Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windscreen frame brackets.

My Sierra-based Henley has come with a windscreen frame but is missing: the screen (not really a problem), the bottom thingy which fits between glass and scuttle - no idea what it looks like (a fair problem), and mounting brackets (the biggest problem...)

I'm exploring making my own brackets by laminating aluminium plate (say, 10mm thick plates) to get the required thickness, and then shaping, filing and ultimately wet 'n drying it to a smooth finish. I'd love to cast them, but don't have the facilities (almost makes me wish I was still a Technology teacher).

What I really need before exploring this possibility, however, are some close-up photos to show what the brackets look like as the only NG I've seen in the flesh is my own, and that isn't much help.

Can anybody assist with this? I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

Re: Windscreen frame brackets.

I have a build manual for an original Nick green TA which has a drawing with dimensions of the triangular brackets which fix the screen frame to the body. I can e-mail you a copy. I don't know if they will do for your Henly but you are welcome to look.

Nigel L

Re: Re: Windscreen frame brackets.

Hi Donnie,
I'm not sure if the Henley windscreen was the same as the Nick Green TA, TC/TD/TF. The windscreens were furthur developed and improved by later owners of NG cars. Other club members will be able to help om that issue. The Nick Green TD/TC/TF shared a common windscren which has curved tops. The TA has 90 degree tops. Poor description but i think you'll see what i'm on about. The TC/TD/TF brackets changed very early on. Originally they were triangular as were the TA Brackets (Nigel mentions this and he has kindly just sent me scan of the build manual)...however the TA brackets were thin compared to the TC/TD/TF. Later the TC/TD/TE brackets were cast and had a more ellegant shape. They changed again when the main screen was modified by later owners of NG Cars. I can scan the relevant page from my TD build manual if that will help you and i'll try and get some photos sent of the TA and TD brackets.
Dave

Hi Nigel and Dave.

Many thanks, indeed, for replying. Yes, drawings would certainly be helpful if it's easy for you to email. Photos would also be much appreciated - there are clearly a few variations out there and, while I'm not looking to replicate the brackets perfectly (fat chance), I would like to keep a family resemblance if possible.

My frame is a very basic aluminium 'U' channel which has been bent to shape, so has curved top corners.

What usually goes between the screen and the scuttle? I guess I could just 'sikaflex' the screen to the body and fit a decorative chrome strip over it, but wonder if there was a 'production' NG item used here?

Thanks for your help. Donnie.

Re: Re: Windscreen frame brackets.

Donnie,

It sounds like you have the basic TC/TD/TD windscreen with you car. Between the screen and the fibreglass scuttle NG provided a shaped aluminium sheet. This was riveted to the screen frame and where it met the scuttle a piece of steel reinforced rubber door liner type of trim ws fitted over the edge of the ali sheet. It was then pushed down onto the scuttle. No nasty silkaflex or sealer is required.

It looks like i ought to send you a few more pages from the original build manual where it describes preparing and fitting the screen. Have you got as far as fitting the lift -the -dot fastners? Caution there. I'll e-mail you as this is getting a bit long.
Cheers Dave

happy to send photos,what part of the world are you in,do you have a tel no

Hi Tony. Thanks for the offer; I've emailed you.

Cheers.