Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TA Which Engines fit?

John,
I'll comment but may not be exactly answering your questions.
1)The engine:-- I don't know what the replacement is, to which you refer but the original engine is ,most probably, a BMC 'B' series from an MGB. There are differences in the 'B' engines over the years but none that I would think will not fit in a TA.
If you swap a dynamo for an alternator there will be wiring implications and depending on the year of the original donor car yours could even be + ( positive) earth. My 1967 engine still has the original 'cartridge' type oil filter but I believe these can be fairly easily changed to the canister type.Either a 'screw up' or a 'screw down'forget which was the latest type.
I don't think any of these things will cause serious problems to adapt to the NG TA , however, there are as mentioned various engine changes over the years and gearboxes too. I don't think all engines fit all gearboxes / clutches so you do need to do your homework on that score. There were alsovarious different fuel / emissions systems over the years. A Haynes Manual; parts catalogue from Moss Europe, and maybe asking on an MGB enthusiasts forum would all be useful things to have / do.
2) The hood. The original Nick Green TA had a hood as an option: a folding frame and a 'liftadot' fitted hood and 'zip in' sidescreens. I think the build manual has some drawings but not dimensions. I could possibly scan you some info if I can find it ....

Nigel

Re: Re: TA Which Engines fit?

Thanks Nigel
Yes it is an 18G MG engine, and I hadn't thought about the different earth polarity question, this would mean changing all sorts of things that I'm not sure I want to get into. I think in that case I will have another look at the MGOC 'Club Engines', which are available as a direct replacement for my existing engine. It would also retain the integrity of the original donor car.
Regards
John