Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Facebook

Hi

Does anyone use facebook?

There is quite a good kit car page to join and there has been a few pictures of NG TA's on over the last few days - including John Watson's car and Mr ToAd (who was very good and got a new MOT today).

There are also pages for Classic Le Mans, Classic Spa and other car events and several NG TC V8 pages.

Should we have a Club page?

Cheers
Jeremy

Re: Facebook

Hi Jeremy,

I don't use face-book myself but recognize that many people do. I am totally open to the idea of a club face-book page but please consider the demographic of the club membership.

Regards

Paul

Not a popular idea then?

I am new to Facebook myself, having been encouraged by my kids and my brother, still not a great fan of it - it seems rather limited in what it offers.

However the kit car page seems quite active, a bit like the a forum, maybe easier to use.

The NGTC V8 page is good too, some lovely shots of a "retro" styled TC that are truly fabulous.

I thought it might be a good way of raising the club profile, engaging with a wider community and sharing pictures and events.

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I must admit to not being a great fan of Facebook myself but I did consider starting a page for "old fashioned" kit cars. I only joined as my local hot rod crowd stopped communicating by grunts and squeaks and started posting meetings etc. on FB - to not be on FB meant missing out on where the next meet would be... However, since joining I have found it handy for "conversation" but almost useless for passing on information and the like as the most recent post just moves everything else further down the page. For listing events, detailing tech' stuff etc. forums can be much more useful; for the "Who's going this weekend?", "Look at what I've just done to my car" type of comment FB works well. I can't see that an NG page could do any harm, I gather the club demographic is older folk who may not be interested, but a FB page could be open to anyone with an NG and might draw in those who aren't aware of the club or consider it not for them (an opinion which would obviously change when they see what fun we are all having!!).

I think there could be an interest in a Facebook page, as since I mentioned that my TA has her own page, there have been quite a few lookers. It may not have been of much interest to viewers, as it was originally started to keep a record of her rebuild, for family and friends to keep up with.
Maybe with a few more participants people could find ideas and get help quicker than having to wait for the quarterly club mag'. Not that I am against the mag', but Facebook must be cheaper to produce, so helping to release cash for other uses.
It is not difficult to use and your details can be kept private, if that is what you wish. How about a vote.
Just a thought!

Or set up a page and see how popular it is.

You can make them open or closed (so you have to ask to join) that would enable a good count to be undertaken. The kit car pages you have to join - its quite active and covers the whole gambit of kits.

Not found your page so far Ron, I'll have to look harder!

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Ron & Jeremy,

Just a few comments from my side.

I wouldn't see Facebook replacing the club magazine. The magazine is the 'jewel in the crown' for the club.

We live in rapidly changing technological times and to embrace a different method of members staying in touch, can only be a positive step forward to keep things current. It might even encourage new members through ownership.

The demographic of the club might be slightly older than perhaps a Lotus seven type club but this doesn't necessarily mean backward looking. A significant number are builder owners which by nature are forward looking individuals that enjoy technical challenges.

My vote would be to trial a face-book account and make information readily available to club members. Would either of you chaps be prepared to put together some basic documentation on how to get access and how it works??. This could then be published in the magazine and the forum and see what the response is.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't see it replacing anything that we already have as a club. More like a shop window - raising the profile of the NG make and the profile of the club and our events.

I don't think that club membership should be a requirement of facebook page membership/following but I think the club could be actively promoted.

We do need to court the next generation so perhaps embracing some of the social media options makes sense.

I'll have a play with "it" over the weekend (if I get a chance) and post a link on here to try and get some feedback from other facebook users and perhaps some pictures of NG's other than my car!

If that works then we can put a link on here and write something for the next magazine.

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy,

I have read the first 3 points you have raised and agree wholeheartedly. What you suggest seems like a good plan so will wait to hear more.

As an aside I am going to Gaydon on Saturday to the club expo. Hopefully will get some ideas from this and will share them with you....

Regards

Paul

I have just had my Post refused, as it found SPAM content. Don't know what it was. I was agreeing with Jeremy's comments, and stating more uses for F...book (try that for no SPAM). Anyway, if you need any help Jeremy, let me know.

For those on Facebook there is now an NG Owners group! And there are four members already.

It is a closed group so you have to request to join but that is easy just like a friend request.

The group can be found by typing in NG Kit car or by copying this link to the browser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NG.Owners/

I hope the group will develop with the help of its members and will be used to actively promote the NG Owners Club and its events.

All feedback and constructive comments welcome.

Cheers
Jeremy