Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HIF carburettors

Hi All, I require some help from the collective knowledge of the owners club with regard to a single 1 3/4" HIF carburettor on a 1.7 'O' series engine.

The background is that the car(Marlin) has been laid up for about 8 years and was recomissioned by someone else(wears a mask, stetson, leather boots and spurs!!!) before arriving back in my village. Basically the owner knows nothing about cars and has been stitched up and has been taken advantage of though his lack of car knowledge/good nature. It's a long sad story.....!!!!

We have done a strip, inspection and clean of the carb. All seems to be in order and on re-fitting, the engine runs fine at tick-over speeds and a few revs while static in the garage. However, once the car moves petrol pours out of the overflow port on the back of the carb (all over the exhaust pipes - arrgh, scary or wot!!).

The cut-off needle valve operated by the float seemed suspect and has been replaced with a brand new one but the same effect. We took a gasket out of the fuel pump to try and reduce the fuel flow but again no change.

Any set-up information for the fuel pump in the Haynes manuals I have is pretty sparse.

Does anyone have information on how to set the fuel pump up or know where to get some set-up info for the fuel pump on the 'O' series?? Is there any simple things that cause flooding on the HIF carb setup??

I have a reasonable knowledge of the 'B' series engine and set-up but my knowledge of the foibles of the 'O' series are sadly lacking so any ideas or suggestions gratefully received......

Regards

Paul