Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tracking Electrical Problems

Hi
I have a problem with NiGella's sidelights - front and rear, they have stopped working. They worked fine when the loom was installed by a guy in Coventry, bit of a mission to take it back to him for diagnostics and repair
Headlights work, indicators work, rear fog light works, brake lights work.
I've visually and 'finger pressure' checked for loose wires and connectors in the loom behind the dashboard (what a mess of wires)
All fuses are good. Get switched (by the side/main switch) 12v up to 2 of the fuses but can't track the loom beyond the fuse.
Relay connections look sound (again visual only) but I don't know what the relays switch so I can't isolate one to see if its faulty
No 12v arrives at the lights
I have not got a wiring diagram/wire colour reference only the standard Ford Sierra wiring diagrams - not much use
Any suggestions as to how I can trace the problem or if there's someone local to North London who might take on a task like this?

Thanks
Brian

Re: Tracking Electrical Problems

Brian, I am no means an expert on electrical matters but I am prepared to try and help. If everything is working except the side lights I would be tempted to look at the switch first. If you have power to the switch then work back from the lights to find the break. If you have no power to the switch then you have to trace where it is fed from. I hope this helps but I am sure those more electrically knowledgeable will be able to help more.

Regards

Paul

Hmmm I'd thought that switched power to the fuses implied that the switch was working. Guess I just keep looking for volts drop. I may focus on relay function next and take the switch out of the circuit by means of jumpers, not easy
Thanks
B

Hello Brian, sorry to hear that you have been having sidelight problems.
Have you now got these fixed ?
Let me know if not and I will offer you some hints
regards Chris

Hi
Thanks for offer of help. I'm still struggling.
Seems to me it must be a wire broken or loose, relay or switch faulty. I'm discounting earth fault as all 4 lights are out and they're desperately earthed.
It's made harder by not having a colour coded wiring diagram
Any tips appreciated
Thanks
B

Re: Tracking Electrical Problems Solved

So it was a loose wire at the fuse box. Hard to get at as its under the scuttle and I had to do a head first into the foot well. But the major point learned was to start bat the lights and work backwards up stream following the loom.
So thanks for your replies.
And now for my new thread
Cheers
B

Hello Brian - sorry that I had not got round to sentding you any 'tips' as intended but glad to hear that you have solved the problem.
Problem solving Auto- electrics can be a bit of a 'pain' - not unlike the Blind man in a coal cellar at midnight trying to find a black cat that isn't there !!!
regards - Chris

Yeh upside down in the foot well trying to track down a loosely with a leg in plaster, not good.
For reference a top tip from a mechanic mate is to start at the down stream end ie earth for lights and work back upstream don't try and follow wiring up and down from column switch
Sorted for the time being
Thanks
B