Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motor Rail

Hi,
I was thinking about a European trip in the TA this year. Italy and the Stelvio perhaps. But as I only have a week there would not be much time down there to play as the drive from Aberaeron to Italy takes so long. To try and reduce the drive down time I was looking at motor rail services from the Netherlands or Germany as they do services to northern Italy amongst others. Do any members have any experience of motor rail? How do NG's hoods and windscreens cope with European train speeds. Any thought would be welcome.

Cheers
Jeremy

Re: Motor Rail

Jeremy,

I have driven from Birmingham to Metz (France) in a fairly gentle day, then Metz to Hochgurgl (Austria) which is on the Italian border (The Timmelsjoch Pass) the next day, I drove from Hochgurgl to Venice, walked around and back in a day, then Hochgurgl to Reims in another day and back to Birmingham in a day. This was in November 2012 with snow on the ground.

I realise that is five days there and back, but I think I could do it three days to Venice and back in Summer and with longer days, we started at no earlier than 9:00am as the other guy didn't 'do' mornings ! - Crossing the Fernpass into Austria in the dark soon convinced him an earlier start would have been better !

That was two people driving in two cars - i.e. one per car, so no time off and the company was paying for the overnight, I am considering a 'mountain pass' run in the summer (subject to fitting a V8 in my NG - doesn't currently have an engine.) and I think if I was to take a full week - i.e. Saturday to following Sunday that would give nine days and the travel time wouldn't be too much of a loss.

Malc

Wow that was some trip. Must have covered the ground quite quickly. Not sure the TA would deliver that, whilst not slow it has its comfortable speed. It would also be nice to stop off for local treats too which would also slow us down. I did Calais to Reimes once and Calais to Pontarlier another time in classic Minis. I figured if driving It would take three days to get to the Stelvio and therefore three days to get back with only one remaining for exploring the alpine roads.

When I have done long trips in Europe before I have enjoyed the return trip more than the outward. The motor rail idea was also in part to address that. In effect the whole of the drive (the bit to Germany aside) being a homeward journey.

Does this make sense?

Cheers
Jeremy

I stuck fairly close to the speed limits, even in Germany I only bumped it up to 100mph.

I can see your thinking, it is a long way and I think seven days would require a 'push on' attitude, whereas nine days would make it nicer trip.

Malc

Thanks Malc,
I think 100mph is beyond the TA!

You are confirming my view that I need to use the motor rail. Just worried that it will get there but have its roof and windscreen ripped off due to the speed of the train!

Should I put the tonneau on and fold the windscreen down or won't this help?

Cheers
Jeremy

I don't have a TA so I'm not sure how fast the screen and hood will stand, I suppose you could look it the other way around - what's the worst that could happen if you put the screen down and left the hood and tonneau off ?

In my case the answer would be - it would get wet inside.

I'm guessing you already found this http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

From looking around the site it claims Dusseldorf to Innsbruck is 14 hours on the train, whereas Bing Maps reckon on 446 miles taking 6.25 hours on the road.

Taking averages the car averages 70mph, the train is half that, clearly they don't take the same route, but is does imply the train is going slower than the car, but there are loads of contact details and maps on the site someone must be able to tell you how fast the max speed of the train is - when they do can you post the details - I hand't even considered going by train - it does look more relaxing.

Malc

EDIT - 545.5 euros return even using a DB Autozug special price - that's Dusseldorf to Innsbruck, I'll be driving !

The TA is good for 85mph in bursts but not all day. It cruises at 60-65 mph quite comfortably.

Thanks for the web link looks like it could provide the answers.

As you say the speed might be quite slow so nothing to worry about.

The price might be a stumbling block though quite a bit more than a hotel and a tank of fuel!

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

A few years ago I considered this option of motor rail and subsequently found out the service from London was now Calais to Nice (I think) and acquired info from the www however, the front page showed a grey hair old boy like me with a (young) blonde along side him in an open top Saab hence I looked into it. The cost then; 3-4 years ago was £750 return and the £100 (special price they told me) to get to Calais!
The do's and don'ts in the terms and conditions said they don't take open top cars! Um open top Saab on the cover!! plus the £850! hence never took there offer up.

Cheers Mick,

And yes I would like to do the Italian run.