Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Taste of Unleaded

The continuing woes of NiGella.
Looks to me like she gotta a vapour lock in the fuel line and the mechanical fuel pump can't suck fuel through.
Tried using man suck power but unleaded tastes nasty. But I once saw an AA man had a nattybulb and pipe affair that suckedfuel through without application of pursed lips.
Any ideas if this is a standard commonly available contraption or do I delve into my power boat sSoares locker and fabricate?
Cheers
Brian

Re: The Taste of Unleaded

Hi Brian,

Yes, unleaded is not the most pleasant tasting substance in the world.

If the pump can't suck the fuel through then there must be a blockage somewhere. In my experience, the mechanical pumps are quite efficient but will take more turns of the engine than you think. Have you tried filling the carb(s) and running the engine with the pipe from the pump into a bottle?Check any rubber pipe you have in the system, over time this could soften and collapse when under suction from the pump. Have you changed the spacer between the pump and the engine? This can be quite critical, I have experienced this problem on an 'O' series engine but more to do with over fuelling rather than no fuel. The thickness of the spacer controls the throw of the pump arm and therefore the amount of fuel delivered by the pump. There could be crud collected around the fuel pick up in the tank and a blow through with an air line should clear it. Do you have a fuel filter in the system? If yes where in the system is it in relation to the pump and how old is it?

Have you thought of a fuel tank cap wih a schraeder valve in it. Possibly better to blow the fuel though and avoid the ingestion of unleaded?

I hope the suggestions above are of some assistance but I am happy to talk things over on the phone if that would help. Send me an email and we can exchange numbers if you want to...

Regards

Paul

Hmmm much to think about there then.
Must confess I'm guessing at vapour lock 'cos she was running beautifully when put away a week ago but now after a rain enforced garage spell - no start. More significantly no petrol smell after long grinding of starter
I'll cobble together a sucker and fill the fuel filter, see how she goes with a big slug of PlusGas
And I suppose I should work through the electric malfunction options also
Seems like I spend about 5 hours leaning over the bonnet to 1 hour of driving fun and can't really go anywhere because of unreliability
Maybe I should buy a Vovlo
Hey ho
Thanks
B

And so the answer proved to be 2 large unleaded no ice or slice, a big squirt of plus gas Vapour lock cleared. Maybe Unleaded and Ginger ale in future. Hmmmm cheaper than most fine ales
B

Glad to hear you are back up and running again, does that mean we will be seeing you at the national rally then....? Entry form on home page of web site.....

Regards

Paul

Sadly no. NiGella not up to journies like this yet and more importantly (as per the gospel according to the current Mrs L) the wedding invite takes priority
Bah