Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sealing under the windscreen frame

Hi everyone. Just wondering what rubber trim people have found works regarding sealing the windscreen frame to the body? My car (Pastiche TA) will hopefully be ready within a month or so and is it will my everyday car I would like to get the windscreen frame to seal. Currently the car uses a rubber car boot seal type affair which is in good order but there is a small gap in the middle between the frame and the scuttle area so I guess it has always leaked. Information relating to what has worked for others would be much appreciated Cheers Dafyddcoch

Re: sealing under the windscreen frame

Hi Dafydd,

Same as on my car and going up hill in the rain results in water running everywhere. It is a problem I need to solve too.

On old MG's they use a blade style rubber but this is much more firmly held against the scuttle top. I was going to replace the flimsy panel under the windscreen with something more robust and then use a combination of rubber strip and silicone to seal it up.

I will be interested to know what you do and how effective it is.

Cheers
Jeremy

cheers Jeremy. Only problem with silicone it can cause havoc if the car ever needs painting. Mind you it is 30 years since I worked in a body-shop but back then we despaired if the paint had patches that looked like Hammerite as we knew it was due to silicone contamination and it was a pain to deal with. I wonder how cars from the 30s with roller coaster scuttles dealt with it?
Regards

re last message> I meant cars other than the MGs. It must be possible to solve this problem. I wonder if an upside down aluminum u-section with a windscreen sealant in with a rubber sheet attached to the front face of it with the other end to the bottom outside edge of the windscreen frame might do the trick. might look clumsy but will carry on thinking about this as I need an answer for this issue as I need to arrive at work sometimes looking smart and a wet wool suit will not go down well lol.
Regrds

I think 90% of the problem is the flexibility of the panel that sits under the windscreen. If this was more rigid then the seal would be held more firmly against the scuttle top and actually work. On the MG's (I had a TC and a TF) the screen goes right down to the scuttle and has a blade type seal - similar on most pre war cars of that style. This is held firmly against the scuttle top. The added advantage they have is that the scuttle top slopes much more - on the TA it is flat so the water can't run off. However one advantage we have is that the screen does no fold right to the scuttle top so anything we try to seal the screen up does not have to cope with the screen being folded down where as the MG's do.

I was going to reinforce the panel under the screen with a bit of ash as a first step - I was looking at it yesterday as a consequence of your post - I feel sure this will help.

Cheers
Jeremy

I get your thinking and it makes sense to start there I guess and see what if anything leaks through after that. I wish I was as good at woodwork as I am at metalwork though, perhaps I'll try something similar to your ash idea but with a panel of scored ply with reinforced GRP over the top. BTW both my lad and I think you're lucky to have owned vintage MGs, Especially the TF, lucky you.
Regards

Will be interesting to see how it work out - please let me know.

As for the MG's - yes they were lovely -expensive but lovely - but to be honest the NG is far better to drive (even if it did break down this morning) and the club is full of far nicer people!

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi ive used this product with succsess http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-121-putty.aspx

Thanks for that Steve I used to use the DUm Dum mentioned on teh link you sent and was impressed with it> Did you use it with a rubber extrusion or instead of one? I guess a combination of the putty and taking the flex out of the scuttle would have it sorted for definite.
Regards

Hi ive used it on a few jobs twice under windscreens with total success, car builder solutions do one as well its a bytal product which is better as you can roll it out smaller.

Presumably as uopu roll it thin you use it under a rubber extrusion to cope with the flexing that Jeremy mentioned. I'll check out this other product. Thanks again.
Regards