Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Q plate

Hi.

I am not yet a member, but I have been visiting your site for well over a year and I need some help.

I have just bought a Henley which needs some work.
The car is registered at present as a Kit conversion and it's on a Q plate, which I am, of course, trying to get changed.
On the current June 06, computer linked VT20 MOT cert. it states make, Henly kit car, and the Approx year of first use as 1971.
This being so, I thought it should be eligible for historic tax.

Contacting DVLA Swansea, they said there shouldn't be a problem, but I needed to send the details to my local DVLA Bristol. I took all the doc's I have to Bristol and asked too see the kit car rep, and was told they didn't have one, to leave the relevent doc's and someone would get back to me.

Time passes.

A letter comes back saying that "Microfilms of the original application (Nov 97) show the components to be of uncertain origin, therefore must remain on a 'Q' plate." unless "I can supply evidence to show the vehicle used".

I have contacted the builder, who worked in a Northampton scrap yard.
He had the chassis new, but unfortunatley does not have details, or evidence, to support what donor vehicles the early Cortina suspension and axle's, or the Fiat 132 engine and gearbox, come from.

So after all that, if you are still with me;

Do I have to accept its stuck on a 'Q' plate, or do one of you, esteemed, wiser than I, fountains of knowledge, have an idea where I can go from here.

This is the short version and should you need any more information please ask.
Many thanks.
Larry

Re: Q plate

I am not an expert but I would say; " Yes you are stuck with the 'Q' plate."

In order to have had a 'normal' registration the car would have needed to have been built from, substantially, one doner vehicle and evidence produced to show what that vehicle was.

Under certain cicumstances it may have been possible for it to be registered as a *new* car in the year that it was built but it would then need to comply with all the current regulations; emmisions for instance for that year of car, however I don't believe that that was an option once the SVA regulations came into force and I just can't remember when that was.

It is obvious from your description of your car that it has been built from used components from several vehicles: the fact that the original builder works in a scrap yard suggests that he had a wide range of doners to choose from

The information that your car was first used in 1971 would most likely be an anomaly, probably relating to the age of one of the vehicles that was used for the construction but does not *really* mean that it is a 1971 car elligable for 'free' road tax.

Some people have had problems with early build kitcars being incorrectly registered and subsequently falling foul of 'SVA regulations, and have suffered a lot of grief because of it.

Your car seems to be correctly registered for what it is and it may be prudent to accept it.

Hope that helps and doesn't dissapoint too much.

You may receive further replies to your question, either supporting my view, or otherwise.

Nigel

Hi Larry.

I'm afraid I suspect Nigel is correct. DVLA have, over the past years, actually relaxed the almost automatic application of Q plates to kits, as they acknowledge many owners don't find them desirable. Basically, if you could show that a minimum of 2 (I think) MAJOR components came from the same donor, you could, in most cases, get an age-related plate. Therefore, if you could have shown that the engine/box and axles came from the same car, and you had the reg no. of that car (and the engine number corresponded on the V5!), then you'd have a good case.

However, your car has a Fiat-sourced engine and box, with Ford axles etc; I'm almost certain this will mean a 'no', I'm afraid.

(The only, 'dodgy', way around this, I think, is to find an early (pre-73, if you are interested in historic status) Cortina, and fit the engine and box from that car. You could then claim that this Cortina was the SOLE donor, and chance your arm... Obviously, you'd have to go to a different office! Lots of pitfalls - when was your new 'donor' last transfered? etc!!!)

I thought so.
Thanks for your time, and replies.