Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wiring queries

I've almost finished the loom on my TF, but have two things I need answered: my ignition switch has 4 terminals on the back, numbered 1 to 4. Number 3 has two actual copper spades, so it's a double terminal. The loom has 4 sets of wires, one brown, one white/red and 2 lots of white. To which terminal does each wire go?

Secondly, under the dash, at the end of the front part of the loom is a large brown wire with a ring-type terminal on the end - where should it be connected? The only other such wire on the front anywhere nearby is the brown from the starter - and that is in place. So where does this one go? It's at the end of the loom, next to the multi-plugs that link to the dash loom.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Re: Wiring queries

Ian,
I have found the Haynes, especially the earlier ones, good for wiring diagrams. Do you not have one? or is this an 'NG' loom rather than an 'MG' loom?

If the latter, I could have a look in Haynes for you but will need to know the year of the donor MGB and if tourer or GT.

Nigel
p.s. I hope this gets through; the last mail I sent disapeared before my eyes ....

Re: Wiring queries

Hi Ian, I expect you have sorted this out by but for the benefit of anyone else :
The brown is the live feed which goes to No3, The whites are your switched ignition circuits and are connected to No2 (there are usually a pair of these) and the red/white becomes your live feed to the starter solenoid and goes to No1.
Regarding the brown wire with the ring terminal, there should be two of these connected to the starter solenoid and they effectively form a loop between the starter solenoid and the alternator. Hope this helps, Chris Wilson.