Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Henley doors.

Does this help?
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/NG%20projects/?action=view¤t=pic8.jpg

Have project documented with photos.
email me if I can help.

Re: Re: Henley doors.

Hi Mel.

Yes, that helps a lot. Is this standard practice, or something you decided on yourself? (I presume it's a welded box-section frame?)

Thanks also for the offer of further help - much appreciated (and will probably be called on!)

Cheers, Donnie.

Oh, what exact model do you have?

Re: Re: Re: Henley doors.

My car is a NGTC V8 (was 1800 origionally).
The club did produce a booklet om my door converion at one time I belive. There is also stiffening hoops to restore strength to body.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Henley doors.

Cheers Mel.

It definitely needs something! I'll consider box section like yours, but will probably go for thick, glassed-in marine ply to add weight to the doors for that all-important 'clunk'!

Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Henley doors.

good luck.........hope it dont warp your doors.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Henley doors.

Ha ha. Good point.

It hopefully shouldn't tho', as marine ply is pretty stable - I don't think a piece that size will want to go anywhere.

I suppose heat, from hot days, could possibly have an effect? Hmmm. I think it should be ok; 'think I'll chance it...!

Thanks.

Re: Henley doors.

the door can warp not the ply. Ply is flat, door isnt.
Good luck

Re: Re: Henley doors.

Ah!

Yes, I have just realsied that the door has a pronounced curve to follow the car's body. Hmmm, back to the drawing board...

Once glassed in, the whole structure should be pretty solid and stable (many kit car manufacturers actually glass-in a ply panel into their bodytub's floors - or am I thinking of bathtubs here...)

What I can do is to use two sheets of thinner ply, and laminate them together in the curved shape - they should stay like this when glue has dried.

What have other builders done here? Is the steel frame a 'standard' solution?

Cheers.