Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NGTC grill

The radiator grill on my car is only held by the pressure of the front shell moulding pushing the mesh against the Kenlowe fan.
Is this the normal way or is there a better method?
Currently I need about four hands to hold things in place while bolting up!

Also the bonnet is pivoted in what looks like a couple of old door bolts, is this the norm or again, is there a better method?

Thanks

Martin

Re: NGTC grill

Hi Martin.

Mine's a TF, but I think the nose cones are the same, and my grille is retained by small "p" clips fastened to the inner "thicker" parts of the nose cone with smallish self tappers. I would have thought that the bonnet would have the same piano hinge down the centre as well' but can't be certain. I'm sure a TC owner will let you know. HTH
Mark

Re: NGTC grill

Hi Martin,

Mark is correct, the radiator/front cowl was the same for the TD/TF and TC MGB based cars. The grill really should be positivly fixed in. On our TF we fibre-glassed in four aluminium or SS bars with a tapped hole in each. Small nylon P clips were then used to hold the grill. I hate self tapping screws - especially in fibre glass. They have a tendency to crack the gel coat, work loose, damage the surrounding lay and have a viscously way to remind you they are there and have sharp tips but scratching and cutting you.
NG supplied a decent brass hinge and many owners reinforced this with a length of angle along inside the bonnet. I'll send some Pictures later.
Cheers,
Dave

Re: Re: NGTC grill

If I remember right, the instructions with my TA kit were to place a few blobs of body filler inside the shell and to stick the grille mesh to them. After twenty-four years it is still stuck.

Nigel

Re: Re: Re: NGTC grill

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will fibreglass some bolts into place.

As an aside, does anyone else have trouble working out some these codes you have to enter before posting your message?

Martin