Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NG TC V8 History

Hi Eric - good luck with your purchase.
Are you likely to have any problems getting this re-registered after moving from Belgium to France ?
Where in France do you live ? there may be another NGer near you perhaps.
regards - Chris

Chris Hore
Hi Eric - good luck with your purchase.
Are you likely to have any problems getting this re-registered after moving from Belgium to France ?
Where in France do you live ? there may be another NGer near you perhaps.
regards - Chris

Hi Chris.

I had a phone call this afternoon with Charley, a French man who used to own a TC V8 a few years ago.
He told me he had lots of difficulties to re-register it in France.
It took him 18 months to get satisfaction...and it was before the law concerning Classic Cars got some important changes.

So, I'm gonna ask the seller a copy of all the documents he used to re-register it in Belgium when he bought it.

I got one more information about the TC's previous life in England: before being registered as GFF 475 F, it used to be registered under a Q Plate which number was Q 537 SDB.

I'm going to follow this track for my inquiries.

I live near Paris, I don't think there's any NGer in the area.
I know Pierre S lives in Brittany, I called him a few months ago to get some informations.
I also met a TF seller near the city of Tours, but his car was re-registered in 2001 by its English owner who owned a house in the South of France. Couldn't be helpful for me.

Oops, wrong typing!

The Q plate was Q 537 GDB

Hello Eric
I am puzzled that GF475F was previously a Q plate. I did not think a Q plate could be reassigned as a different number.
I don't think the Club know Pierre S in Brittany (could yopu let me have his email address please)
I believe that their are two Club Members in France who have recently registered NGs in France. I will try to put them in touch with you.
regards - Chris

Chris Hore
Hello Eric
I am puzzled that GF475F was previously a Q plate. I did not think a Q plate could be reassigned as a different number.
I don't think the Club know Pierre S in Brittany (could yopu let me have his email address please)
I believe that their are two Club Members in France who have recently registered NGs in France. I will try to put them in touch with you.
regards - Chris

Hello Chris.

Pierre lives in Brest and drives a BRG TF which appears on the 2014 calendar.
Maybe the 2 French members you're talking about own NGs built before 1984.
I met a TA owner at Automédon, an important Classic Cars meeting.
His car was older than 30, I guess.

Talking back about the TC, the main problem is that it's registered as a MG B "Sports" 3500cc on the V5 and the Belgian title but the chassis and engine numbers are from a Rover P5.
Much too complicated for the French authorities because it's impossible to get an European conformity certificate with specifics from two different cars.
I'll email you a copy of the V5 and the testing certificate with the different plate numbers and the same chassis and engine specifics when I'm home.
Regards.
Eric.

I have 2 records of GFF on the club database but no sign of the Q plate registration. The first members joined the club in 1989 and the second in 2004. Bob

Bob Morrison
I have 2 records of GFF on the club database but no sign of the Q plate registration. The first members joined the club in 1989 and the second in 2004. Bob

Chris Hore
Hello Eric

regards - Chris

Hello Chris & Bob.

Thanks a lot.

After reading Bob's comment, I had a closer look at the Department of Transport Test certificate.

If the first member joined the club in 1989 with GFF 475F, the certificate with the Q number can't fit because dated from March 15 1990.

Another amazing detail about the historics of the car, added to the fact the VIN number doesn't fit with the MG B's database I've been able to find and the engine doesn't fit with the Rover P6 database...(I wrote before it was taken from a P5 but it was from a P6 )

I've decided to give up with the deal, just because I don't want to spend the next 12 or 18 months debating with the authorities instead of quietly driving a cool roadster...
I've called the seller and told him he could sell to another one.
A lucky Belgian is probably gonna buy himself an incredible car, but as a French man, I can't take an uncalculated risk.

But I don't give up my quest of the Grail!

If anyone hears about a TC (but a beautiful TF would, of course, "make my day") for sale, let me know about it.

But it ABSOLUTELY needs having been built BEFORE 1985.

I know I 'm asking a lot, but this is the price to pay if you want to drive a "never imported" typical English roadster when you're living in the "Land of Human Rights"

Best regards.