Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unleaded fuel

Has anyone used one of these intank additives? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350636825870&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en I presently use a Millers VSP additive, which is quite pricey

Dave

Re: Unleaded fuel

Hi Dave,

The petrol additive I use is Castrol Valvemaster Plus, which I believe is ok on a Standard B series engine. Not sure what I would use with a "hotter" engine.

Regards Rob.

I have a Austin Healey Sprite with an original head in it and it runs just fine on unleaded - with no additive.

Malc

Hi,

I've run my 1.8 Marina TC engined car with only occasional additive since 1994 without any problems.

Regards

Paul

Likewise I don't use anything in the NG and have never used anything in any of my vintage or classic cars some of which have been daily drivers. Never had any issues with pre ignition and never needed to replace any valve seats.

With all the talk about corrosive fuels though I wonder if something is needed to protect fuel tanks and fuel lines or whether its just a question of replacing with plastic at some point?

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I don't think the newer fuels will attack steel petrol tanks but might have an affect on rubber seals etc.

Where I have had a problem is when I filled up with the high octane fuel and this dislodged a flake of crud from the original fuel in the carb float bowl inlet. Bit of a nightmare to resolve this one that prevented a trip but at least didn't break down on route. What made it difficult to resolve was the car would run normally but would cough & splutter in exactly the same place on one particular route I take. Turn around and head for home, she would run normally again!!! I investigated the whole system from tank forward and found a flake of crud in the float bowl inlet that looked like the calcium flakes you get in a kettle but half round pipe shaped. I can only assume this is a residue from the older type fuels and the newer type flushed it out...

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul
My understanding was that the ethanol content increase caused the petrol to take on water. This in turn causes corrosion particularly when cars are left standing with fuel in them. In addition the fuel is corrosive towards non-ferrous materials like copper and brass. Presumably carburettor castings as well.

There is quite a bit of concern in vintage car circles. Will this see us all convert our cars to modern fuel injected engines with plastic fuel lines and tanks? Mazda MX5's better watch out!!!

Cheers
Jeremy