Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tax exempt Historic Vehicle

Hi
Delilah, my much-loved NGTF was first registered (as Marina 1.8 Estate) in February 1975. I'm trying to find out how, when the time comes, I can get her re-registered. So far, I've had lots of conflicting views - and someone must know. My local Post Office says they think they can do it there and that, if I paid the tax, I'd get it refunded (sounds unlikely). A friend has already gone down this route with his 1973 Ford Capri and waits in hope.

Any ideas?

Yours

Mike Josey

Re: Tax exempt Historic Vehicle

Hi Mike,

Paying up front seems odd to me, I have read through the direct gov web site and it does not appear clear - but the bottom line is that the V5C tax class will need to be changed to Historic to avoid paying.

This is quite helpful and implies that the process must be done through the DVLA themselves

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419830/INF34_090315.pdf

I assume that you get the reminder and then send this the form V10 plus the details they ask for to the DVLA with the V5C and everything ends happily!

Cheers
Jeremy

Re: Tax exempt Historic Vehicle

Mike,

I have been through this process at the beginning of the month following the reply I received from the DVLA.

If your car was first registered in 1975 and providing the law doesn't change, your vehicle will become tax exempt from the 1st April 2016. My car was registered in 1974 so becomes historic( VED exempt) from the 1st Feb this year.

It is not clear from your post whether the car is still registered as a Marina or has been changed in the past to an NG. If it is still registered as a Marina, whatever you do, don't bring this to the attention of the DVLA unless you have very strong evidence it was registered as an NG before the IVA/SVA came in. Even with strong evidence you would be taking a risk.

The email from the DVLA states:

"Legislation has been introduced via the Finance Bill 2014 to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1974 from the payment of VED. This came into force on 1st April 2014. In addition, legislation was also introduced to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1975 from the payment of VED.

This will come into force on 1 April 2015. The intention from HM Treasury is to introduce a legislative clause every year so that vehicles manufactured 40 years ago will become exempt from VED. In essence this introduces a 40 year rolling exemption but also provides future Governments with the flexibility not to introduce such a clause.

If you are in possession of a V5C Registration Certificate and the taxation class is not already shown as Historic Vehicle, you will need to apply to tax the vehicle in a person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax. The earliest you can do this is 01/04/15.

The V5C must show a date of registration prior to the 01.01.1975.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V5C Registration Certificate
• valid MOT Certificate

The keeper will need to write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks.

More information on the historic vehicles taxation class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles."

I hope this helps.

Paul B