Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TA Door hinges

Hi Almost there with the TA but have noticed that the passenger door hinge has broken. Does anyone know if the hinges were provided when door option was ordered and if so what hinges were supplied or was it left to the door fitter to supply the hinge and cut the door to suit. Thanks
PS took it for a very slow spin up my mountain track yesterday on a perfect summer evening. wonderful!!

Re: TA Door hinges

The hinges on my car are Land Rover / Mini Estate rear door hinges - not pretty but effective.

I think the Marina TA's had something more sophisticated though but I don't know what these were from sorry.

Cheers
Jeremy

thanks jeremy. Sophisticated would not describe my TA door hinges. They are basically domestic brass door/window hinges. I'm trying to avoid having to drill new holes or cut the body in any way as well as ensuring a match with the other hinges hence wondering if hinge sizes or types were known. Today I found a site that sells brass hinges without holes to vintage car owners. The idea is that the owner can drill to suit. This may be the way forward.
Regards

Sounds promising but also sounds a bit expensive. I bought some hinges for a car I was restoring - solid brass quite heavy weight and without the holes as you describe - wow where they a price.

Would it be worth going to B&Q or somewhere like that and checking out the options there if they are like door hinges - but then you have probably tried that already.

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi David,

The hinges on my TA look like ordinary household door hinges and are mounted suicide fashion......

The hinges supplied with my TF kit from Pastiche (back in 1989) were awful, absolute rubbish so decided not to use them. I used Mark 1 Mini door hinges instead.

I would try local DIY stores or local kitchen fitter first before anything else....

Regards

Paul

My Ta hinges are domestic, brass ones. They have been on 25 years and still okay. Like Paul I changed my doors to suicide, much easier to get in and out of the car. That is, if your doors have a 45 degree slope at the front end.

thanks, I purchased thick strong brass washered hinges from screwfix yesterday that are identical apart from 1 half needs cutting down to make it narrower. My doors have already been fitted non-suicide style and yes it is awkward to get in and out of, especially with the 17-inch Rover P4 Steering wheel in the way!! looks great though. it passed the MOT today, hooray.