Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NG TA - MGB - Fitting Auto gearbox

Hi Miichael, are you expecting to convert it before the heatwave is over......... .
Explored any other ways to get mobile?
Solenoid operated clutch cylinder, or simply a hand lever on gearstick?
Personaly I would fit a V8 and auto box, or nice Jap motor with auto. But wouldn't be up and running to soon.
Good luck m8

Hello Michael,

Taking up on Mels first suggestion, my initial thought was - Mad! It'll never work - solenoids are generally hard ON/OFF - not much use for slipping a clutch. (Sorry Mel, but bear with me...) Then I thought how to get some feel to a solenoid - ahh - Servo.... I read somewhere while surfing the net about Cobras and other V8's with very heavy clutches and found owners converting them to servo assisted using a brake servo. Could this be a solution? Some experimentation would be required with the assist ratio - but it may work. That's assuming you could operate a much lighter clutch.

I have a very early TA too! I haven't had time to trace the original builder / owner yet. Do you have any idea of how many TA's were made before the chassis gained cross braces and the rad cowl gained a lower valance?

Cheers,
Dave

Nice to see someone thinking. But it is easier than that. Think along the lines of reducing power to the solenoid slowly..................

Hi I dont think ramping the voltage to a solenoid would quite do the job that is if you could find a solenoid with enough grunt in the first place.

I think the hand clutch is well worth exploring well tried and it works.
But if you must go automatic fit an engine gearbox unit as a package,didn't the Marina 1800 have an auto variant?

Take a look at the unit circled, used on paddle to operate clutch. When paddle is released it rotates reducing power from electric powered clutch. Ok it was designed by Jordan F1, but just a thought.
Look here
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/DSCF0020A.jpg

Re: Re: NG TA - MGB - Fitting Auto gearbox

Nice one Mel but I don't think that little pot is actualy handling the energy required to engage and disengage the clutch mearly driving a servo of some kind which could be electric or hydraulic. In any event the use of a clutch in a single seat racing car is very different from that of a normal vehicle.
They are operated like a switch when I drove a formula ford some years ago I was told 2500 revs and just let it out no slipping just one smooth quick release or it's bye bye clutch.

2500, drop the clutch at 6000rpm then its straight to 10500 on my s/seater

But hand lever and maybe a servo wouldnt be hard to set up, and would be the cheapest way to go.