Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Suspension

Well, I now have finally bought my TF chassis kit after reconditioning the donor bits and following a discussion with Nigel at Findhorn, I would like to hear the views of other builders regarding the suspension.

My donor car was a '71 GT and the rear springs are the 7 leaf version. Has anyone used these springs, and the front ones, on an 1800 TF or have builders used the less firm roadster ones.

I would like a firmish ride but do not want the car sitting up too high or feeling that there is no suspension at all.

Your views and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Re: Suspension

Peter, I used 7 leaf springs on my 1800 TF build. Motoring correspondents would describe the ride as firm, yet compliant - I would describe it as very firm. My wife doesn't complain which is the real litmus test. If you visit the SG7 Kit Car Club WebSite you'll see my green NG - allowing you to judge the ride height for yourself. Very best wishes for your build, you will have a lot of fun, John.

The reason for stronger springs on the heavier GT "should" be to keep the same relationship between the sprung and unsprung weight.
The softer roadster springs will still be stiffer than when in MGB (same unsprung weight less sprung weight).
My preference would be to use softest available and contol roll with anti roll bars (have done this on my TCV8 used for sprints and hill climb).

Hi Peter
I used the 'down rated' springs (front and rear) as recommeded by NG together with the spax adjustable dampers. The front is fine but the rear is somewhat low after 5000 miles and two years. I have just replaced them with standard springs for the MGB rubber bumper roadster which give me more height (still 6 leaves).
It is still comfortable but at the moment a little high though it should soon settle. If not I can always add a plate between the axle and leaf to lower it but I doubt I will need to.
My exhaust used to catch every time I put the car in or out of the garage, that is why it was so important for me to have a bit more height.
For original details see my web site www.ngkitcar.co.uk, I will add the modification details in due course.
Chris