Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: help with relay identification needed

I have an engine driven fan so can't help I'm afraid. Hopefully others can.

Does it use Marina/Ital wiring or is it a Pastiche loom?

Cheers
Jeremy

David,

I am certainly not an electrical expert..... However I have been fighting my way through wiring up my TF so have some thoughts from an enthusiastic amateur...!!! Apologies if I am telling you something you already know....

If you are using existing wiring I suspect there won't be that many relays so shouldn't be too hard to track what does what.

Normally the headlights use blue/red wiring, the main beam uses blue/white wiring and the horn would normally be purple.

If all the wiring is the same colour then that makes it more difficult. However, if the lights/horn are working on relays then pop out a relay one at a time to see what stops working. Crude but effective. I can send you a list of lucas (prince of darkness) colour codes if you don't already have access from the web.

Just let me know if you want a copy or give me a call.

Regards

Paul

Is this any help?

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/s_fans.htm

I know its MGB but I can't imagine Leyland having different schemes for the different models.

Cheers
Jeremy

thanks jeremy. I'll look at the link tomorrow to double check. I've sussed how to wire one in but what is confusing me is there just doesn't seem to be any evidence of it having ever had a thermostat wired in before but yet it came with a top hose one and a fan attached to the fitted rad, just no black and yellow wire or even any other spare wire ay the front except blue and yellows (right and left spotlights). However, on a brighter note I actually drove it around my yard today! the 1st time I've moved it using the engine instead of human or winch power.

Sounds like the fan fitment was not completed or it was just switched manually by the driver.

I need to re-wire my car, the cut about MGB loom is a right mess - next winters job I think.

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy, That would make sense as the green/red and red wire are visible and by the rad and the builder of the car, who left a very comprehensive history of the build with lots of diagrams etc mentions the fan switch and it is still there on the dash. What threw me was that in the box of bits was a top hose sensor/switch so I assumed it had been fitted but I guess he/she never got around to it so the black/yellow wire will likely be still wrapped up in the harness outer binding It does appear that the builder used an optional TA harness so I guess I'll just undo the Spiwrap binding and look for it.
Regards

Hi David,

The information I have states that the red wire - Main feed to all circuits mastered by sidelamp switch. The red/Green wire - Direction indicator switch to left-hand flasher lamps. However, this very much depends on how your loom has been altered...!!

The Relay to radiator fan motor should be a black/green wire and the Radiator fan motor to thermal switch should be black/orange.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul< would love to give you a ring but have mislaid your number. Please will you email it to me again at dafyddcochparc@hotmail.co.uk
Regards

Hi Dafyddcoch,
Have a look at Car Builders Solutions, down load there catalogue page 195/198 explains all about wiring,this has helped me once or twice.