Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dashboard indicator light remaining on

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. I will check tonight if the weather is fine. (I have to work outside as there is not enough room in the car shed).

regards

John

Hi John,

I am no way an electrical expert but I am wiring my TF from scratch so have a small amount of knowledge.

I am not sure how the wiring would differ between a positive earth to a negative earth but would suspect how the circuit is configured could have something to do with it.

My current TF and the one I am building both have separate indicator lights for left and right. There is a live ignition switch feed to the flasher unit and this goes to the common on the actual indicator switch via the green/brown wire. When the switch is turned for left(red/green)/right(green/white) this makes the circuit on that side of the car. The load created by the bulbs affects how fast the lights flash( normally 2*15w for front and back plus 5w for repeater lamp).

Always best to go back to basics with this sort of problem. A good idea is to photo copy the wiring diagram for your car and tipex out all but the wiring circuit and photocopy again. Alternatively there are several diagrams and information on the club website under the 'articles' section from the front page.....

I hope this helps and is not telling you what you already know.....

Regards

Paul B

Hi Paul,

The replies from yourself and Jeremy lead me to believe the indicators were not wired up correctly in the first place. All the wires from the switch go to the flasher unit, which is a 3 pin one and possibly for positive earth cars only. I will have to think this through and may get a 2 pin unit to try out which I believe is for negative earth cars with a rethink on the wiring circuit. As you say, it is often best to go back to basics.

Thanks for your help. I may need quite a bit in the future from the forum, as the NG is quite different to my previous car which was a BRA CV3.

Regards

John

Hi John,

The Auto Electrical Supplies web site has a lot of information this schematic for example

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/file_uploads/170804_(12v)_schematic.jpg

The flasher unit they use in the diagram is this one:

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/165/category/35

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I have saved the links in your message, and will be rewiring indicators from scratch. I haven't been able to have a look yet with the heavy rain last night and this afternoon, and I really need to get the car shed doors finished to keep out the wet weather. I have just finished making the door frames this evening.

Paul,

I will take a couple of photos this weekend and send them on to you. The car as an NG is now 33 years old and needs a bit of work, mainly cleaning up and cosmetic to interior. I have to find a suitable seat for my wife on the passenger side, and also have to fit a door on that side so she can get into the car. She is not very well, but this the first car she has been really keen on, and wants us to use it as much as we can - she told me to buy it in the first place!

Regards

John

John,

Could you please send me a picture of your car? I have a picture of it but only in black & white.......

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have not forgotten about sending you a picture or two of my car. I was really busy at the weekend helping my son lay his his patio. I will see about taking a couple of snaps this weekend.
Regards

John

Hi John,

No worries, when you get time......

Regards

Paul