Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Towing

Read somewhere you shouldn't tow a Rover V8 engined car without disconnecting the propshaft as i need to move my car it is not driveable yet it is a V8TC
any advice would be welcome
Ed

Re: Towing

Hi Ed,

My understanding is that you shouldn't tow a manual SDI (LT77 gearbox)with the rear wheels on the ground. That is what it says in the manual.

I think the reason is because there is an oil pump within the gearbox that only works when the engine is running and the car in motion. If you tow the car with the rear wheels on the ground then the pump doesn't work and bearings within the gearbox are starved of oil and it damages the gearbox.

If you are towing a short distance and very slowly you could probably get away with it. However the manual is quite specific so it is up to you if you are brave enough to take the chance( I wouldn't).

There are two choices, 1) cheapest is to disconnect the propshaft (4 bolts and 20-30 minutes with a jack and axle stands, 2) more expensive would be to get it picked up on a lorry/trailer (probably cheaper and easier than a gearbox rebuild)

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul B

Re: Towing

Thanks Paul
I couldn't remember why now i know
Ed