Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NGTCV8 remote oil filter

I have an NGTCV8 which I did not build.
Where is the best place to fit the remote oil filter?
Mine at the moment is just behind the front cross member and hangs about 3 inches below. This to my mind is very exposed and asking for trouble.
Where is the best place to fit it and where do you route the pipes?

My battery is in the passenger footwell which:
a) takes up legroom
b) is a real b*gger to get at!!
There appears to be a well next to the petrol tank, but my car has this boarded over. Is this an alternative place to fit the battery or do other fit it elsewhere?

Does anyone have pictures of NGTCV8 engine bays?

Reporting back on my messages of a while back about the engine running really badly. It turned out to be the distributor. This must have been incorrectly fitted and right at the end of its adjustment that had caused the problem, when the engine waqs revved hard.
Now correclty installed and timed it runs a treat and lovely to hear that V8 burble again.
Now just need a new Kenlowe fan and an MoT and I will be back on the road.

Thanks

Martin

Re: NGTCV8 remote oil filter

Hi Martin,

I didn't like the remote location you describe, so i changed mine. The loop round of hose is excessive and drops arround 8psi of precious oil pressure. I relocated mine to the front NS clyinderhead. I made a bracket to hold the remote oil filter and a thermostatic take off plate. Pictures were published in the NGOC magazine a few issues ago. When i get a momment i send you some pictures. The hoses were made to measure and supplied along with the filter housing by Think Automotive. The stat is worthwile fitting as it helps the engine reach operating temp faster.

Battery - what ever you do keep it at the front. The space at back next to the tank is too small for a decent V8 battery.

My battey sits at the back and at 90 degrees to the battery well over it. I use two cables both go directly to the starter. One for positive and one for earth - it helps keep the cranking fast. Never had a starting problem since. When i get time the battery will be moved forward and still use two cables.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Re: NGTCV8 remote oil filter

Dave/Martin

You mention placing the battery 90 degrees over the (small) battery well. How have you secured the battery? I have wedged a slightly oversized battery into the well. I then 'jury rigged' a bungy strap across it. Not to sure this will be sufficient to pass an MOT. What do you think?

Regards
Mike

Re: Re: Re: NGTCV8 remote oil filter

Hello Mike,

The orignal battery had the standard type of clamp comprising two steel threaded rods and a steel connecting angle bar. I extended the original fastners by making two threaded adapters from some 10mm round stock steel. These screwed down on the original rods, then I added from the top additional studding. This very effectively raised the whole clamp. I added some extra rubber to protect the battery terminal near the clamp using some some surplus heater hose slit along it's length. Although the bottom ends of the rods are hooked into the fibre glass body i wanted to ensure they were fully isolated. I don't want the situation of sparks if i'm working underneath and touch the clamp with a spanner etc. A large area wodden spacer was dropped down between the battery and the NS NG body panel. The battery is a heafty range rover unit and sits completely over the well. It's not a long term solution but has been fine for the last two years!
I'll send you a few pictures when i can find them.
For you case and MOT - as long as the battery is secure and not going to move or tip over during hard cornering or over excessivly bumpy roads (The uk norm now?) it sounds fine - but i really can't say more unless i can be there and try to dislodge it to gauge how firm it is. Is the MOT inspector going to go into that level detail?
When is the MOT due? Cheers and hope you get a pass, dave

Re: Re: Re: NGTCV8 remote oil filter

Hi

Re: filter - I put mine on the near side inside edge of the chassis rail - pipes run under but close to the sump.

Re: battery - batteries for cranking v8's don't fit the hole in the boot - I did use a high power smaller size one to fit in but it gave up after a while. Mine is purched over the battery hole on a bit of ply with edging round so it can't move.

BTW - battery in the footwell is probably not a good idea from the gas ventilation point of view - hope you don't smoke !!!

Keith

Dave

Many thanks for the information. I have the original MGB GT 1800cc engine and don't require as much power to start the engine as your V8. I was going to get a smaller battery that fitted the Well. I went into Halfords last week and could not decide which battery to buy. I bought the current battery from MGBHive last year so it's the correct one, for a GT, but does not fit all the way into the Well. Goes in approx. 15% before becoming jammed tight.

The MOT is due this week but I have a fortnight off next week to test and resolve any problems found.

Regards
Mike

Hi Mike.

MOT testers don't, to my knowledge, lift the bonnet! Your bungeed battery should pass ok, although it probably isn't ideal.

My Marlin (sorry for cussing) went through its MOT a few months ago with the battery held in place - tightly - with a bungee. I don't believe this was checked; certainly no comment was made.

(Yes, I do also have an NG, hence a member of this club! One of them will have to go next year... I wonder which one )