Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steering problem

I've just become the owner of a NG TF built 1989 based on 1972 MGB GT 1800. I wanted to changed the steering wheel and noticed the wheel travels about 3" in/out, after removing wheel it now only travels about 1" but is too far from the dash. I beleive from the build records its a collapsable column and there is no movement in the U/J's.
Any idea what the problem is or is there one?

THANKS
JIM

Re: Steering problem

Hi Jim
If it is a collapsible column (as mine is) then it has probably collapsed! There are two sections (cross-sectioned like a circle with two flats) which 'slide' inside each other (both of these are inside the outer casing). It is only nylon moulded pins which keep them in a fixed relative position lengthwise. If (as I did) you 'tap' the steering wheel to free it when removing it, you can overcome the pins and the column collapses. Maybe this has been done at some stage.
You can replace the column (though I am not sure if they are available) but I removed mine and linked the two halves permanently with suitable bolts/nuts.
This is not a problem because, on the NG, there are two u/js on the column which take the impact in an accident so the colapsible section is not essential.