Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wind deflectors

Hi Jeremy
You don't say whether you mean deflectors to fit to the top of the screen or to the sides. Paul has assumed that you mean side fitted.
I fitted a set of 'Westfield' side deflectors to Rocket this year, and these make a substantial difference to the wind buffet but, as Paul says not as much as sidecreens. Generally the deflectors are sufficeinet though sidescreens desireable for colder days and prolonged higher speeds/motorways.
I obtained the polycarbonate parts from Robin Hill who had these surplus to the NG-TC that he bought from Paul Gray, but these had no hinges. When in Holland I say that Wim Bielars had fit his Pastiche with home made deflectors and used a set of stainless 'drop on' hinges. Advantage that is is easy to dismount the deflectors when you want the sidescreens (you can't have both at the same time with the early NG screenframe} These hinges are not friction type so no good for top of screen deflectors (for which you need the ones from C-T-C that John has pointed out).
The Westfield deflectors are much larger than those usually fitted to NGs and thus more effective, and they are a near perfect fit for NGs with the ealy screen frame - needs just a minimum of trimming.
I will email you some photos (and to anybody else you wants)
You will see a set of Westfield side deflectors on EBay also at £50 +£7.50P&P
this is quite good value as Westfield price is £80 plus P&P Plus VAT. However these will only have half the hinge as other half is moulded in to the Westfield screenframe. But it should be no huge task to make up these to suit your frame.
I have no experience of top mounted deflectors so cannot comment upon effectiveness
Will be interested to know what you fit and how good you find them
Regards - Chris

Hi Again Jeremy,
Chris makes a very valid point.If you also wish to fit sidescreens you will need drop on hinges to fit both deflectors & sidescreens. If you dont the friction hinges will be OK for sides & screen top.
Here in Spain at this time of the year I run without deflectors & occasionally with screen down,Oct - Nov deflectors go on & for winter sidescreens on if its cold. Hood has been up once in 3 years when caught out by a shower.
Hope this helps
Best Wishes
John

Hi Paul, John and Chris

Many thanks for your replies - definitely food for thought.

I was thinking of side wind deflectors rather than top ones, and also rather than a full side screen.

I don't think a full side screen will work on the TA as the height between the top of the door/body side and the top of the windscreen is greater than that on TC's and TF's. As you know I have doors and these are very long so I would think that a full side screen would be difficult to keep in place. I may have a quick experiment though just to make sure. They certainly look very neat on your car Paul, I have some additional pictures of them that I took earlier in the year too.

Chris thanks for the pictures - the lift off hinge looks a good idea, and would make it easier to fit the hood and sides (which zip into the hood and clip round the windscreen)by simply lifting off the wind deflector. I had thought that with flat deflectors maybe they could be folded in when the hood went on. What I couldn't work out was how I would hold the wind deflector out from the car with a lift of hinge so I thought a friction hinge like you suggested John was what I needed.

The Westfield versions do look a useful size I may well be tempted with some from ebay as you suggest. I can see how they stay in place with that bend in them resting one the body side.

What a lot to think about - thanks very much for the information.

Cheers
Jeremy

My NG is off the road, but I do have a 1965 Healey Sprite - the same as an MG Midget.

The Sprite has wind up side windows, but the biggest improvement I have made to the Sprite is fitting a Mazda windblokker - one of those frames with a mesh in it.

When I get my NG back on the road I will be fitting a wind blocker to that.

The difference is night and day, with the block on I can drive the car at mway speeds well past midnight with the roof off while wearing shorts and tee shirt, the only draft is off the top of the screen - fantastic

Hi Jeremy. Bit late with the reply, so you may be sorted. If not, rather than me wasting time posting how to, just reply and I will tell you about mine. Hood side screens fit around them so they stay in place. They do stop some wind as I can tell, by my eyes not watering behind my glasses. One of the main problems as you know, with the TA is the cold air hitting your side, because of the low door. You can make up a side panel that fits the 'Lift the Dot' fasteners, between the stud on the scuttle near the screen mount, to the stud that is just behind the door, on the body.

Chip in Ron, Not made them yet!

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. I will take a few photos and explain how to. Simple if you have a drill, hacksaw, file and Workmate. The wings are a bit more difficult cutting without breaking, but materials may have got stronger in the past 25 years. Get back to you shortly.

Hi Jeremy.
I have attached a link (hopefully) to Photobucket, where you can download the photos of my screen fittings.
I made new fittings this year, so all items are available.
1- alloy bar (hollow or solid) 10mm x 10mm
4- Cavity wall fittings. The spring loaded wing type, with central screw.
4- M4 stainless socket head screws and nyloc nuts.(Namrick.co.uk)
8- M4 fibre washers. I used black (ebay)
4- M4 or M5 screws for fitting to screen (or self tappers)
4- Pieces of alloy to make plate for outside of wing hinges.
1- M4 tap to thread screen and hinge plates.
Cut bar and shape curve with file.
Drill the 4mm hole, allowing 1.5-2mm from curved edge.
Pull apart the cavity fitting, keeping the side that fits over the bar.
Fit to bar, loosely with M4 screw. Make sure you can swivel through 180 degrees. If not, file curve until you can.
Drill other holes to suit wing and screen, tap a thread where needed.
The fibre washers fit under screw head and nut to create the tension to hold the wing at required angle.
The angle on the front of the wing is determined by the angle of your screen frame. The cut out at the bottom is to fit around the frame bracket, making the wing a bit longer.
This reduces the amount of wind coming around the screen and getting behind my glasses. A low side screen then reduces the wind coming over the door.
Hope all this helps.
Cheers
Ron
http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/ronecc/library/screen

Thanks very much Ron. Very helpful. I'll let you know how I get on
cheers
Jeremy

Any more help just email me. ron.eccles@rocketmail.com