Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Brake cylinder circlip

Hello

I am trying to fit a circlip onto the rear brake hydraulic cylinder (NGTD based on 1969 MGB GT). The circlip is unusually wide & hole-less. It won't just won't 'slide' in even with brute force. The surfaces, on both sides, are reasonably clean. The groove is visible.

They are also slightly bent by design. Does anyone know whether they go in 'bent out' (concave) or 'bent in' (convex) or does it matter?

There is a tool but is costs £20.95 ex. postage.

I have been given some suggestions:
1. Fairy liquid
2. Applying heat & item 1
3. Drill 2 holes and use circlip pliers

Any other practical suggestions would be much appreciated. MOT due soon.

Regards
Mike

Re: Rear Brake cylinder circlip

Mike, it is a long time since I had to fit one:
1) I don't know official orientation but I think I fitted them 'concave': in fact I am fairly certain that that is the correct way; impossible to fit 'concave' I'd think.
2) They are not designed to be spread ( ie. with circlip pliers ) when fitting. If I remember right, I have fitted them by tapping with a small hammer and/or the hammer and a drift.

hth

Nigel L

Hello Mike,

yes i agree with Nigel. Don't drill them and try to expand them. If they were supposed to have holes - they would have had holes and been true circlips. You will end up damaging them. Orientation i'm sure they only go in one way as Nigel says. I checked my workshop manual and it was no help to man or beast. I refitted rear clyinders to our TD last october but it wasn't too painful. When you say everything is reasnobly clean - have you extra thickness of hamerrite paint or similar on the backplates? The backplates on our TD were new, fitted by the 1st owner and they had only primer and a thin top coat. If the backplate is a touch thicker it will make starting the clip entry into the groove much more difficult. Another thought - are you using genuine lockheed parts or cheaper patten parts? From experience the cheaper brake clyinders don't always go together as well. Sorry - that's not very helpful as you already have the parts. If you have lots of lovely paint it will probably have to go. My Father and I made that mistake building our TF and really struggled to get the clyinders fitted and to fit and make work the handbrake levers. Again the TD no problem - little paint as new parts were fitted.
Orientation - the convex side should face the back plate and thus the concave should face away towards the diff. I'll e-mail a picture from my TA in a few minutes. Cheers dave

Nigel/Dave

Many thanks for the excellent information and photo. I will recheck the surfaces. I could clearly see the groove for the circlip on the cylinder but only from one side. However, it was the side I was trying to 'force' the clip onto. I will fit as Concave, as seen in the photo.

I note your comment on not drilling holes in the circlip. The width of the circlip and the absence of holes is by design.

Original Parts: When I bought the car it came with two new cylinders unfitted. The invoice was dated 2005 and headed MGOC.

I may buy the correct fitting tool and offer it for loan, in this Forum.

Regards
Mike
Norfolk/Lincs.
MB:07710 459873
1969 NGTD

I agree with your other respondants. The concave side towards the diff. Tap it in place gently with a drift. The first one I did, the clip broke in two so be prepared to order a spare! For further pics see my web site (www.ngkitcar.co.uk)
Chris

Re: Re: Rear Brake cylinder circlip

We seem to have a trend developing here - I too broke my first cylinder clip...!!! It's always comforting to hear of others having the same problem - you feel less foolish.

Hello

I used a bit of heat to splay the clip. I then pinched them back together when they were in position. They now sit fairly snuggly around the cylinder grove.

The garage where the MOT will be done said that they would have used a screwdriver and a hammer.

Regards
Mike