Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vehicle excise duty

Hi All,

My NG has been on the road since 1994 and the V5c states the original date of registration is 1974. I was sure that I'd heard that vehicle registered in 1974 now become VED exempt so made some inquiries to the DVLA. The text below is an extract from the information I received back:

Legislation has been introduced via the Finance Bill 2014 to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1974 from the payment of VED. This came into force on 1st April 2014. In addition, legislation was also introduced to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1975 from the payment of VED.

This will come into force on 1 April 2015. The intention from HM Treasury is to introduce a legislative clause every year so that vehicles manufactured 40 years ago will become exempt from VED. In essence this introduces a 40 year rolling exemption but also provides future Governments with the flexibility not to introduce such a clause.

If you are in possession of a V5C Registration Certificate and the taxation class is not already shown as Historic Vehicle, you will need to apply to tax the vehicle in a person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax. The earliest you can do this is 01/04/15.

The V5C must show a date of registration prior to the 01.01.1975.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V5C Registration Certificate

• valid MOT Certificate

The keeper will need to write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks.

More information on the historic vehicles taxation class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles.

Regards

Paul