Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pastiche henley

Hi, looking for some help on the hood subject. I have an aging TF, built 1992. It's never had a roof in all those years. I'm keen to get it back on the road and use it as a summer run around. I need a hood frame, or drawings to make one(preferably) and a hood supplier (it's for the original windscreen style, form the Pastiche days).
Can anybody help me progress this?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Re: pastiche henley

Hi Lal.

Have a look at the second page of threads - there's one called 'Soft Top' by Tony Whitfield.

He, too, has a Henley and was looking for a top (like me). I don't think Findhorn will be able to help you as the Henley (is yours Cortina or Sierra based?) is actually wider than the other TFs - I think this includes the new models.

The extra cockpit size is good news, but will mean you'll have to have a hood made up specially for it. If you have the remains of your old hood, then any number of upholsterers should be able to make up a new one using it as a pattern. I'd guess a ball park figure would be around £400 for a double-duck hood. There are a few recommended outfits, but it might even be worth checking out your local Yellow Pages, etc!

I'm in a similar position. I don't even have an old hood to begin with, and was considering having one made up with someone else - this should keep costs down. (A slight fly in t'ointment is that I don't even have a windscreen frame at the mo, and was going to try and use a modified MG frame.)

Oh! Also see a thread by myself called "Hoods and sidescreens - a possible manufacturer" which is a few pages back!

Re: Re: pastiche henley

donnie where are you you can use mine as a template if it fits we should be able to get 2 cheaper

Hi Lal.

I'm near Bideford in North Devon. Where are you?!

I'd certainly be interested - a hood is something I'll need in the future, even tho' my car needs a fair bit to get it roadworthy!

Is yours Cortina or Sierra based? Mine's Sierra. Really looking forward to getting it on the road!

im in london but have a camper so could come to you got a sierra have you tried a lotus 7 or caterham looking car for a windscreen mine looks like them

Hi Lal.

I haven't yet found anyone down here who can make up a hood, but I haven't actually looked that hard either!

The options I know of at the moment are:

1) Aldridge.co.uk who are strongly recommended by Hugo Van-Manen,

2) Graham Dean near derby, recommended by Mark Staley,

3) NTG Motor Services who are in Ipswich and who have quoted £450 for a double-duck hood for an MG-based TF, but will need to start again with a Henley pattern (although price should be similar).

I don't know if Tony Whitfield has managed to get himself a hood yet, but if he hasn't that would mean three of us looking for a Henley TF hood which should help with quotes. I'll start investigating down here...

Thanks for the pointer about the screen frame. I actually did get one with the car, but it's the old extruded-ali type which I want to improve on. Hence my experiments using a Midget frame!

How desperate are you to get a new hood? It might be worth your while looking around your own area since they'll probably need your old hood to take patterns from, and I don't have a hood for that purpose. It would also save you a trip over here just to drop off a hood! I will look round here tho'.

what about the studding points do you think they would be in the same place im not in a rush as mine is ok but will keep looking around up here and maybe in the spring i will pop down with the roof in the camper to double check everything fits ok i go down to cornwall quite a bit so it wont be aggro but wont be untill the spring now

AS you are in London, try Polyfacto at Hailsham in East Sussex. They made my bespoke TA hood a number of years ago in mohair, but also can supply cheaper alternatives if required. Highly recommended!
Apeak to Les Parrot on 01323-841399 www.polyfacto.co.uk

Regards - Dave

thanks that sounds promising

Re: Re: Re: pastiche henley

Hi There,
I have a Pastiche henley based on a 76 1.8 marina, and I went to Polyfacto for my toneau, they used mohair and the result is excellent if I remember correctly it cost about £170.
My old hood had the zip/popper doors and they will make a bespoke hood with the Zip in doors but it is a very expensive exercise they "guestimated" about £600 to £700. however there are some oppertunities to reduce that amount depending on what you want.
To save writing an essay now if you want any more info send me an email and I'll try to help as much as I can.

Cheers . . . Chris

Hi Chris.

I'm pretty new to the whole NG/Pastiche thing, but I thought the 'Henley' referred specifically to the Cortina and Sierra-based models, whose main physical difference to the MG models was that the cockpit was around 4 inches wider and longer?

Do you know how the Marina model compares? Could yours be an 'Ascot' model? I wonder how it compares size-wise with the 'Ford' Henley?!

donnie do you want a full roof or a tonneau

Hi Lal, I'd be after a full top.

Keep us posted on progress, and I'll also look around here.

You could be right on that one I'm not sure at all, however I do know the marina rear axle is wider than the MGB and they overcame that by widening the rear wheel arches so they may have done the same thing with the henley!

Hi Chris.

The Henley is actually wider in the bodytub - I believe by around 4 inches width and length.

Off the top of my head, the windscreen frame is 1080mm wide where it goes over the scuttle sides; I think the MG-based TF is 980ish. Where does yours fit in with this?!

Hi Lal. Sorry I havn't replied to your phone call. I've been in hospital for a couple of weeks. It seems you my have sorted things out.