Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NG TC Petrol Tank

Hi Piers,

Welcome to NG ownership, they really are good fun.

It is difficult to say how big your tank is because it could be a mini tank or an NG tank or even a bespoke tank made by the original owner. I am sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted or expected but the only way is to get underneath with a tape measure and calculate from the measurements.

I have noticed from the records I have (current to the 2nd June) you are not listed as a member. I would encourage you to join the club(its only £15/year). The magazine is worth the money on its own and membership would entitle you to attend the national rally next year.

Could I also trouble you for a photo of you car (email direct) as I am building up a pictorial database of all the NG's I can find.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I guess I'll have to get underneath with a tape measure then :)

I joined the Owners' Club last week (I only got the car on Thursday). Pictures by email to follow.

Hello Piers - welcome to NG ownership and the NG Owners Club.
Our 'Rocket' NG-TC V8 has a stainless plain rectangular tank of some 47litres,(about a big as will fit) which is good for 250miles on average driving.
You may have a small tank or you may have a misleading fuel gauge. Rocket still has a good 9litres when indicating empty and has some 35litres at half full. So you may need to do some 'calibration' - dip the tank and run until nearly empty. Pump dry and then refill a gallon at a time and read the gauge as you go, and note the total volume filled until visually full in fill pipe.
You will also probably find that you cannot fill the tank very quickly without it frothing and overflowing. This can give you false sense of when full, again go slow towards the end and watch for fuel rising up the neck.
Hopefully Bob Morrison will be sending you a copy of the most recent issue of the Club Mag 'ChangiNGear' - as the editors, Su and I are always keen to hear from new members about themselves, their NGs and their NG outings - so we hope to hear from you in due course.
All the Best - Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the welcome.

I've got underneath it, and the tank is approximately 62 x 29 x 20. Assuming the tank is flat on top, I make that almost 36 litres. First time I filled it, I tried to brim it, and poured about three or four quid's worth of super unleaded all over the forecourt before I realised I'd obviously hit the breather hole. Second time, I chickened out and only put 20 litres in it.

Some tank dipping and more testing required, I reckon.