Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NG TA Extended shackes

Hi,

Can anybody help me.

I'm looking for a set of rear spring extended shackles so that I can increase the ride height of the rear of the car.

Cheers

Mark

Re: NG TA Extended shackes

I'd have thought you could just make them out of thick steel plate - but I dread to think how the car would go around corners.

Why do you want to jack it up and by how much ?

Malc

Hi I have a NG TA,

Not sure why you would want to do this, if it is a ground clearance problem, then think about wheel tyre combo, possible relocation of exhaust or perhaps, changing the suspension set-up.

Hopefully food for thought. Regards Rob G.

The reason I want to increase the height of the back is that it keeps hitting the wheel arches when the family goes for a ride, 2 adults and 2 children.

I do have taller wire wheels fitted, I like the look.

I know these are available, MGOC have just sold the last one. Several of the clubs TA's already have these fitted.

I could move the wheel arches higher, but I'm looking for a quick fix.

My workshop is currently in storage and the T/A is stored at a neighbours. We are in the process of building a new garage.

I think I might try changing the rear springs first.

Cheers

Mark

The reason I want to increase the height of the back is that it keeps hitting the wheel arches when the family goes for a ride, 2 adults and 2 children.

I know these are available, MGOC have just sold the last one. Several of the clubs TA's already have these fitted.

I think I might try changing the rear springs first.

Mark,

If the tyres hit the wheel arches then I'd look at why the bump stops aren't preventing this. You could lift the rear of the car a few inches, but if you then put more load in than the spring rate can support, then the spring will still bottom out and the tyres will still contact the wings.

So options - I'd check that the axle has it's bump stop plate fitted and the chassis has the rubber stops, assuming they are present, you need to decide if you are going to spacer the rubber bump stop down towards the axle, which will reduce axle movement or move the wing up away from the tyre.

You could fit stronger rear springs so you can carry more, but even then you should make sure the axle to bump stop is the first point of contact.

Malc

Malc,

Thanks for the feed back.

I think I will try stronger rear springs to start with. We do look a bit 'Shallow Hal' when there are 4 of us in it.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Edited my post and then mistyped the code, so it rejected and then we cross posted.

I added that even if you go the stronger springs route, the bump stop should be the first point of contact.

Malc

I have GT springs on the back of my TA and it still bottoms out with these fitted, two up with luggage.

I would be interested in what springs you opt for as there are a range available.

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Malc,

I take your point.

I need to raise the wheel arches or some how connect the arches to the rear wheels possibly at the end of the axle, so that they move as a unit.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Remove the rear wings,chock the all wheels, stick a trolley jack under the rear chassis, undo the spring shackle bolts, then lower the chassis down onto the axle bump stops, mark an arc on the body where the tyre comes to, jack the car back up, refit the shackle bolts, add a safety margin maybe an inch or two the arc and drill the body and refit wings.

Malc

Surely, if the springs from the donor car supported the original steel body, then they have lost their strength. If you have bump stops in place, would new standard springs not fix the problem? Stiffer ones could bounce your passengers out. Just my two penneth.