Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TA - Question re Registration

Just received this email from Nigel of Findhorn:
Gentlemen,

I have just received word that I would be grateful if you could spread at the NG annual rally this weekend.

It has come via Denzil Brunning of Status. Rather than trying to paraphrase what he said, here it is verbatim:

"DVLA have just come back to me.

It seems as though the vehicle owner should take the V5, any receipts he may have, and several MOT's dated prior to 1998 to his local DVLA office.

They will then update the vehicle record without SVA and will retain the registration number.

It is important that the MOT's clearly identify the vehicle as a kit (NG presumably) so that the office can see that the converted vehicle was actually used prior to the introduction of SVA. They said that the "use" issue is important - receipts for a kit bought before 1998 will not be accepted.

Apparently the local offices have been doing this for some time; a circular was sent to them to re-affirm the official policy recently.

Unfortunately it looks like a "discussion" is taking place between DVLA and VOSA to decide whether this can continue. VOSA think that the cars should be subject to SVA, DVLA think it is unfair to retrospectively apply SVA.

It is possible that VOSA will win the argument, so it is important that your customer moves quickly.

DVLA have said they will inform us if their policy changes; they have also offered to help if your customer experiences difficulties."

So the message is that if anyone has a fistful of old MOT certificates dating prior to the SVA date of 1998 and these do actually identify that the car tested was an NG - as opposed to the donor car in its original state - the DVLA will up-date the registration document to show that the car is an NG.

This is very significant for those people who have had their cars a good long time as it will avoid the need for the SVA test.

My customer in question has a plate in his car saying "Built by Martin Motors in 1988". This seems to be acceptable alternative proof. This is not going to be a universal panacea. For instance we have three cars here which we have bought in. There is no way that I can prove that they were on the road prior to 1998 as NGs so I will have to put them through SVA.

I am sure that there will be significant numbers of NGs out there to which this applies, because they have been around for so long. Please spread the word, as it seems that this may be a last chance. Chris, please put something in the next ChangiNGear. Bob, please could you ask your successor to put something on the owners club web site. We will do likewise. Mon, please.

I hope you have a great weekend. I am sure that Monica would wish you the same - she has gone to Iceland for the w/e, having missed out on a previous occasion to go the Exeter Show - great devotion to duty!!

Best Wishes
Nigel

Re: Re: TA - Question re Registration

I hope someone out there can help me.

I like alot of members have a NG TC registered as a MGB V8 Special.

It was originally registered on a Q plate on the original donor chasis number. MOT's show it as a NG

At some time in its history around 1994 judging by the MOT's I have, it was re registered and ended up with an historic plate. The documents now carried the NG chasis number but now the MOT's show it as a MGB V8 Special.

The problem I have is the the DVLA require the earlier MOT's ( proof of use) to show the current chassis number.

Help. I think the car has been owned by Bob Lazenby

If you are out there Bob please ring me 01329 319447 and give me some history on GFF475F

White NG TC V8.

Regards

Paul

The original

Re: Re: Re: TA - Question re Registration

I am hoping, due to the time that's elapsed, that these problems have been sorted out by now? It would be very interesting - and useful - to hear how things have turned out.

John, the engine isn't really a problem since it's a component that is often replaced in many cars during its lifespan - all you'd need to do is fill in the change of details on the V5 and send it off. The VIN number, as you know, is more critical, but you seem to be ok there.

Chris, and others, it struck me that another way to possibly gain some evidence that your car has been in kit form for some time would be to contact the well-known kitcar insurance companies (99% of kitcars are with one of about three companies, I think!) and ask them to check their records for your reg number. There's a chance they'll have a record of it having been insured - obviously as a kit - by the previous owners.

Good luck, and please feed back as to how you are getting on.

Re: TA - Question re Registration - Update

Donnie, and others. Apologies, I suppose an update is well overdue. Despite following several lines of enquiry I have had no luck in finding the original owner/builder of my TA. The insurance one is a good idea - not tried that one yet so will follow that up.

In the meantime the car has recently been through another MOT (May 2006) - it was the previous MT that originally highlighted the problem to me. This time, however, the MOT station entered the car onto the system as an MGB and all was well. So the car is roadworthy, it has an MOT, is insured and taxed (or rather tax-exempt) so all is above board except for the fact it is still on the V5 as an MGB.

Having recently swapped the engine I am now enjoying some exciting motoring. Next project is to mount a slab tank and spare wheel carrier to the rear.

All the best, Chris

Re: Re: TA - Question re Registration - Update

Thanks for the update Chris.

What brought it to mind is that I've just bought a Pastiche Henley which is registered and MOT'd as a 'Ford Convertible/Tourer'. Like you, I should be ok if I keep things that way! However, I also have insurance docs going back to 1997 showing it insured as a Henley kit, so will tackle my local DVLA office about a change once it's back on the road (won't be any time soon.)

The company the guy used was 'Eclipse at LLoyd's', but the mileage declaration was made out to 'Hill House Hammond Ltd'. There are quite a few insurance companies out there, so keep going even after you've tackled the obvious ones!

Good luck.