Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cooling Hoses for NG TC

Congratulations and thanks to who ever set up this forum - pleasantly suprised to find it after googling for latest info on NG etc.

Built my NGtc in 1983 with a goldseal 1800 Marina engine and now afetr 23 years (seven under a tarpualin)I am refurbishing the mechanicals. However for the life of me I can't rememeber what hoses I used for the radiator. The bottom and top have now hardened off and need replacing and I have wandered round looking for the equivalent to fit. Can anyone let me know what car they come from as its not the MG, as the radiator I remember having to get is not an MGB rad but after so long I can't remeber the car it came from.

I have rung NG cars 4 times but no one is ever in and they always say they will get back with the info but never do.

TTFN

Jonathan

Re: Cooling Hoses for NG TC

Welcome Jonathon,

If you can,t remember what rad it is I would say your only options would be to trawl through the stocks of your local car spares or scrap yard till you find something similar, or go to an autojumble like Newark. HTH
Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark - the radiator I fitted was the one recommended by NG as the one that fits the TC TD & TF - I just can't remember. I had thought it was moggy, but its not the same as my moggy I just got ;-) - AS you say I'll just have to keep searching motor factors etc.

TTFN

Jonathan

Re: Re: Cooling Hoses for NG TC

Hi Jonathan. It is my understanding that the radiator for the NG is made specifically for the NG - though I may be wrong of course. I am not sure what car the hoses come from either. I suggest you persevere with contacting NG (Findhorn Cars) by phone or email. If they are still not forthcoming, I am sure that John Hoyle would be able to help as he used to run NG. Please let me know if you need his contact details.

Jonathan,

I built my TA around that time and have the TA and TC brochures.
The radiator for both is from the Austin / Morris 1800 ( 'land Crab' ).

I retained the original bottom hose from the MGB,( in fact it is the very early metal one with short connecting hoses and a stub for the heater hose take off). The later hoses were all rubber. I am not sure if the orientation of the radiator to the engine is the same for the TC as for the TA. If I remember right the rad in the TC may be set lower, so the original hose may not fit.
For the top hose I used one of those convoluted 'universal' hoses cut to the right length. I had to 'pack' the radiator end though as the rad. stub is a slightly smaller diameter than the take off from the engine. ( I think I bought it in Halfords ).
Btw, NG could supply a specially made 12 gal.petrol tank, but a tank from an Austin A30 / A35 or 'Spridget' would fit: this is what I used; only about 5 gal. capacity though.

Hope that helps.

Nigel L

Re: Re: Cooling Hoses for NG TC

Thanks for the info Nigel

I'll look into the MG Bottom hose. Interesting that the branch for the heater is on the bottom hose. I have the branch for my TC heater on the top hose.

I can get from Halfords a 'universal' Top hose that can probably be made to fit - except it does not have the small branch for the heater. I'll think again on this

Good to know the source of the radiator - as I have yet to fill it with water !! and who knows what will happen then .

Thanks for the info on the petrol tank - luckly fiited a custom built stainless tank when first built the car, and it looks in good nick still.

I have to find a little glass lens for the side lights fitted to the cycle wings. I can only seem to source a complete light for £28, and all I need is the glass lens !! and I'm sure its an MOT stopper. I'll have to wander around a few autojumbles!!

TTFN

Jonathan