bottom of the rad . You should see the water level drop at the top hose as you squeeze the bottom . Once the level at the top hose stays the same then top it up and remove rag from rad and quickly reattach hose . Obviously make sure engine is switched off when doing this . Hope this helps

Tks I'll give it a try

Hi Brian, Is this a problem that has just started or has it always done this? This would define strategy to fix the problem.
If it has always done this then you need to re-assess the setup you have. For example is the radiator big enough? My car (1800 twin carb & Marina radiator) was always marginal on cooling and traffic frightened the life out of me all the time. So I fitted a different radiator which increased the water volume in the system and cured the problem.
If your problem has just started then the problem could be different. Has the system silted up with crud? A back flush with a hose could cure this. Do you have a leek anywhere which prevents the system pressurising properly? Are the hoses in good order?, sometimes when hoses start to break down the flow is restricted. An airlock could be a problem. Have you tried filling the system when the car is on ramps as this can sometimes eleminate airlocks.

I hope this helps, please keep us updated on progress.

Regards

Paul

Back to my overheating concerns (Novella's overheating, my concerns)
How hot should a Ford 4 cyl engine run?
She seems quite happy with the temp gauge close to the right hand edge of the gauge, radiator feels warm all over
Ideas?
B